Opinion Commentary & Media VI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a small win yesterday morning.

Ventured up to the local shops for the usual latte and newspapers purchase and managed to snare the last two copies of The Age and Herald Sun they had in stock (due to a smaller allocation with it being Easter Monday).

Went and grabbed my latte and noticed none other than bloody pompous nerd Gerard Whately wandering out of the newsagency empty handed.

Decided to duck back in and ask the newsagency owner (a massive Pies fan) if he had a go at Whately.

His response: “Well I would have but poor Gerard was too busy whinging about the fact he’d missed out on the papers enroute to today’s game!”

FUGW 👍
Absolute scenes in Ashy.

I had a small win yesterday morning.

Ventured up to the local shops for the usual latte and newspapers purchase and managed to snare the last two copies of The Age and Herald Sun they had in stock (due to a smaller allocation with it being Easter Monday).

Went and grabbed my latte and noticed none other than bloody pompous nerd Gerard Whately wandering out of the newsagency empty handed.

Decided to duck back in and ask the newsagency owner (a massive Pies fan) if he had a go at Whately.

His response: “Well I would have but poor Gerard was too busy whinging about the fact he’d missed out on the papers enroute to today’s game!”

FUGW 👍
Not sure why you would buy one copy of The Age, let alone two!

Might be worth a nmfc go fund me page just to snap them up every weekend to piss whately off

Alex Witherden

Eddie's company doing ok.

Shane Warne’s MCG state funeral cost $1.6 million​

By Lachlan Abbott

April 11, 2023 — 7.36pm

The Victorian government paid $2.8 million for major state funerals last year, with legendary Australian cricketer Shane Warne’s spectacular MCG send-off costing taxpayers $1.6 million, according to newly released government documents.
Warne’s funeral was the most expensive state memorial service last year. Media personality Eddie McGuire’s JAM TV production company was paid $1 million to stage and produce the star-studded event.
Cricketer Shane Warne was farewelled at an MCG state memorial service in March 2022.

Cricketer Shane Warne was farewelled at an MCG state memorial service in March 2022.CREDIT: EDDIE JIM/GETTY
Documents obtained under freedom of information laws by The Age show Warne’s memorial was almost triple the cost of the second most expensive state funeral in 2022 – the farewell for four police officers killed in the Eastern Freeway tragedy. That service at Marvel Stadium cost $584,204.
The third most expensive state funeral was for acclaimed Indigenous musician Archie Roach at the Sidney Myer Music Bowl ($254,170), followed by First Nations elder Uncle Jack Charles at Hamer Hall ($129,115), Seekers singer Judith Durham at Hamer Hall ($79,567), boxer John Famechon at Festival Hall ($67,347), and former Andrews government minister Jane Garrett at Brunswick Town Hall ($50,136).

The state memorial for Olivia Newton-John was held this year and its exact cost was not obtained by The Age, but a preliminary planning document from the Arts Centre in December suggested a proposed budget of up to $500,000.
Smaller state memorial services were also held last year for former governor and runner John Landy, and state politicians Tom Reynolds and Ronald “Bunna” Walsh. The exact cost of these funerals is unclear as The Age was asked to narrow its initial freedom of information request. However, the three additional services at smaller venues are not expected to add significantly to last year’s total cost for state memorials.

It is not known whether Warne’s $1.6 million state funeral is the most expensive in Victorian or Australian history, but few others have matched it as a TV spectacle. More than 50,000 people filled the MCG for the two-hour eventfeaturing panel discussions, emotional speeches from family and friends, and performances from musicians such as Elton John and Ed Sheeran.
Alongside the $1,013,191 paid to JAM TV for production and staging, $420,993 was paid to the Melbourne Cricket Club for MCG venue costs. Peter Jones Special Events – an event management company – received $89,934.

Former governors and ministers are generally entitled to a state funeral under conventions that vary from state to state. Prime ministers and premiers have also increasingly offered the honour at their discretion to distinguished citizens.
Explorers Burke and Wills were the first to receive a state funeral in Australia after perishing on their infamous cross-continent expedition. Revered Australian military commander and engineer Sir John Monash drew an estimated crowd of 300,000 people when his state funeral was held in 1931.

