Opinion Commentary & Media VII

Remove this Banner Ad

This is indicative that the AFL is pursuing a strategy of increasing player celebrity. I think it’s smart. Superstars and household names are essential for eyeballs and water cooler chat.

Yes, but frankly, fork that. What most of us want, I believe, is not a never-ending financial/popularity growth for the sport - but as-close-as-you-can-get to a level playing field competition in which we can showcase the absolute best thing about the game: the game.

Yes, the game needs to prosper, and the custodians of it need to have a plan to stop the encroachment of other sports diluting interest and participation in footy. But I refuse to believe that mandates prioritising the income the game generates over just about all else. And we go further in that direction each year.

I thought he looked like McKercher
Glasses Why Dont We Have Both GIF by nounish ⌐◨-◨

Still makes me sick.

Every year I see him helping at training or on gameday and comment "he could run out for us right now and be justifiably in the best 22."

Maybe one day around 2040 it'll no longer be true.

Broke his leg last year so probably not 2024

2017-2020… well we had Polec breaking the lines week after week picking up all those accolades

Isn't this likely to significantly disadvantage smaller clubs?
Yes, that was my point and reason for posting haha.

It's not a targeted attack on NMelb, and we won't be the only club it hurts. Saints, GWS, Suns, Freo, and a few others (Brisbane?) will also feel the burn in regard to player retention.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hate decisions being affected by “good guy” considerations as much as anybody (Judd, Cripps in the past). However, I like Heeney. He’s by no means s dirty player, by any stretch. I feel sorry for him losing out on his chance to win the Brownlow. I reckon I’d put him in the same boat as Corey McKernan on the hard luck side of things. Unfortunately, the blood pumping out of Webster’s nose was so clear for all to see meant it had to play out like it did, I think.

Apologies if it’s already been posted elsewhere…but it’s nice to see other footy identities calling out yesterday’s rubbish headline.

Unfortunately, the sad fact is the headline achieved exactly what it wanted - plain and simple. It generated lots of commentary and sold extra copies of the newspaper. Nobody at the West Australian is looking for journalistic awards off the back of it. They win, either way. The rest of us have to content ourselves with righteous indignation - which is always a tad pathetic look, unfortunately. 🤣

Last edited:
Man, this whole simmo and newspaper thing really makes me hope he feels the need to…come down and bring whoever the **** he can to North.

Nice, one dickheads. You put Reid on every paper but after he sends a message about Simpson being a good coach you post that on your front page.

Let’s see how well that works for the kid who values ‘family’.

Yes, that was my point and reason for posting haha.

It's not a targeted attack on NMelb, and we won't be the only club it hurts. Saints, GWS, Suns, Freo, and a few others (Brisbane?) will also feel the burn in regard to player retention.
Sort of agree. However, there’s nothing stopping the present North Melbourne setup building the club into a far more “desirable” and successful destination. We’ve been a very beige and boring club since the demise of the Carey days. Right now, Sonja, Sheez, Wardlaw, McKercher, LDU and Larkey + others have positioned us to be a very successful “boutique” club - if we play our cards right. The “value” of Sonja should not be underestimated. Suddenly, we look good to a host of people who, in the past, would have considered us backward thinking and a male dominated boys club - rightly or wrongly.

Unfortunately, the sad fact is the headline achieved exactly what it wanted - plain and simple. It generated lots of commentary and sold extra copies of the newspaper. Nobody at the West Australian is looking for journalistic awards off the back of it. They win, either way. The rest of us have to content ourselves with righteous indignation - which is always a tad pathetic look, unfortunately. 🤣
Did it “sell” anything though? Except for whatever ad space they have on that page it’s all free looks - no one is buying extra subscriptions or extra paper copies on the back of it. It feels more like a vanity exercise which makes that journalist and the editor feel important but doesn’t actually create value. And it’s a one-off hit even for the ads. They can invent shit headlines until the cows come home but they will get better content if they have better relationships with players and coaches.

Did it “sell” anything though? Except for whatever ad space they have on that page it’s all free looks - no one is buying extra subscriptions or extra paper copies on the back of it. It feels more like a vanity exercise which makes that journalist and the editor feel important but doesn’t actually create value. And it’s a one-off hit even for the ads. They can invent shit headlines until the cows come home but they will get better content if they have better relationships with players and coaches.
Agree, H2H.
Edit :- I was taking a defeatist stance. 🤣

Last edited:

Opinion Commentary & Media VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Back