Confidence in Ratten

Remove this Banner Ad

He has nothing to offer. Has been outcoached on a regular basis and with the list he has should have more wins on the board. He is a boring, soft coach who does not have the balls to make examples of players and drop them eg Fevola. He won't get respect until he makes some tough calls. Our backline is the equal worst in the competition and he has no idea how to best manage our deficiencies. We need to lose him at the end of the year...

Just looked over the Poll results.

84% are negative or unsure about Ratten's abilities AND this is a result derived from motivated Carlton supporters who spend time online looking actively for info on the Club. (Typically a hardcore and positive group)

FFS Malcolm Turnbull has a higher rating.

If we get smashed in Perth he is under serious pressure.

In Carltons case I think it comes down to respect. Players have to respect and fear there coach and the Carlton players don't do either.

Working in AFL production I get to see everything that goes on inside the rooms before and after games and one thing I've noticed a lot is Brendan Fevola acting like and idiot in the rooms. Even when it's a big game and players are stretching down and doing there pre-game rituals, I always see Fev dancing around with his hands down his pants lauighing and making jokes.

It only occured to me after Friday that these acts are a lack of respect disipline for the coach. I guarentee you that he would not play around if he was playing for Collingwood or Geelong. It's almost like he knows he can get away with acting immature and that isn't good enough.

I think a few of your boys act lack luster when it comes to being around Ratten, as if they see him as one of the boys or something. IMO this could be one of the breaking points inside your club. As good as Fev is, his behaiviour is acting like a cancer esspecially to the younger players who may see him as a role model.

I don't think Ratten is a bad coach, but the players need to Respect and Fear him. I remember hearing Brad Dick on SEN in the week and he was saying whenever he see's Malthouse in the corridor he will duck out of the way almost being nervous. Sen asked Why? And he said that he saw Heath Shaw cop a huge wrath from Mick the week before and he wants to tread lightly and get in his good books and earn his respect.

Fevola should be trying to earn Brett Rattens respect, not the other way round.

Good luck for the rest of the season.

Very well said, the players dont fear ratten and thats a big problem, i'll ask the question is Collingwoods list better than ours?? I'd say apart from the forward line the answer is no, yet the pies consistently perform above themselves. Mick Malthouse doesnt take shit from anyone, you do it his way or the highway, look at the performance of guys like Swan, Didak, Davis, Thomas, Medhurst. They are extroverts who under Malthouse have learnt to do the hard stuff and conform to the team. Regardless of what team is out on the park you know what you're going to get each week from the pies and thats a bloody tough contest from a team that sticks to the structures.

I dont know what the blues will bring each week. Thats a mentallity issue and it starts from the top. Fevola is a loose cannon but he would walk on egg shells around someone like Mick Malthouse, he walks all over Brett Ratten!

The fact that he didnt give the boys a spray after that performance tells me alot about the quality of him as a leader of men.

Tactically he is inept. I've already gone on a rant about how he allowed three to four Essendon players to block the corridor all alone all night, once Setanta and Fisher stopped taking grabs at half forward in the second half, it was happy days for Essendon through the middle of the ground. Thats not the players fault, why was nobody picking up the loose men in the middle of the ground to ensure we couldnt get murdered by their run on the counter? How can the coaching staff allow that to happen against a side that loves to use the corridor at all costs? Its got me stumped.

He is inept as a coach Ratten, we need an authoritive figure with a football brain, not an ex favourite son who sounds and looks more like a barracker, one that continually makes excuses rather than letting the players know how it is.

He's going at about 4/10 at the moment and if we didnt have Judd at the club we'd be lucky to be on 3 wins!

Lets be honest here....

The initial decision......

No games were won.
He was a popular choice among supporters.
He had very little coaching experience prior to becoming coach.
Melbourne midfield coach for a season
Assistant coach to Pagan for 2007...or up until he took over.
The club extends his contract almost immediately...:confused:
We hired an INEXPERIENCED coach.

The conspiracy....

