Club History Completely random Melbourne memories that come to mind for no particular reason

Remove this Banner Ad

How many signatures in total, would you say, Gander?
40 plus maybe? I cheated because I somehow got Jordan Lewis after he retired, but I guess it also has Ron Barassi and he was totally retired.

40 plus maybe? I cheated because I somehow got Jordan Lewis after he retired, but I guess it also has Ron Barassi and he was totally retired.
Would love to see a best 22 from your signatures! :eyes:

Oskar Baker faceplant at the Gabba circa 2019

Tom Bugg pointing to the scoreboard to the richmond cheer squad

Sam Weideman missing a game winner from right in front in the NT?

The entire 2020 season:
  • Playing during the season suspension announcement vs west coast
  • Our essendon game getting postponed because conor mckenna got covid
  • Harley Bennell
  • Aaron Vandenberg knocking out Mihocek at the Gabba
  • Losing to brisbane by a goal because fritsch gave away a 50 having a sook
  • Losing twice in Cairns to bottom four freo and sydney to kill our finals hopes

What a weird season

2006 Semi final over in Fremantle after knocking off the Saints. Jamar out injured coming up against dominant Sandilands.

We had to play Nick Smith (the origin story of 4-6 I think) with Jeff White and I remember talking him up the whole game to my family saying I thought he was competing well because I felt sorry for him. Ended up with 3 hit outs and we lost. It was the last game he played as we delisted him only months later.

Tunnell ball Jake Spencer

The loss on Mothers Day one year against Gold Coast. Most depressing game I’ve ever attended.

Also that time I ran into Trac playing the pokies in Adelaide on match day.

The loss on Mothers Day one year against Gold Coast. Most depressing game I’ve ever attended.

Also that time I ran into Trac playing the pokies in Adelaide on match day.
Was that the one with the bloke waving the white flag?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was Jack Fitzpatrick
Do you guys remember when he destroyed Tom Boyd? Along with the Jesse Hogan sledge

Robert Murphy is supposed to have said while Hogan lined up a shot "You can't miss this, you're Melbourne's great white hope."
Hogan then kicks the goal and goes "and there's your great white hope" pointing to Boyd on the bench

Early 2000's at the 'G'... watching a very young Riewoldt running rings around a lumbering Alistair Nicholson... Yze dropping back to stem the tide... his gloved hand desperately directing Nicholson to various positions.

Nothing worked. Riewoldt kicked a bag... don't know how many, but I remember thinking that we had just seen the back of Carey, and now we were going to have to deal with this guy.

Supermercado I know you have memories of some of the first match against $cully in 2012

Or any other memories honestly, this thread is made for you

Supermercado I know you have memories of some of the first match against $cully in 2012

Or any other memories honestly, this thread is made for you
Super's book (The Great Deepression) was awesome - highly recommend!

Super's book (The Great Deepression) was awesome - highly recommend!
I rediscovered it just the other day unpacking books. It’s an epic triumph.

Also, my god how did any of us survive watching some of that stuff? It’s a minor miracle I’m here today

I rediscovered it just the other day unpacking books. It’s an epic triumph.

Also, my god how did any of us survive watching some of that stuff? It’s a minor miracle I’m here today
Beer and The Cut

Alistair Nicholson coming back from some long term injury and young me being upset the commentators didn't mention it as we ran through the banner (no idea year/oppo).

David Schwarz kneeling on the ground head in hand in last quarter as we were losing away to a WA based team. I think maybe he'd done a knee or seomthing? Next day at some community event he signed my ball or something and I said "I was devestated when you lost" and in the flattest tone possible just said "yeah, me too"

This one is fairly recent, but at Optus Jeremy Howe came to the bench and after two seconds yelled "Viv, go!" as Viv Michie had apparently forgotten to replace him on the field.

I have a strong memory of listening to us on the radio in the car as a child surprisingly beating Brisbane in the 00s some time and the post game chat was all about Brisbane and a caller said he was annoyed they weren't talking more about Melbourne.

Jeff White's arms up celebration as he kicked the goal late against the Dogs to put us into the finals maybe '06? In my head the kick was from like 60 on the boundary.

Alistair Nicholson coming back from some long term injury and young me being upset the commentators didn't mention it as we ran through the banner (no idea year/oppo).

David Schwarz kneeling on the ground head in hand in last quarter as we were losing away to a WA based team. I think maybe he'd done a knee or seomthing? Next day at some community event he signed my ball or something and I said "I was devestated when you lost" and in the flattest tone possible just said "yeah, me too"

This one is fairly recent, but at Optus Jeremy Howe came to the bench and after two seconds yelled "Viv, go!" as Viv Michie had apparently forgotten to replace him on the field.

I have a strong memory of listening to us on the radio in the car as a child surprisingly beating Brisbane in the 00s some time and the post game chat was all about Brisbane and a caller said he was annoyed they weren't talking more about Melbourne.

Jeff White's arms up celebration as he kicked the goal late against the Dogs to put us into the finals maybe '06? In my head the kick was from like 60 on the boundary.
Love all of these.

I have this slightly surprising recollection of breaking the drought against Geelong at Kardinia in 2015(?) playing both Gawn and Spencer?

If I didn’t dream it, THIS was the great experiment we should have persisted with, not the Brodie Grundy rubbish.

That would have meant we also had Chris Dawes in there. No wonder it was such a surprise we got up.

I have this slightly surprising recollection of breaking the drought against Geelong at Kardinia in 2015(?) playing both Gawn and Spencer?

If I didn’t dream it, THIS was the great experiment we should have persisted with, not the Brodie Grundy rubbish.

That would have meant we also had Chris Dawes in there. No wonder it was such a surprise we got up.
Enright's 300th, maybe?

Remove this Banner Ad

Club History Completely random Melbourne memories that come to mind for no particular reason

Remove this Banner Ad

Back