Opinion Commentary & Media VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm willing to cop it. i'll cop it over the underperforming mid field and that we didn't have another KPD waiting that we drafted in 2028-2021.

but i'm not going to cop "you should've drafted curtin" when we already drafted dawson. if journo's want to dig the boots in at least have an logical arguement.
Sure but the counter is drafting the best key position player has a higher chance of succeeding than drafting one with pick 30.
I think the best counter argument re: Curtin is not the fact we picked a KPD later in the draft but the fact that he's someone who has stated that he doesn't want to be a KPD.

I'm surprised other journos haven't thought of this.
By that, do you mean you are surprised that other journos haven't thought of directly pillaging the North Big Footy forum and generating an article by using CTRL+C / CTRL-V?

BTW: Not having a go at you Lefty. It's just that the entire article is re-hashed weekly here on BF.

Well that’s quiet a huge amount of cash…to go to the footy…..as someone who is considering it for next year coming from vic…. If those prices continue….lots of genuine footy fans will simply pass and it may bring an end to this festive weekend….

He played well on the weekend but are they waiting for him to play a game like this and write an article?

Just seems ridiculous to be honest. I think most have moved on and good on him, he looks happy at Port. Wilson's article is just to be nasty and take a shot at North, not to be positive about JHF. If she wanted to do that she could've just written an article praising his improvement and natural progression in his game.
And as much as we all wish him to fail, we knew from his draft year and for much of the time he spent with us (at least when he wasn't sulking or acting unprofessionally) that he was a brilliant footballer worthy of number 1 in the draft.

By that, do you mean you are surprised that other journos haven't thought of directly pillaging the North Big Footy forum and generating an article by using CTRL+C / CTRL-V?

BTW: Not having a go at you Lefty. It's just that the entire article is re-hashed weekly here on BF.
Simpsons Thats The Joke GIF

Well that’s quiet a huge amount of cash…to go to the footy…..as someone who is considering it for next year coming from vic…. If those prices continue….lots of genuine footy fans will simply pass and it may bring an end to this festive weekend….

You’d book in Murray Bridge and drive in, heaps cheaper 😂

My argument with this article and Marc "Lilac" McGowan's article is the "Should have drafted Dan Curtin" is just pure laziness.

This is nothing against Dan Curtin but he hasn't played a game yet, he's unproved at AFL level and he's unproven as a KPD. So to suggest he would have made any difference on the weekend is ludicrous.

By all means write about how sh*t our defence is and how poor how our midfield has been but this constant revisiting of the 2023 draft 4 games into the season shows just how desperate the AFL media are for content.
Interested to know why you consider the opinion to be lazy ? It’s his opinion. He has looked at our choices and disagrees about the ones that we made. Don’t think that equates to laziness ?

*Journos sitting around a big table.

Boss man: “alright team, we need some stale and old ideas. Hit me with them”

Journo 1: something about the Tim Kelly trade. We will redo the draft of that year and come up with all the players that West Coast could of got instead”

Boss man: ‘when was the last time we did a story on that’

Journo 1: ‘3 days ago’

Boss man: ‘run it again with 8 words changed. Next’

Journo 2: we have an in-depth look at how some teams in the league seem to get all the benefits in regards to the fixture and exposure.

Boss man: ‘like how north Melbourne got those picks in the 20’s for nothing?’

Journo 2: no, like how the bigger clubs get the more prime time time slots, giving them greater exposure.

Boss man: *confused look

Journo 3: or, we run the story of all the benefits north got, but we had heaps more picks, to confuse and anger our readers.

Boss man: I like, I like. Speaking of North, when was the last time we ran a ‘who they should of picked’ article.

Journo 1: this morning sir. Should we bring it up on radio and tv

Boss man: you know the answer. I want their fans confused and angry. CONFUSED AND ANGRY

I'm not too fussed about this lack of defensive stocks article. Duursma was always the next best available correct pick. I think the problem is the currently the lack of defensive pressure up the field and the effects of our North ball when its turned over. No defense can cope with this.
I honestly think when Logue comes back and with Chom & with Kal Dawson or Pink as the defensive tall back 3 we will be OK. We also have a gun CHB 200cm Will Dawson waiting in the wings too.
not necessarily true, bc we had the opportunity to trade/split picks and get player(s) in to where we actually need them.

if we get pick #2 this year and there's another "generational midfielder" next in line to be picked, i'm sorry but it's simply not the right choice. 18 x Wardlaw's running around does not make a good or competitive team.

many if us (north supporters) felt like this last year and now ppl are acting angry at the articles echoing our concerns.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well looks here..apologies if it’s already been posted ..but hooley Dooley…
Talk about rewriting history, leaving out key aspects of what actually took place, to stump up a house of cards view point …and they wonder why journalists cop it….all time new low bottom of barrel stuff…but absolutely typical of this parasite.

Pigs are gunna pig. She's a disgrace.

Interested to know why you consider the opinion to be lazy ? It’s his opinion. He has looked at our choices and disagrees about the ones that we made. Don’t think that equates to laziness ?

You must have missed all of the earlier posts that categorically demonstrate the article was very poorly researched. The definition of lazy for a writer.

not necessarily true, bc we had the opportunity to trade/split picks and get player(s) in to where we actually need them.

if we get pick #2 this year and there's another "generational midfielder" next in line to be picked, i'm sorry but it's simply not the right choice. 18 x Wardlaw's running around does not make a good or competitive team.

many if us (north supporters) felt like this last year and now ppl are acting angry at the articles echoing our concerns.

