Opinion Commentary & Media VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'd love to hear a review of Gather Round from someone who wasn't there on a junket organised and paid for by the SA Government and/or the AFL. I've heard words to describe Adelaide such as 'vibrant', 'hospitable' and 'lively' yet from my experience it's none of those things. I heard about the wealth of thing to do in Adelaide but again, from experience each time I've been we got to early afternoon before thinking about what else there could possibly be to do besides head out to the hills, Kangaroo Island or Barossa - and even those are kind of quaint and sedate.

Maybe it's like the party you weren't invited to - no matter how good it was you can't get excited about hearing of it because 'you had to be there.' For me, it was just a round of football where I couldn't attend a game. And aside from the tiresome fawning over how good it was, the TV coverage failed to portray any real excitement. Maybe full stadiums of largely neutral supporters will do that.

Anyone here go? Apart from North being the worst performed team (again), is it really that good? It feels like a beat up.

Yeh I went; fire away

The boys and I went to gather round. Saw 5 games of footy live. We thoroughly enjoyed it. Adelaide CBD isnā€™t half bad and the people were very friendly. The Adelaide Oval itself and the precinct is first class. It wasnā€™t cheap but nothing is these days sadly. Special thanks to Jonnoo for the spare tickets to the Norwood game. We will definitely go again next year. Hopefully the club comes over also :)

Yeh I went; fire away

So what was it?

A veritable festival of footy with fans tripping around decked out in team colours and preaching love and understanding of their differences, loving thy brother like a footyised version of the Haight-Ashbury Summer of Love?

Or just another round of footy except with more mullets, moccasins and people tolerating drinking Coopers?

if we picked curtin we'd have been reamed for not picking the clear number 4 in duursma. For all we know dawson could be better than curtin, both haven't played an AFL game. Niether curtin or dawson would've done anything for us in their first year.

Phillips over logan is still TBC if it was the right decision. Logan hasn't done much, a few joe the gooses isn't worth a pick 3. haven't seen one decent contested mark from him.
He's equal 4th in the comp for goals and Will can't even get a gig as an emergency in the worst team in the comp. I think four years in we can probably judge the decision. We ****ed up!

So what was it?

A veritable festival of footy with fans tripping around decked out in team colours and preaching love and understanding of their differences, loving thy brother like a footyised version of the Haight-Ashbury Summer of Love?

Or just another round of footy except with more mullets, moccasins and people tolerating drinking Coopers?
It was epic, she played all the hits and then we swapped friendship bracelets with everyone else in the crowd.

So what was it?

1. couldnā€™t get tickets for 4 adults to our game and thanks to all the offers but we were all going together or not all; so that was disappointing

2. Accomodation was out at Pt Adelaide and it was great. So we werenā€™t too involved with the CBD but had a great time

3. Loved the Barossa and Hahndorf

4. Went to the Pies v Filth game and it was great

5. It was much more pleasant than 2016 with all the Teams there and not just swamped by one Team (Crows/PA)

6. It was a great little break

Probably might go again but only if North play at a larger venue and thereā€™s more access to tickets

It was epic, she played all the hits and then we swapped friendship bracelets with everyone else in the crowd.
taylor swift haters gonna hate GIF

Did you drink them with a straw and an umbrella hanging out the top?
Why would that be the case?

How ****ing old are you? Iā€™m guessing 60+

Some of your footy opinions I value.
Your comments on modern life are so far off the mark itā€™s not funny.

What year are you living in mate?

Cringe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's equal 4th in the comp for goals and Will can't even get a gig as an emergency in the worst team in the comp. I think four years in we can probably judge the decision. We ****ed up!
It's round 4, Bruce kicked 10 on us in one game.... Being 4th in the Coleman is meaningless at this time.

Like I said, the 2020 draft was f*cked anyway, but Phillips has had glandular fever twice. I think you underestimate the condition...

On Pixel 6 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hey mate.
Whatā€™s it called?
Always after something new / a bit different.
You rate it?
It's called Eddie and Jimmy
It's ok...it's mostly just Ed pontificating about how he'd make the AFL and the world better.
I have The Sounding Board and Backchat ahead of it, those are my 2 favourite pods each week.

1. couldnā€™t get tickets for 4 adults to our game and thanks to all the offers but we were all going together or not all; so that was disappointing

2. Accomodation was out at Pt Adelaide and it was great. So we werenā€™t too involved with the CBD but had a great time

3. Loved the Barossa and Hahndorf

4. Went to the Pies v Filth game and it was great

5. It was much more pleasant than 2016 with all the Teams there and not just swamped by one Team (Crows/PA)

6. It was a great little break

Probably might go again but only if North play at a larger venue and thereā€™s more access to tickets
Out of interest, since you were staying down there, did you eat or drink at many/any port adelaide restaurants or pubs?
Iā€™ve got a few mates that work at & or own businesses there.
Low & Slow Barbecue, for example. Unreal food & service.

Totally agree itā€™s frustrating how quickly tickets to our game disappeared. Especially since half he crowd left in the third quarter to go to the Power game. Feel like many of our supporters missed out on what was a unique experience.

(Shoutout to bhoysdontcry67 - my daughter & I loved it. A special night, regardless of the score).

