Opinion Commentary & Media VII

Remove this Banner Ad

theoretically we have lost a lot of top end talent when you tally up all the nicknames old mate has,

in a single trade we lost,
-no chase jase,
-corn frances,
-mummys boy
-fabian Jr
-horney
-hornet
-JHF

sorta reads like a mock melbourne cup field.
Kochie's Kid
DadwantsanewMG
Sook it up son
Ice Bath
You're shit (#Jack Silvagni)

Lol I know you're not this simple
Is he wrong though?

It is a contact sport. Punish when it comes to bumping/cheap shots and sling tackles but in a non-sling motion there's nothing that can be done. Players will just allow them to go without hindrance for an easy goal. That's a great way to play footy 👍.

You can argue mitigating risks all you want but it doesn't look like that. They are heading towards touch footy.

Make players sign a waiver regarding concussion and general injury risk. If you're concerned, don't play. This doesn't have to be complicated. Simplify the dos and do nots for all players.

This grey area bullshit needs to stop.

Is he wrong though?

It is a contact sport. Punish when it comes to bumping/cheap shots and sling tackles but in a non-sling motion there's nothing that can be done. Players will just allow them to go without hindrance for an easy goal. That's a great way to play footy 👍.

You can argue mitigating risks all you want but it doesn't look like that. They are heading towards touch footy.

Make players sign a waiver regarding concussion and general injury risk. If you're concerned, don't play. This doesn't have to be complicated. Simplify the dos and do nots for all players.

This grey area bullshit needs to stop.

People are trying to simplify what is a complex issue. Players obviously accept risks in playing a contact sport, but that doesn't absolve the employer (the AFL) of needing to provide a safe work environment and mitigate against any reasonably foreseeable risks. Where that responsibility lies is different to where it was even five years ago, because we know so much more now about the long term effects of head trauma.

The idea that the AFL could just tell players to sign waivers is fanciful.

People are trying to simplify what is a complex issue. Players obviously accept risks in playing a contact sport, but that doesn't absolve the employer (the AFL) of needing to provide a safe work environment and mitigate against any reasonably foreseeable risks. Where that responsibility lies is different to where it was even five years ago, because we know so much more now about the long term effects of head trauma.

AFL isn't a supply chain company or a construction business...

It's a organisation that facilitates 22 players going at each other. How do you mitigate risks when the game is unpredictable?

It's the modern-day version of putting a little warning on the cigarette packet. How did that work to absolve the tobacco companies of their liability?

As people have said and Masked Avenger l hope will back me on, you cannot sign away your rights to sustaining an injury in your employment.

Then dont play. If you dont want the risk associated playing a contact sport, go play soccer
Interestingly, my kid is in junior AFL but for many parents there's a preference towards soccer on safety alone.

The AFL probably need to consider participation numbers in junior sports as that's the draft pool of the future.

Our junior club hasn't been able to fill a number of teams at different year levels as those kids that like sports moved to soccer and basketball.

Tom De Koning has a collapsed lung and a foot fracture, Harry McKay cleared after head knock controversy​

A key Carlton big man is done for the next five weeks at least but the news is better after Critics teed off at the Blues for leaving a star forward on the field after a heavy knock.

July 22, 2024 - 1:57PM

Carlton has taken a hit in the run to the finals with ruckman Tom De Koning set to miss the rest of the home and away season after suffering a collapsed lung and a foot fracture in Sunday’s win over North Melbourne.

De Koning, who had hit foot stepped on early in the match which caused the fracture, then also copped a hit from Kangaroos ruckman Tristan Xerri during the last quarter.

He tried to play on after a chat with club medical staff, and took two more ruck contests before being taken from the field for the rest of the game and reported breathing issues.

Subsequent tests revealed the internal issue and he was sent to hospital for treatment, where the foot fracture was confirmed ruling him out until at least the start of the finals in a blow for the second-placed Blues.

“As tough as the news is for Tom, first and foremost we are pleased he is feeling okay and recovering, following his treatment in hospital overnight,” Carlton General Manager of Football Brad Lloyd said.

“Tom reported symptoms of being unwell within half an hour of the game finishing, so the priority for us was immediately ensuring he got the treatment he needed and he is now recovering with the appropriate care around him.

“Tom will undergo surgery this week to correct his foot injury, which we expect will sideline him for the remainder of the home-and-away season, and we will continue to monitor his recovery over that period of time.”

Marc Pittonet looms as his replacement.

But while De Koning could be sidelined for the immediate future, Carlton forward Harry McKay has been cleared of any issues amid criticism of the club’s handling of an incident in which the goalkicker seemed dazed following a heavy collision.

Blues coach Michael Voss defended the action’s of the club’s medical which went minutes before attending to McKay, who kicked a goal before eventually being taken from the field for an assessment.

He was cleared to return, had no issues post match and on Monday was again found to have no issues after more testing and he’s set to take his place in Friday’s clash with Port.

Several pundits were stinging of Carlton’s handling of the situation but Voss was adamant the protocols were followed and that McKay “got the care he needed”.

“I couldn’t speak to specifics of the time, but what I do know is the protocol was there and we got notified that we needed to get him off the ground,” Voss said.

“He came off the ground, went into the protocols and fortunately he was able to respond and be okay. He was able to keep the game going.

“The downside was we had to hold our tactical sub to work out whether we needed to change Harry or not. That’s a different discussion maybe in time, but certainly not today. I feel like we followed what we needed to and Harry got the care he needed.”

But star wingman Blake Acres has been sent for scans.

Acres was subbed out of the win over North Melbourne with what Voss said were “ bumps and bruises” but would now need to be cleared to play against Port.

