Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
On that metric, yes it would be better to have a Darwin/NT team then one over in Canberrra/ACT.

But financially, it would just be like Gold Coast again but 10x times worse, with the only people wanting to go up there to either play or coach, would be locals who were born or lived there.
That's fine. Why does every team have to compete financially with the richest clubs in Australia? Not everything is about business and numbers. Even if their team rarely made finals and didn't make much money they still should be allowed to exist.

Do you know how much extra they will get from tv rights?

And I just noticed it's mentioned in article Fargo posted:

"The AFL will also make clear to those presidents the value of the extra 11 games in the broadcast deal, which could effectively fund the league’s annual special distribution.

The current broadcast rights deal is worth $473 million per season for 198 home-and-away games and nine finals, which values each game at nearly $2 million."

I heard 25 and 27 for the regatta point but a Hobart engineer this week came and said regatta point would be an absolute nightmare to put a stadium.
I saw that interview too.
Yeah. A LOT of very difficult and challenging work to get that stadium up and about.

I think a provisional licence is the most likely outcome. Kick the can down the road a little further. It all depends on the fine print for what happens next.

Outright saying no would generate shocking headlines here and on the mainland and give the game down here a wound big enough for a bunch of ants to take advantage of.

Slightly on-topic but also off. The engagement with the community by the JJ's is outstanding. It seems they are heading to a different school every day and week for clinics with kids. I see so much JJ gear around. this is the engagement the AFL just lacks and missing down here.
They are doing a great job three of the jack jumper players were at my sons school dodges ferry on Monday every kid got one of the Kmart nbl singlets my boy hasn’t taken it off 😂 . I think if the afl don’t grant a license they will get a nasty shock how big basketball actually gets down here

Blundstone is not 19K. it is 15k, perhaps 16K if you want to get uncomfortable on the hill.

It is not big enough in the long term. 1 year or 2, fine, with launny around for the bigger games.

And yes, I know the record crowd is 17K or something like that, but I guarantee that won't happen again. The old Cricket Tas chairman has said in the past that there were some dodgy counts before he took charge. A friend of mine has said the same thing

I've seen where the capacity is said to be 19k, even 20k. Thats just crap.

Having the hill area is just stupid in the modern era.

Even if the east wing was redeveloped & the ground could seat 22k or so, it'd still be near impossible to get that many people into the area.

It always was & always will be a lovely little boutique stadium, built is a stupid & self limiting place

If Tassie get the license (which does now seem a long shot to me) they should only be allowed to have home finals in Melbourne until they actually build a stadium capable of hosting a finals crowd capacity.

They just do not have the infrastructure at this point in time to run a successful AFL club.

Demetriou is very positive about the Tassie team, also thinks Northern Territory should come in and make it a 20 team competition. He agrees with Colin Carter on the stadium issue too.

The lying POS was anti Tas when it suited him. Now he's 'mates' with NBL owner Larry Kestelman he's all in favour of it.

POS should be in jail.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Tassie get the license (which does now seem a long shot to me) they should only be allowed to have home finals in Melbourne until they actually build a stadium capable of hosting a finals crowd capacity.

They just do not have the infrastructure at this point in time to run a successful AFL club.

In case you didn't realise, getting a licence will still not see a team here for at least 3-4 years.

Also, they can build things in less time.

So 'right now' is irrelevant.

Utas is due to be upgraded, possibly quite soon.

Something in Hobart, if & when we get a licence.

It’s been mentioned to you a number of times utas stadium is getting a 200 million dollar upgrade that will make it a similar type stadium to what gws have at spotless stadium . If that’s good enough for gws to host a final then it’s good enough for us the afl hosted a final at utas last season remember.I also highly doubt we would be playing to many finals in our first few seasons

Why does it come down to a presidents vote?

Jeff Kennett doesn't speak for me on this.

Or anything for that matter.

The commission rightly or wrongly represent the 18 clubs in (supposedly) an impartial and neutral fashion.

The AFL have to submit the proposal for a Tassie Team, along with #TASPOL and or folks running their bid, and the 18 current clubs will vote on it, just as they did on the Gold Coast rescue package and North's application for a Priority Pick this year

Several Months ago, Gil probably thought he had the numbers at club level to get Tassie awarded a team, but obviously something changed in that time (change of govt in Tassie) and now it's looking likely Tassie will not get enough votes to be awarded a license.

The Tassie Premier and Govt have not exactly helped their cause by giving ultimatiums about the new stadium funding either.

Alas as I feared, the dream is over for Tassie19.

Easy to blame the AFL Commission, but the 18 clubs were a very hard sell.

Alas as I feared, the dream is over for Tassie19.

Easy to blame the AFL Commission, but the 18 clubs were a very hard sell.

It doesn't indicate it is over at all because the AFL ha

I think you will find it will still most likely happen because the AFL wants it to happen.

It doesn't indicate it is over at all because the AFL ha

I think you will find it will still most likely happen because the AFL wants it to happen.

Yes the AFL board and commission may want it, but ultimately as I keep saying, it's up to the 18 clubs to decide/vote on it.

The commission rightly or wrongly represent the 18 clubs in (supposedly) an impartial and neutral fashion.

The AFL have to submit the proposal for a Tassie Team, along with #TASPOL and or folks running their bid, and the 18 current clubs will vote on it, just as they did on the Gold Coast rescue package and North's application for a Priority Pick this year

Several Months ago, Gil probably thought he had the numbers at club level to get Tassie awarded a team, but obviously something changed in that time (change of govt in Tassie) and now it's looking likely Tassie will not get enough votes to be awarded a license.

The Tassie Premier and Govt have not exactly helped their cause by giving ultimatiums about the new stadium funding either.
They only require seven teams to vote yes to a Tassie team

That's fine. Why does every team have to compete financially with the richest clubs in Australia? Not everything is about business and numbers. Even if their team rarely made finals and didn't make much money they still should be allowed to exist.

It's not that they won't "make much money", it's that they'll haemorrhage it.

An NT team would be a huge burden. Their own scoping report said there'd be an annual $15m shortfall, and that's on top off being on the more generous end of distribution revenue.

The Tasmanian team would then suffer as any cash that may have gone into its set up would have to be funnelled to the NT to keep it afloat.

It's not that they won't "make much money", it's that they'll haemorrhage it.

An NT team would be a huge burden. Their own scoping report said there'd be an annual $15m shortfall, and that's on top off being on the more generous end of distribution revenue.

The Tasmanian team would then suffer as any cash that may have gone into its set up would have to be funnelled to the NT to keep it afloat.
Are the AFL keepers of the code or purely a business?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back