Shane Warne has been farewelled at a star-studded memorial at the MCG.

Footscray football legend Ted Whitten was one of the first sportspeople awarded a state funeral when he died in 1995. AFL legend Jim Stynes was another high-profile sportsperson given a state memorial when he passed away in 2012.
A Victorian government spokesperson said: “State memorials and funerals honour individuals’ outstanding service to Victoria – they afford Victorians an opportunity to mourn, celebrate and to recognise extraordinary contributions to our great state.”

RELATED ARTICLE​

Mourners at the MCG remember the life of Shane Warne.

Opinion​

Shane Warne

Shane Warne’s eccentric state memorial won over even the cynics

Scott Mitchell​

Figures obtained by The Age last year showed state funerals across Australia are overwhelmingly given to men. From 2002 to May 2022, just six of the 47 state funerals held by the Victorian government were for women.
In the same period, five of the 49 memorial services held by the federal government were for women.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You’d think that someone that high up and pun intended would be on a Digital Subscription for both Age and Hun

I’m but a lowly BF Moderator mate, and my salary package is mostly centred around blow and hookers. 😉

Does he use the same sanctimonious tone when complaining about the lack of newspapers?

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

I’ve spoken to him at the pedestrian lights a couple of times and he sounds exactly the same as he does on tv. Every comment is a declaration and every sound is of the nasal variety with that trademark whine to it.

Did you go with the "brace for contact" or the simple old "raise the elbow" as you knocked him to the ground?

If I did he’d certainly have my sentence set in stone within seconds. He’s stick thin and I was thinking how fortunate he was not to be facing a howling gale that day.

Absolute scenes in Ashy.

You know it H to h. 👍

It was one copy of each (the final remaining copies) and I’ve always bought both. The Age covers the sports off main street far better, like basketball and A-League soccer.

With both papers I don’t care for opinions printed by journalists, but for the info and quotes from those within the game/s.

I’m but a lowly BF Moderator mate, and my salary package is mostly centred around blow and hookers. 😉

I’ve spoken to him at the pedestrian lights a couple of times and he sounds exactly the same as he does on tv. Every comment is a declaration and every sound is of the nasal variety with that trademark whine to it.

If I did he’d certainly have my sentence set in stone within seconds. He’s stick thin and I was thinking how fortunate he was not to be facing a howling gale that day.

You know it H to h. 👍

It was one copy of each (the final remaining copies) and I’ve always bought both. The Age covers the sports off main street far better, like basketball and A-League soccer.

With both papers I don’t care for opinions printed by journalists, but for the info and quotes from those within the game/s.

Re Digital Subscription….NOT YOU …Gerald W….but yeh thanks for over sharing whatever it is you do 😂

SEN - Overreactions, positives, negatives & undroppables for all 18 AFL teams in Round 4

The Key Takeaway: Bring your A-game or North will get you

The Kangaroos are more than just a plucky young team enjoying the classic new-coach bounce, they have real systems and enough quality around the park to do some damage when it all clicks.

Harry Sheezel is already an A-grader across half back, Jy Simpkin has had a strong season, Cam Zurhaar is having a career-best year, Todd Goldstein remains evergreen, Nick Larkey is third in the Coleman and Luke Davies-Uniacke is now very clearly in the A+ bracket.

The Roos were down on personnel, but beat the Blues up at stoppages and outnumbered them at contests around the ground. They were the better team in the first half and finished stronger. Carlton’s third quarter avalanche proved the difference in the end.

Throw Griffin Logue and Ben McKay back into this team and they can absolutely scare a few across the remainder of the season.

The Positive: Midfield Bull

North Melbourne’s midfield unit right now is dangerous and causing headaches for opposition teams. They unquestionably won the battle against Carlton’s elite unit on Friday.

Cam Zurhaar attended eight centre bounces and was impactful particularly early on. He had two centre clearances and pushed forward hard, causing havoc. If he’d converted a few of his misses, he could’ve easily had a bag of five or six in the end.