We tanked.
We lost the last game to Melbourne.
Mark Riley joins ratts at the Blues the next season.
We never looked at others.....we still deny approaching Voss.
Was Voss just media smoke to make us look like we were actively looking?
Was ratten promised the job if he tanked out 07?
Was mark Riley promised a job with us prior to round 22?
Would that of effected the way he coached that round 22 game?
What did ratts show in 8 losses to warrant appoinment?

On Ratten...

*Never seen a change/move that has turned a game our way.
*Think he is viewed upon by players as a mate and is taken advantage of.
*Senior Players seem to play for themselves and not the team.
*I thought last years improvement was always going to come, with Judd jumping on and our young blokes maturing.
*Players only seem to get up,look good and play some great footy....say once a month.
* some games(even if we are winning) the side looks like its sitting in 2nd gear and would crumble if they were up against better opposition.
*what about the assistants? they seem just as clueless at times.
*How many Former Carlton players do we need in the coaches box or involved with the side? :confused:

Can we afford to keep on an inexperienced coach who is clearly struggling?
Do we just keep going as is?
Do we make a change now?
Will ratten lead us to #17?
Do the players play for him or themselves?
Am i the only one sick of the same excuses?

*I think we have lost probably 4 games this year through MC selections or game day tactics by the coaching staff. And that is 4 too many.

* We have lost our last 5 to the bombers now.:mad:

You guys just need a proper gameplan. Doesn't matter if you go with the Malthouse or the Thompson method.

That old style game plan of Rattens makes it too hard to get through modern day defences.

Every player on the field needs to know where to be at all time. You should not need Marc Murphy type ball getting ability to succeed.

I have faith in Ratts...

That being said, he needs to show some balls this week and drop Fev to the magoo's for 2 weeks and maybe have Irish at FF and do something innovative on the half forward line.

Fev needs to pull his head in now because despite the fact that he is an awesome full forward when he is on his game, his antics have really cost the club now and it seriously needs to be addressed.

Take your pick...

brooms001large.jpg

FFS. show some perspective guys, sure we played crap, and to lose to essendon hurts a lot. But we've shown heaps of improvement and get the next couple of wins under our belt and you'll all forget Friday night:)

I know what you mean, but I think there is overall too much of a Carlton presence at our club. Ratten, Bradley, Lappin, Teague and Sticks. Sure it sounds great, but I think they are all mates rather than work colleagues. They're not being honest with each other and it's starting to cost us dearly. I reckon we need someone fresh, an outsider to come in put put there own stamp on the club, instead of trying to relive the past.

And as far as a motivating factor goes, I thought they were dedicating the Season 09 to Dick Pratt. If that doesn't get them up then i don't know what will.

The John Elliott jobs for the boys thematic at Carlton is ridiculous. It doesn't work in the competitive world we live in today. First and foremost, we need to get rid of Sticks - he was a great player but a club president ! FFS!

The John Elliott jobs for the boys thematic at Carlton is ridiculous. It doesn't work in the competitive world we live in today. First and foremost, we need to get rid of Sticks - he was a great player but a club president ! FFS!

No problems, I vote that we get in Mike Fitzpatrick. proven at all levels within the game and has shown that he can definitely run a profitable business as well.

To be honest, there is nothing wrong with what Sticks is doing as president. Ratts is doing a good job for a second year coach... the people who are escaping the blame for last fridays little fiasco are the senior players who went walkies at half time.

I honestly wish that Fev would get dropped to the magoo's at preston... at least the guy coming in will be trying harder than Fev because he knows that he has to put it all on the line to try and keep the position.

Just imagine Fish coming in as our FF and kicking a bag against the shockers with Irish putting 2 or 3 through the middle as well... If they could back it up the following week, then Fev would have to start fighting for his position or run the risk or languishing in the reserves for a few more weeks after that.

Just looked over the Poll results.

84% are negative or unsure about Ratten's abilities AND this is a result derived from motivated Carlton supporters who spend time online looking actively for info on the Club. (Typically a hardcore and positive group)

FFS Malcolm Turnbull has a higher rating.