“He was hobbling around a bit with a couple of bumps and bruises he was battling with and probably wasn’t moving as well,” Voss said.

“He was keen to go on, but we just felt we had some fresh legs so once we knew Harry was okay, we could go with something different.”

As people have said and Masked Avenger l hope will back me on, you cannot sign away your rights to sustaining an injury in your employment.
Is it signing away your rights or acknowledging the risk and your willingness to take the risk, in other words giving leeway for players to engage in contact in a contact sport recognising that sometimes this may incur injury to the player that they are willing to risk? This would provide some guidance to the AFL when looking at the rules and umpires when applying the rules so a dangerous tackle for example would really have to be a dangerous tackle not an almost sling tackle or gee he almost grazed the ground with his head. In conjunction the AFL should be instructing umpires to crack down on players playing for head high contact, that is dangerous but easily exploited under the current interpretation of the rules.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interestingly, my kid is in junior AFL but for many parents there's a preference towards soccer on safety alone.

The AFL probably need to consider participation numbers in junior sports as that's the draft pool of the future.

Our junior club hasn't been able to fill a number of teams at different year levels as those kids that like sports moved to soccer and basketball.
Soccer has always had greater participation at youth levels. Has been for as long as I can remember. When boys hit puberty they like having contact in their sport. I would like to see a participation breakdown through stages of development.

If a team is a premiership chance they shouldn't need their main ruck to come back on in pain against 17th place.

That just tells me they are desperate. Top 4 my arse.

The olde concussion test which I still don’t anything about allows McKay to come back on . Telling you this will cost teams games but in the reverse. Certain teams are allowed to get away with it and others are not.

If a team is a premiership chance they shouldn't need their main ruck to come back on in pain against 17th place.

That just tells me they are desperate. Top 4 my arse.
if they finish top 4 (or top 2) they're a chance as long as the grand final is at the MCG. On neutral ground there's 4 or 5 sides better than them but against Sydney or Brisbane on the MCG I reckon it's 50-50.

Baffling they brought tdk back on with a fractured foot and collapsed lung. Duty of care from many of the clubs this year has been disgraceful
He didn't have the collapsed lung at that point, that occurred in a separate later incident (which to be honest looked quite innocuous). So X will probably get 4 weeks for it.

And don't think they would have known that his foot was fractured until after he went for scans.

Tom De Koning has a collapsed lung and a foot fracture, Harry McKay cleared after head knock controversy​

A key Carlton big man is done for the next five weeks at least but the news is better after Critics teed off at the Blues for leaving a star forward on the field after a heavy knock.

July 22, 2024 - 1:57PM

Carlton has taken a hit in the run to the finals with ruckman Tom De Koning set to miss the rest of the home and away season after suffering a collapsed lung and a foot fracture in Sunday’s win over North Melbourne.

De Koning, who had hit foot stepped on early in the match which caused the fracture, then also copped a hit from Kangaroos ruckman Tristan Xerri during the last quarter.

He tried to play on after a chat with club medical staff, and took two more ruck contests before being taken from the field for the rest of the game and reported breathing issues.

Subsequent tests revealed the internal issue and he was sent to hospital for treatment, where the foot fracture was confirmed ruling him out until at least the start of the finals in a blow for the second-placed Blues.

“As tough as the news is for Tom, first and foremost we are pleased he is feeling okay and recovering, following his treatment in hospital overnight,” Carlton General Manager of Football Brad Lloyd said.

“Tom reported symptoms of being unwell within half an hour of the game finishing, so the priority for us was immediately ensuring he got the treatment he needed and he is now recovering with the appropriate care around him.

“Tom will undergo surgery this week to correct his foot injury, which we expect will sideline him for the remainder of the home-and-away season, and we will continue to monitor his recovery over that period of time.”

Marc Pittonet looms as his replacement.

But while De Koning could be sidelined for the immediate future, Carlton forward Harry McKay has been cleared of any issues amid criticism of the club’s handling of an incident in which the goalkicker seemed dazed following a heavy collision.

Blues coach Michael Voss defended the action’s of the club’s medical which went minutes before attending to McKay, who kicked a goal before eventually being taken from the field for an assessment.

He was cleared to return, had no issues post match and on Monday was again found to have no issues after more testing and he’s set to take his place in Friday’s clash with Port.

Several pundits were stinging of Carlton’s handling of the situation but Voss was adamant the protocols were followed and that McKay “got the care he needed”.

“I couldn’t speak to specifics of the time, but what I do know is the protocol was there and we got notified that we needed to get him off the ground,” Voss said.

“He came off the ground, went into the protocols and fortunately he was able to respond and be okay. He was able to keep the game going.

“The downside was we had to hold our tactical sub to work out whether we needed to change Harry or not. That’s a different discussion maybe in time, but certainly not today. I feel like we followed what we needed to and Harry got the care he needed.”

But star wingman Blake Acres has been sent for scans.

Acres was subbed out of the win over North Melbourne with what Voss said were “ bumps and bruises” but would now need to be cleared to play against Port.

“He was hobbling around a bit with a couple of bumps and bruises he was battling with and probably wasn’t moving as well,” Voss said.

“He was keen to go on, but we just felt we had some fresh legs so once we knew Harry was okay, we could go with something different.”

Michael Christian will be all over this.

Tristan you hurt him, you can have 3 weeks.

Soccer has always had greater participation at youth levels. Has been for as long as I can remember. When boys hit puberty they like having contact in their sport. I would like to see a participation breakdown through stages of development.
Would be interesting, I haven't looked at that so just considering through the lens of my kid and his mates which is a pretty small sample size.

The little bloke is at the start of his sports journey and is loving the contact stuff. Mums on the other hand, would prefer he didn't play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Commentary & Media VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Back