The experiment is working and he is thriving on the inside alongside Davies-Uniacke, Simpkin and Will Phillips.

The Roos will hope that Ben Cunnington being subbed out lights a fire under him because his work at clearance could take them to another level if he finds form.

The Negative: Forwards badly beaten

Nick Larkey copped a knock early on, but even before that Jacob Weitering was winning the battle.

Larkey, who kicked seven on Carlton a few years ago, was soundly beaten by Weitering, who took 12 marks and thwarted the Roos on many occasions early in the game when they were in control.

Charlie Comben is still finding his feet at the level, but couldn’t impact against Lewis Young and the lack of a third marking option allowed Mitch McGovern to run riot – he was arguably the most impactful player outside of the Blues’ key forwards.

The Roos got their scoring from Zurhaar pushing forward and Jaidyn Stephenson bobbing up. But they need more contributors.

Nic Negrepontis

AFL reporters square off in fiery journo stoush in Carlton changerooms​

Bystanders in the Carlton rooms were shocked on Good Friday when a journo stoush broke out involving two news breakers. Get the details in Media Street.

Bias commentary was at the centre of an alarming journo stoush involving Channel 7’s newshound Tom Browne.

The confrontation between Browne and Marc McGowan, from the Age, happened in the Carlton changerooms after the Good Friday clash against North Melbourne.

Bystanders were shocked when Browne accosted McGowan over tweets he’d posted regarding Seven’s commentary of the previous night’s Brisbane-Collingwood game.

In particular he’d taken aim at Seven’s No. 1 caller ex-Magpie Brian Taylor.

“Can’t we just watch the game without BT telling us every second minute how close Collingwood is to getting back into this?!” McGowan tweeted.

While we’re sure BT can fight his own battles, it certainly fired up Browne who delivered a Mick Malthouse-type spray.

Eavesdroppers heard words like “bogan” and “idiot” with something along the lines of “who are you?” even thrown in.

McGowan didn’t back down, firing back just as strongly before the pair went their separate ways.

Bias is certainly a touchy subject for Browne, one of the best newsbreakers in the business, who works tirelessly to ensure he isn’t accused of that given his father Jeff is the Collingwood president.

Bystanders in the Carlton rooms were shocked on Good Friday when a journo stoush broke out involving two news breakers. Get the details in Media Street.

Bias commentary was at the centre of an alarming journo stoush involving Channel 7’s newshound Tom Browne.

The confrontation between Browne and Marc McGowan, from the Age, happened in the Carlton changerooms after the Good Friday clash against North Melbourne.

Bystanders were shocked when Browne accosted McGowan over tweets he’d posted regarding Seven’s commentary of the previous night’s Brisbane-Collingwood game.

“Can’t we just watch the game without BT telling us every second minute how close Collingwood is to getting back into this?!” McGowan tweeted.

While we’re sure BT can fight his own battles, it certainly fired up Browne who delivered a Mick Malthouse-type spray.

Eavesdroppers heard words like “bogan” and “idiot” with something along the lines of “who are you?” even thrown in.

McGowan didn’t back down, firing back just as strongly before the pair went their separate ways.

Bias is certainly a touchy subject for Browne, one of the best newsbreakers in the business, who works tirelessly to ensure he isn’t accused of that given his father Jeff is the Collingwood president.

Love the last line drive-by.

Look past the comic element of this piece.

The real purpose of this article is once again to turn the "journalists" into the story.

"Just don't look".

Nice work McGowan, i thought his original tweet was funny at the time.

Might as well just post the video. These are always the most interesting round reviews (not because of the hosts of course, purely because of the guest).

McGowan is one of the best journos going around. Only problem for him is he has had to actually earn every bit of success he's had.
McGowan is an actual journalist unlike so many others playing in the AFL media space, he got to where he is based on talent and hard work not on who his daddy was.

Look past the comic element of this piece.

The real purpose of this article is once again to turn the "journalists" into the story.

"Just don't look".
Yep.

Think they’re inside looking out.

Rather than outside looking in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back