Premium Platinum
May 11, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
It's a dinosaur mates club from the 80s and 90s

Dermott, Jason, BT, Richo, Kelli, Brown :sick:

FMD it kills my ears!

Turning off the audio isn't an option.

Is there any way to remove this lot and a few others without resorting to skullduggery!?

Have we actually got any decent commentators ?

The best ones are stuck in the myriad of state or local football. Jason Bennett probably the best caller in Australia but not "one of the boys" so won't get a look in.

Cannot stand any of that boys club, is just a circle jerk.

Ideal calling line up?

I really like Sarah Jones, she fits in with the boys on a Saturday night and seems to know her stuff. Is a good Bombers girl too which is nice to see someone support Essendon in the media (* Lloydy)

Be best if Fox could offer all games with different commentary - be happy for a non bullshit race caller with perhaps one decent special comments operator to do them. As it stands it is legit like listening to Jerry Lawler in some games - beggars belief.

Alastair Nicolson and Jason Bennet by far the best. Hudson and Whately very good too. Can’t stand James Brayshaw, won’t listen to his garbage. Don’t go near TripleM, just a bunch of tossers, except I don’t mind BT. The VFL team on seven Jason Bennet, Nigel Carmody and Campbell Brown are very good and should be AFL every week.

Of the ones I'm familiar with, Bennet, Hudson and Whately are good. Starts getting pretty thin after that.
He's a bit of a knob, but Quarters was really good when 10 had the footy, as was the late, great Clinton Grybas.
Brayshaw would be a good commentator if he just stuck to calling the game.

To me commentators just need to call the play, not have in-jokes and seeing who can out-banter the other.
Pre-requisites (which most don't have):
Know the rules
Know the players
Less opinion

Alastair Nicolson and Jason Bennet by far the best. Hudson and Whately very good too. Can’t stand James Brayshaw, won’t listen to his garbage. Don’t go near TripleM, just a bunch of tossers, except I don’t mind BT. The VFL team on seven Jason Bennet, Nigel Carmody and Campbell Brown are very good and should be AFL every week.

Whately is an absolute bore. Total dork that looks like he couldn't hit a target 20 meters away.

I'll ask this here as it is as good a place as any. What the hell are dukes? Channel 7 commentators reference them from time to time and I have no idea what this means. I have never heard anyone ever in the years of following footy say this.

They are mostly garbage but that's what happens when you give free pass into the industry for players with no experience or who can't string two sentences together.

There are exceptions of course but it's no surprise that those who haven't played are largely thought of as some of the best in the business - Whately, Bennett, Hill, Papalia, Nicholson.

Can't stand BT, Dwayne, Underwood. And thank god we barely have to suffer through Hamish any more.

Whately is an absolute bore. Total dork that looks like he couldn't hit a target 20 meters away.

What does his football ability have to do with anything?

I'll ask this here as it is as good a place as any. What the hell are dukes? Channel 7 commentators reference them from time to time and I have no idea what this means. I have never heard anyone ever in the years of following footy say this.

Duke is a male title either of a monarch ruling over a duchy, or of a member of royalty, or nobility. As rulers, dukes are ranked below emperors, kings, grand princes, grand dukes and sovereign princes. As royalty or nobility, they are ranked below princes and grand dukes.

Hands. Comes from the phrase 'put up your dukes' in boxing.

Knew it was hands, but didn't know where that specifically came from, so had to look it up.
Appears it was because a slang term for hands used to be 'forks' and the Poms loved a good rhyming slang term (as do Aussies), so forks became Duke of Yorks, which was then just shortened to dukes.

What do his looks or ability to kick a footy have to do with him being a good commentator?
Most of the best commentators in the world never played the sport they commentate, or to a high level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Means fist commonly used in "Put up your dukes". More common modern parlance would be "Come on campaigner".

Can you elaborate?

Don't talk about skills if you have none yourself.

An obviously absurd point of view very far detached from reality.

Not every commentator has to have played at the highest level, or at any level. Just like the opposite is true, that the best players don't always make the best commentators.

Unless you reckon Wayne Carey was a great commentator, in which case I really can't help you.

Thanks for the replies on dukes. Even the literal meaning of the word in aristocratic circles.
It all makes sense once explained, which in commentary terms is inexcusable. Should be able to call the game without requiring explanations for what they are rambling about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back