Congratulations Adam Cooney 2008 Brownlow Medalist

Remove this Banner Ad

Well done Cooney, deserved winner IMO, watching the highlights each round of Ablett roaming packs waiting for seagull possessions makes me wonder why he's so highly rated, give me a workman like player over a flashy "hey handball to me im behind you" player anyday.

Yeah, or how the Cats won a GF by 119 points! :rolleyes:

Richo, Ablett, Black or Cooney would have all been worthy winners. Surely people won't underestimate Simon Black again.

What rubbish, Black carried OP all season and could hardly run every second week, it goes to show how much a joke umpires declaring the votes are!

Had it not been for Brent Harvey's big mouth he would've shat all over Cooney's parade... and Harvey played well all season, not just half a season! ;)

First up...well done to the Coondog. Would have never have picked him to be the Brownlow Medallist on the games I saw of him, but, he was certainly consistent, which is how most Medallists are found. Sheer consistency.

Secondly...the Cats fans on here last night who lost the plot...think of it this way. You have an awesome side...no doubt about that...and that why your players may not win as many Brownlows as it should (in fact Jimmy Bartel was probably lucky last year in reality). Too many very good players getting votes. Shows how good the team is as a whole.

Finally - I think everyone in football would have gone nuts had Richo got up. Would have been even more popular that Jimmy Stynes win in 1991!

Well done on being about the 50th person to gve this rant

IDGAF,

you are one of the tossers i was talking about. Maybe hearing it 50 times will make you realise what a loser you sound like. "But i barrack for Geelong and we won the flag and we are going to win it again", good for you, still doesn't stop you sounding like a whinging biatch!

The Coondog wins. Deserved his win. Just because he doesnt run around with a big head like some players.

Since when does the "best" player for the year win the Brownlow, hardly ever. Adam Cooney is just as a deserving winner as Goodes, Bartel, Black, Ricciuto etc. Had a blinding first 12 games and polled in some games that was unexpected but that happens every year.

Would have been great to see Richo tie with the Coondog,
I would love to have had that. People are acting as if goodes had won.

Cooney did have a great year. Sure he wasn't the best but he was top 10 easily maybe even top 5.

Who really cares what flogs like Da Donners :rolleyes: thinks.

Who really cares what the 15 Bulldogs supporters think? ;)

Matthew Priddis, 45 touches, no votes... versus Hawthorn in a loss!

Joel Bowden, 39 touches, 23 marks, no votes... in a winning game!

Adam Goodes, 14 touches, 4 behinds, 2 votes... in a losing game!

What a joke! As soon as umpires stop giving votes I'll give credit to the Brownlow medal.

Cooney is a good player, never said he wasn't but Brownlow medalist, joke.

What a joke! As soon as umpires stop giving votes I'll give credit to the Brownlow medal.

:rolleyes: lol you finished yet...witty little donners? :D

Re: Congratulations Adam Coney 2008 Brownlow Medalist

Over what?

Is any player alive from your one and only premiership team?

Sour grapes, pfft! :rolleyes:

Dude, I have read your insults on the last 3 pages of this thread directed at Cooney and Footscray, and quite frankly, enoughs enough...... Your a tosser ! Yr most probably a typical Band Wagon Essendon Supporter that comes out of the woodwork when Essendon are on top, and we hear nothing out of you when yr down and out !

If footscray had the money that Essendon had in the 70's and 80's to buy half yr teams, maybe we may have won a few more flags too !

Good luck being in yr rebuilding stage at Bomber Land - You will be there for at least 4 more years before you even have the slightest chance of winning yr 17th flag !!

Up Yours !:thumbsu:

Wian

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Congratulations Adam Coney 2008 Brownlow Medalist

Yr most probably a typical Band Wagon Essendon Supporter that comes out of the woodwork when Essendon are on top, and we hear nothing out of you when yr down and out !

Well here I am, we finished 12th... does that make us on top?

Premierships don't come easy as you're fully aware, I'm very proud to be an Essendon supporter, I've seen 4 premierships in my lifetime and I've also seen dark times as you are fully aware.

I gave an opinion and I backed it up (see "Priddis, Bowden and Goodes" post), you on the other hand simply attacked me. With regards to any comments I made regarding Footscray or the Western Bulldogs, it was simply retaliation, immature as they were, when in Rome...

Donners has more faith in the biased awards - the ones the media judges on...and to a lesser extent the coaches award and the problematic AFLPA MVP, which needs an overhaul, if we are to believe the structure of it (where only players nominated by each club are to be voted on).

Don't use my tag-name in posts based on your own ideologies.

Agree. Shocking award - the way Bartel got it over Ablett in 2007 just shows what a farce the Brownlow is:D:D

And here lies the problem with your knowledge on the game.

Yes Priddis had 45 touches but he had absolutly NO influence over the game and deserved to receive no votes. It was the worst 35+ possie game I have ever seen. Bowden, similar. No impact on the game and didn't deserve votes.

It is not all about the amount of touches a player received.

Put simply Cooney was inside the top 5-10 players of the year and thus deserved the brownlow. Any one of the top 5-10 players would be worthy winners.

And here lies the problem with your knowledge on the game.

Yes Priddis had 45 touches but he had absolutly NO influence over the game and deserved to receive no votes. It was the worst 35+ possie game I have ever seen. Bowden, similar. No impact on the game and didn't deserve votes.

It is not all about the amount of touches a player received.

Put simply Cooney was inside the top 5-10 players of the year and thus deserved the brownlow. Any one of the top 5-10 players would be worthy winners.

I would've had Cooney in the top 10.

I understand possessions in today's game effectively means jack, if you knew of my posts you would know that I am generally anti-statistics as they can be terribly misleading. I watched the Priddis game, 45 touches against Hawthorn is an achievement in itself, the highest possession game of the season against a potential premiership team.

Bowden was much maligned in '08, I understand where you are coming from, he did have a down-patch, but, I believe you are selling his position in the team short, he is their general from the backline and is very effective in this role. He's not a defensive backman and I understand that fully, call him the Dal Santo of the backline if you will, but when in form, which he was after his hiatus in the magoos, his use of the ball is second to none.

i wont argue with you on that.

but atleast simon black is actually a good player....

The funny thing is when you imagine if Goodes was eligible and he had won. He would be known as a triple browlow medalist! That is just absolutely mental considering the number of players who have been better than Goodes over the years and have never won one browlow!

Does anyone know If the umpires look at stats or anything at the conclusion of the game? I assume they walk off the ground and immediately do their votes, which could explain why they are often so bizarre. I mean come on, how can Scott McLaren be expected to judge the best players when he has a nose the size of the Eureka tower blocking his view!

Peanut. Goodes has been doing for 7 seasons what Ablett has done for the last 18 months. If you have no footy context beyond that time period keep your worthless opinions to the Cat's board.

Back to the actual point of the thread - I'm a new Cooney fan! Comfortably the most fun and enjoyable Brownlow speech I've ever heard. Good luck to the kid - his game against the Swans earlier this year was outstanding and he's clearly worked hard to go from one of the softest players in the league to someone who earns his kicks the hard way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Congratulations Adam Cooney 2008 Brownlow Medalist

Remove this Banner Ad

Back