If we get smashed in Perth he is under serious pressure.

19 Yes confident OUT OF 110 is not a figure one would aspire to
(Let's face it if you are Unsure you really are saying No)

19 Yes confident OUT OF 110 is not a figure one would aspire to
(Let's face it if you are Unsure you really are saying No)

To be fair, this should have been made a public poll, as I'm sure many votes were cast by opposition lukers/trolls ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When we're inconsistent everyone blames the young players.
Ratten is a young coach. Let's be patient.
We pushed St.Kilda pretty close at Etihad, beat the Lions at the Gabba which this year is a top effort, also beat em at Etihad. Beat the Bulldogs.
I think those good wins show that he's doing something right.
Don't forget what we were expecting pre 2009. I've been pretty happy with our year to date. We might have lost a couple of games we should have won but can anyone remember Geelong before they turned it on? St.Kilda? They had good young lists but we're inconsistent.
Many people wanted Bomber to leave the cats. Now look at them.
Let's just be patient. We aren't and never were going to win a flag in 2009.
Don't worry about Essendon, they might have thrashed us but we're still just as good as they are on a league scale. Their fans are over the moon with their side this year, and their coach. We think our season is about right, people are questioning our coach. and we're only 1 game behind them.
They've beaten 1 side above them.
We've beaten 4. (BL x2)
They've won 2 by under 10 points.
We've lost 3.
We'll be right. And number 17 will come before Essendon, no doubt.

Its not really about having faith in Ratts. The game plan needs a total over haul. It does not matter who initates or implements the system but until then you will not get the cohesion that you need from Judd down to Bannister.

Go and get a Roos or Malthouse assistant if you want to go with the diciplined hug the boundary. Or go and get a Thompson assistant if you want to throw the ball around and play through the corridor.

Ratten can keep the job but he clearly needs tactical help.

after last night's performance, def not, it wasnt all rats fault obviously but how you can have a game plan that allows heath shaw and nick maxwell to have no opponent and do as they please and not react to their dominance bewilders me, he clearly doesn't have the ability to react to pressure, i loved ratts as a player but coaching is not his forte, its time to make a play for a more experienced coach like laidley

Probably not a great day for this poll to have been re-ignited..

We are all reactive today with calls of sack the coach, fire the players and shoot the MC.
Maybe justifiably so today, but it is only one day.

When the dust settles it will be made clear that we have had a trying season with many issues outside of Rattens full control.

Spot on, and I don't think many fans just can grasp how devestating Jarrod Waite's season ending injury has effected us, and Ratten's gameplan and 'structure' ...

Once we get back the three W's fit and healthy and hopefully firing and injury free next year, we'll be in great shape to make an serious tilt at the top 4 in 2010

Waite
Walker
Warnock

BTW Robert Shaw made an interesting point on 'Viney's' show on SEN ...

He said no coach in the AFL cops more 'negative criticism' from his fans after a loss then Ratten, which I think is probably correct, and also which is a crucial point, Ratten is limited in his flexibility, especially since Waite went down, because Jamison and Bow Wow cannot go up the ground and play in the foward line, and the same goes for Fev and Fisher going down back.

Waite has been an terrible and massive loss for us and Ratten, make no mistake.

Greg Swann's interview on 3AW

Good questions from Connolly.

The players were responsible for last week's performance.

Scotland, Stevens, Houlihan, Hadley and Simpson should carry the can for the lack of performance football fans expected this year.

They haven't stepped up this year to take the pressure of Judd.

The performance of Grigg and the young players has naturally been up and down.

Though the Carlton fans with an agenda will probably say Ratten should be able to coach for the injuries to Waite, Warnock and Walker.

Three injuries that would have hurt our plans for this year.

Ratten's use of Hampson and Kreuzer has been good with both receiving 56% game time last night.

We need to sack Ratten though who will coach Carlton into the finals with no game plan and strategies.

Yet Mark Harvey wasn't happy with the strategy Carlton used at the hitouts to combat their ruckman. :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Confidence in Ratten

Remove this Banner Ad

Back