Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The proposed capacity of the new stadium is only 3,000 more than current capacities, so I dont see the need to rush.

Doesn't seen enough to me, but then again, I have never been to Tassie.

Agree with you about not needing to rush to build the new stadium based on that number you provided.

The rumours are that enough clubs will vote against the deal to stop it going ahead quickly so where does that leave Tassie?
The premier had a very hands on role in the creation on the nbl team so if the afl doesn’t happen I imagine a lot of money will get pushed to basketball expect the jack jumpers to be one of the best financed in the nbl . Also there are rumours they are in talks with the Melbourne storm to play games down here

My understanding is that Bellerive is about 19,000, UTAS stadium 20,000, and the proposed new stadium capacity is 23,000 with a future stage two plan to make it 30,000..
I have only heard 25000 if they go with a Macquarie Point stadium or 27000 and 30000 for concerts for the regatta point option.

Blundstone is not 19K. it is 15k, perhaps 16K if you want to get uncomfortable on the hill.

It is not big enough in the long term. 1 year or 2, fine, with launny around for the bigger games.

And yes, I know the record crowd is 17K or something like that, but I guarantee that won't happen again. The old Cricket Tas chairman has said in the past that there were some dodgy counts before he took charge. A friend of mine has said the same thing

Blundstone is not 19K. it is 15k, perhaps 16K if you want to get uncomfortable on the hill.

It is not big enough in the long term. 1 year or 2, fine, with launny around for the bigger games.

And yes, I know the record crowd is 17K or something like that, but I guarantee that won't happen again. The old Cricket Tas chairman has said in the past that there were some dodgy counts before he took charge. A friend of mine has said the same thing
Record crowd is actually just over 18000 for bbl

The AFL commission will meet on Monday to discuss tassies bid with more president's now violently opposed to a Tassie team. The AFL still believes they can get it over the line though,It is going to be a very interesting 2 weeks.

The AFL faces a herculean task to convince its club presidents to approve a 19th licence as decisions on Tasmania, TV rights and Gillon McLachlan’s replacement come to a head in August.
The AFL Commission is due to meet on Monday as the Tasmanian licence reaches a critical stage with the 11 ‘workstreams’ all but complete, yet no stadium deal in place.

News Corp understands the AFL Commission will have a considered discussion on the Tasmanian bid and also be updated on the TV rights deal and the search for the next chief executive.

A detailed information pack on the Tassie bid will be sent to all 18 club presidents.

They will be given time for their club boards to assess the information before those presidents meet in one room to make a consensus decision by the end of August.

But one club president estimated on Thursday, six or seven presidents are “violently opposed” to the notion of a 19th club.

Sydney’s Andrew Pridham, Hawthorn’s Jeff Kennett, Gold Coast’s Tony Cochrane and Collingwood’s Jeff Browne are believed to have been joined by more presidents who have not been sold on the need for a 19th team.

Those presidents have serious issues with the lack of a stadium deal, the capacity for a different state government to withdraw funding, and the long list of rival priorities.

They include the need for a concussion compensation fund, investment in community football and a serious study into ACL tears in AFLW players after yet more injuries across the pre-season.

But the AFL believes it can deliver on those 11 workstreams with a compromise position likely on the stadium build despite the state government not yet committing to a new multipurpose covered-roof facility.

The league could make it a provision of the 19th licence that the stadium funding be set by a certain date in the future with sod to be turned by the time of the team’s first game.

The AFL will also make clear to those presidents the value of the extra 11 games in the broadcast deal, which could effectively fund the league’s annual special distribution.

The current broadcast rights deal is worth $473 million per season for 198 home-and-away games and nine finals, which values each game at nearly $2 million.
Reading this it sounds like we're on track for a team. Yes, the clubs are getting a little bit restless, but I'm still confident that they will be won over when the AFL finally provides the info. Sounds like a provisional licence is likely, which will kick things into gear to get the stadium sorted.

Its not the Government holding things up atm. The AFL is stalling because I think they wanted the broadcast rights sorted by now so they could use the increased value of the new deal to help convince the clubs to say yes to Tassie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think a provisional licence is the most likely outcome. Kick the can down the road a little further. It all depends on the fine print for what happens next.

Outright saying no would generate shocking headlines here and on the mainland and give the game down here a wound big enough for a bunch of ants to take advantage of.

Slightly on-topic but also off. The engagement with the community by the JJ's is outstanding. It seems they are heading to a different school every day and week for clinics with kids. I see so much JJ gear around. this is the engagement the AFL just lacks and missing down here.

Slightly on-topic but also off. The engagement with the community by the JJ's is outstanding. It seems they are heading to a different school every day and week for clinics with kids. I see so much JJ gear around. this is the engagement the AFL just lacks and missing down here.
JJs are killing it! If only the NBL played in winter.

Reading this it sounds like we're on track for a team. Yes, the clubs are getting a little bit restless, but I'm still confident that they will be won over when the AFL finally provides the info. Sounds like a provisional licence is likely, which will kick things into gear to get the stadium sorted.

Its not the Government holding things up atm. The AFL is stalling because I think they wanted the broadcast rights sorted by now so they could use the increased value of the new deal to help convince the clubs to say yes to Tassie.
End of the day if AFL want it (and sounds like they do - IMO mainly driven by extra they'll get from broadcast rights) it will happen.
AFL/Gil have got some work ahead them though - that's for sure.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Demetriou is very positive about the Tassie team, also thinks Northern Territory should come in and make it a 20 team competition. He agrees with Colin Carter on the stadium issue too.
Tasmania should definitely be the 19th team, but Canberra needs to be that 20th license over North Territory IMO, and get GWS to concentrate on being a full-time team in New South Wales for once in their lives.

Only way NT would be financially viable would be if they combined their bid with North Queensland, which would be very unlikely, given the travel disadvantages it would bring for that team, in particular.

Do you know how much extra they will get from tv rights?
No. Maybe a figure was thrown about at some stage but I did read that the difference between having 19 teams as opposed to 18 teams was quite substantial.

Tasmania should definitely be the 19th team, but Canberra needs to be that 20th license over North Territory IMO, and get GWS to concentrate on being a full-time team in New South Wales for once in their lives.

Only way NT would be financially viable would be if they combined their bid with North Queensland, which would be very unlikely, given the travel disadvantages it would bring for that team, in particular.
I think it would be great to have an NT team. Imagine having high performance teams up there with all the talent they could produce and the amazing things it could do for the indigenous communities! It would be a great thing for the NT.

Do you know how much extra they will get from tv rights?
Here's one instance it was mentioned.
Quote from article by Mark Robinson:
"He’s(Gil) asked the various networks to table a bid with a Tasmanian team and table a bid without one. The extra millions bounced off the pages."

I think it would be great to have an NT team. Imagine having high performance teams up there with all the talent they could produce and the amazing things it could do for the indigenous communities! It would be a great thing for the NT.
On that metric, yes it would be better to have a Darwin/NT team then one over in Canberrra/ACT.

But financially, it would just be like Gold Coast again but 10x times worse, with the only people wanting to go up there to either play or coach, would be locals who were born or lived there.

Demetriou has some of the shittest ideas around, N.T? Lol. He is trying to win back friends from all those he screwed over when he was in charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back