‘Get players in where we actually need them’

Now this is just my opinion so it means F all, but WE NEED QUALITY PLAYERS EVERY F***KING WHERE. We were in no position to pick outside best available.

Surely Clarko before last draft: ‘alright we got our midfield set (even though we are getting beaten in nearly every measure), we will draft in our key backs and then we should be right for our grand final push’.

If we had drafted big then, we’d need to be drafting mids now.

And Curtin was such an unmissable pick, he lived in West Coasts back yard, and they still didn’t pick the bastard. And they have 1 decent backman.

I think it's lazy from 2 perspectives:
1. It's very easy to say we should have drafted Dan Curtin instead of Zane Duursma. We need a KPD and we took a forward instead. There's your article.

What it doesn't go into detail about, because it would require some research, is why we drafted Zane Duursma there is a reason we rated him so highly. Find out why talk to his junior coach, talk to our recruiting team. There is also a reason why we didn't draft Dan Curtin again find out why is it because he said he wants to play midfield? Is it because we don't see him as a KPD? Is it because we were worried about the go home factor? Who knows, I certainly don't but find out why and write that article that's a more interesting article to read.

"North Melbourne, desperate for key position defenders drafted Zane Duursma at pick 4 because they rated him as the best available player, Duursma is a smooth moving, natural forward who takes one-grab overhead marks and has no trouble consistently hitting the scoreboard an area of the Roos list that they feel needs addressing. Zane's AFL games to date have shown moments of brilliance, the young forward looks to be growing into his AFL career meanwhile Dan Curtin is yet to play a game.

North Melbourne were able to take a key position defender drafting Will Dawson with pick 22. Dawson was one of the most versatile tall prospects in the draft. Will is an imposing presence on field and while he might not start playing AFL games straight away the Kangaroos are confident that he will be defensive pillar for years to come."

2. The other reason I think it's lazy, and I'm projecting here, is I very much doubt it's his opinion, it doesn't offer anymore value or insight to what Marc "Lilac" McGowan wrote it's a me too article, there will be many more like this they just rehash each other's opinions.

Last edited:

Norwood hosting games where tickets are sold out is bullshit and shouldn’t be an option

Norwood hosting games where tickets are sold out is bullshit and shouldn’t be an option
Gather Round is shit.

Other than the few thousand that can be bothered going to SA, the rest of the football watching public couldn’t give a **** about the rest of it which is just a wankfest.

Now that SA business’ are starting to gouge punters for going to SA expect it to fall flat on its arse. The novelty will wear off very quickly if it becomes excessively overpriced to stay in Adelaide.

Who wants to pay for overpriced accomodation to stay in what is nothing more than a large suburban town to watch some footy.

Go and shout yourself a membership and a big screen TV for the same amount of money and enjoy the footy all year round.

This is a post called being in denial. Ask a fan who doesn't support NM or Sydney and people would overwhelmingly pick Logan McDonald.

Can things change? Absolutely and I hope it does but at this stage it's not even close.

One is playing regularly for a finals contending team, the other can't get a gig with arguably the worst team in the comp.

There were a few on here who questioned the Duursma selection at the time and gave good reasons for doing so. It's very early and a lot to play out but I see him as a risky selection who has a high upside but someone who could very easily be not one of the top 10 players of the draft class. He's that type of player. Whereas McKercher I can't see being a failure unless he gets injured. He's the style of player, with the required attributes who suits modern day AFL and has the tools to succeed.

If you're asking me now based on early evidence I think the guy from Melbourne Windsor will be in the top 2 or 3 from this draft class when the order is revised 4 or 5 years from now. Such a skilled and intelligent footballer who has composure far beyond his years.
eh the old "he plays regularly for a premiership contending team" addage doesn't really fly with me. he's playing third fiddle, he'd be playing second fiddle with us and we need contested markers, he isn't one. logan would be a more agile upgrade on CCJ imho. haven't seen him do anything that warrants a pick 3.

phillips has had glandular fever twice, he probably won't reach the peak he was meant to, so we'll never really know. most of the 2020 draft hasn't lived up to expecatiation due to covid.

Duursma could be the classy TT replacement that we need imho.

Gather Round is s**t.

Other than the few thousand that can be bothered going to SA, the rest of the football watching public couldn’t give a * about the rest of it which is just a wankfest.

Now that SA business’ are starting to gouge punters for going to SA expect it to fall flat on its arse. The novelty will wear off very quickly if it becomes excessively overpriced to stay in Adelaide.

Who wants to pay for overpriced accomodation to stay in what is nothing more than a large suburban town to watch some footy.

Go and shout yourself a membership and a big screen TV for the same amount of money and enjoy the footy all year round.

Did it this year. It was okayish

Did it this year. It was okayish
Did it cost you a bomb like the media are reporting and on reflection was it worth the time, money and effort to watch a game of footy?

I myself don’t see the attraction in it. If I wanted to visit Adelaide, which I have and have no desire to go back there as there isn’t a lot to do (unless your are a wine fiend), I would do it another time and pay a fraction of the money.

I have relatives that live in Adelaide that I could stay with and I still couldn’t be ****ed going. I would only want to watch North anyway and going to a shithole like Norwood oval isn’t my idea of a great time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back