IMG_6728.jpeg

Glad you mostly enjoyed the time here Gaso.

Iā€™m born & raised in Adelaide, but my 7 years in Melbourne & love of the NMFC has me pretty emotionally tied to what I consider one of the absolute best cities in the world.
Iā€™m still always happy to hear when people enjoy my home town though.

I'd love to hear a review of Gather Round from someone who wasn't there on a junket organised and paid for by the SA Government and/or the AFL. I've heard words to describe Adelaide such as 'vibrant', 'hospitable' and 'lively' yet from my experience it's none of those things. I heard about the wealth of thing to do in Adelaide but again, from experience each time I've been we got to early afternoon before thinking about what else there could possibly be to do besides head out to the hills, Kangaroo Island or Barossa - and even those are kind of quaint and sedate.

Maybe it's like the party you weren't invited to - no matter how good it was you can't get excited about hearing of it because 'you had to be there.' For me, it was just a round of football where I couldn't attend a game. And aside from the tiresome fawning over how good it was, the TV coverage failed to portray any real excitement. Maybe full stadiums of largely neutral supporters will do that.

Anyone here go? Apart from North being the worst performed team (again), is it really that good? It feels like a beat up.
I went with a group of 8 as we did last year, and honestly loved it again. Norwood food and wine festival was unreal, one of the highlights. It is what you make of it, if youā€™re there purely for the footy it would be a fairly average trip. The lowlight was watching our game in all honesty.

Dill and the premier said they are planning a couple of games next year in the Barossa Valley, where ground will hold 4K apparently. You just know we're going to be scheduled out there against probably WC

So what was it?

Out of interest, since you were staying down there, did you eat or drink at many/any port adelaide restaurants or pubs?
Iā€™ve got a few mates that work at & or own businesses there.
Low & Slow Barbecue, for example. Unreal food & service.

Totally agree itā€™s frustrating how quickly tickets to our game disappeared. Especially since half he crowd left in the third quarter to go to the Power game. Feel like many of our supporters missed out on what was a unique experience.

(Shoutout to bhoysdontcry67 - my daughter & I loved it. A special night, regardless of the score).

View attachment 1954137

Glad you mostly enjoyed the time here Gaso.

Iā€™m born & raised in Adelaide, but my 7 years in Melbourne & love of the NMFC has me pretty emotionally tied to what I consider one of the absolute best cities in the world.
Iā€™m still always happy to hear when people enjoy my home town though.

Oh, and yet again I failed to try a Pie FloateršŸ˜Ÿ

I was lucky enough not to have to pay for my accommodation, and drove over with a mate. Great vibe, got to see 6 games of footy and chat to heaps of strangers who were all in a good mood.
I've only been to Adelaide a few times but I've always liked it and this was no different.
The only thing I missed out on was catching up with Gasometer šŸ˜¢

Another grub nothing story, jay Clark has quite the negative reporting on North over the years. Stating we received early draft picks via draft concessions to get shezeel, Wardlaw, dursma is wrong, to say we got a draft pick for magoo leaving we'll I hate to break it to you Jay every club gets that

2db952ae-6465-4ab4-a1a3-f884e20080cd~2.jpeg 2db952ae-6465-4ab4-a1a3-f884e20080cd~2.jpeg

not necessarily true, bc we had the opportunity to trade/split picks and get player(s) in to where we actually need them.

if we get pick #2 this year and there's another "generational midfielder" next in line to be picked, i'm sorry but it's simply not the right choice. 18 x Wardlaw's running around does not make a good or competitive team.

many if us (north supporters) felt like this last year and now ppl are acting angry at the articles echoing our concerns.
I agree. We shouldnā€™t be using more exceptionally high picks on mids.

But we do need another piece to the midfield. A strong, defensively capable and powerful bull to dish it out to our explosive mids.

I still believe we have answer staring at us in the VFL (Phillips), but Clarkson has ideas on him (which are frustratingly not communicated).

While the cream will always rise to the top, we can see a swathe of handy inside players in opposition 23s picked outside the top 5, going all the way into the 40s.

The reality is that in the short term it would have made more sense going with Kerch and Sanders last year.

We need to be thinking about list balance this year and go into the draft with another three picks in the 5-25 range in order to pick an inside bull, a small forward, a general defender, a kPF and KPB (not in that order).

Another grub nothing story, jay Clark has quite the negative reporting on North over the years. Stating we received early draft picks via draft concessions to get shezeel, Wardlaw, dursma is wrong, to say we got a draft pick for magoo leaving we'll I hate to break it to you Jay every club gets that

View attachment 1954245View attachment 1954245
It's cool to hear Essendon praised for aggressively going after McKay and North scorned for the free hit they got to get Duursma with šŸ‘

Dill and the premier said they are planning a couple of games next year in the Barossa Valley, where ground will hold 4K apparently. You just know we're going to be scheduled out there against probably WC
Need to object to these farmers and suburban tracks. Why not just take the game to Gippsland, or Orange, or the Pilbara.. rubbish, non professional sport.

If it wasnā€™t for the kangas I wouldnā€™t follow this rubbish. Its a clown show, profit over legitimate fair competition.

One washed out weather impacted weekend and the whole thing will be a shitshow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back