Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Twenty clubs would add significantly to revenue before you get to twenty you need to go to nineteen it’s a building process that doesn’t happen over night. In that 10 -15 years in between a 20th club the Tasmanian government has made it clear they are happy to support the club so the is little financial risk for the afl

well i mean I cant argue with you when all i have is actual industry people suggesting otherwise.

Reminds me of an U18 game just a few years ago between Sydney Swans academy & Tassie u18s at KGV. Sydney team had more AFL experienced coaches & better funding than the entire Tassie State League!!

And Yes, Tassie toweled them up. ;)

I didnt leave out anything. Thursday nights will be guaranteed without a 19th team - probably as soon as next year.
Yes, great slot for TV, and Tassie adds 11 games within that time slot structure, so those games will add more to the TV rights than a 10th game in an overlapping time slot.
Bottom 5 teams are part time teams, that is why they are bottom 5. Have not won many games. Still, Tassie doing brilliantly.

They don't seem to have an issue funding the shortfalls of GWS and Gold Coast.

🙄

There aren't really comparable shortfalls for Gold Coast and GWS.

Both receive about $25m a year each. It's on the high end of distribution, but it's only a few million more than Brisbane or St Kilda.

The NT would also expect that $25m a year (which is fine, broadcast expansion would pay for much of it), but they would still have a $15m shortfall AFTER distribution. The NT would still need 60% more funding than either the Gold Coast, GWS or St Kilda.

(Footy is always black & white!!! ;))

(Would NT, ACT or any other future applicant be told they'd need a new roofed stadium, with heating or aircon to be considered???;))

I agree, we should all be able to wear black and white 😁.

I do think the roof argument for Tassie is ridiculous. Just make sure the crowd is covered.

Canberra's actually has some pretty dry winters, cold, but overly wet. Definitely wouldn't say no to some heating though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well everything I’ve heard in the are stating tv revenue will increase significantly
Each game is worth 2 million dollars in TV rights. So roughly 22 million a year or an extra 5% or so of the total TV rights! Tassie more than pays for its share of the distribution in just TV rights.

Source:

"The AFL will also make clear to those presidents the value of the extra 11 games in the broadcast deal, which could effectively fund the league’s annual special distribution.

The current broadcast rights deal is worth $473 million per season for 198 home-and-away games and nine finals, which values each game at nearly $2 million"

A country with 25 million people about to enter a lengthy recession, with higher power costs and high inflation.. (ever tried filling up your car recently?)
And with 4 professional football codes all competing for a diminishing piece of the pie will have enough $$$ to fund an expansion team.
Ok sounds logical.

Sydney tourism is already down massively and yet somehow in the middle of a recession tourists will flock regularly to Tasmania.

GWS & GC were started during the Global economic crisis, then they joined the AFL in 2009. Many said they weren't sure how the world economy would recover, nor how it would affect us in the longer term ie A lot of UNCERTAINTY.

Tassie team has more economic certainty about it than those clubs then.

I guess its all about a selective view of things.

For Tassie Tourism, it is all about maintaining the numbers we get for the summer into the winter. That is why our government is so keen to get an AFL team here and is willing to fund it to a tune of $150mil over 10 years. It would generate a constant turnover of tourists, be it just for the weekend, in those quieter months.

The presidents worried about government funding being cut shouldn't worry. There are no complaints from all sides of parliament about the annual funding required for an AFL team down here. The stadium is a different issue entirely, as people rightly fear it could be a waste of money for a white elephant.

It is why I think our government will still have AFL games regardless of what happens with the vote. I think it will be fewer matches with more different teams as we look for more "attractive" matches.

No one forced the ANFC to stand down.
The AFL is now the body charged with looking after the welfare of the game, regardless of how they obtained that responsibility.

They are doing a pretty ordinary job of it, and that's a generous assessment.

Its funny I remember wookie posting a couple of weeks ago reminding people to quote there sources and articles 😄

Yes and that was for people posting slabs of news without accrediting it properly. This is not the same thing.

Admittedly it was a little flippant of me this time.

I didnt leave out anything. Thursday nights will be guaranteed without a 19th team - probably as soon as next year.
You might get a Thursday night game every week with the current arrangement, but you don't get much choice at all as to which two teams play in that slot because you're very limited with minimum breaks etc.

I don't get the logic of a 19th team not having any broadcast value compared to a 20th team.
  • Having 20 teams means you get 22 extra games all in the least valuable timeslot.
  • Having 19 teams gives you 11 extra games, with 9 of those played in the week that currently has the pre-finals bye, which means 4/11 are prime time games (1 x Thursday, 1 x Friday, 2 x Saturday night). Having 1 or 3 teams with the bye every week gives you greater availability of teams to schedule on Thursday nights also.

All that money forked out on GWS and GC sure is paying dividends when it comes to producing talent.......
To be fair they only play 4 games in NAB league. The best of them were the giants who were competitive, one win and 3 losses. But I think they have a kind of a cheat zone that was already a decent area for producing AFL players before the Giants came along.

Tasmania doing so well because we have an even spread of talent. Not so much a lot of top end players. Cowan and McCallum are the only two with a strong chance of being drafted this year, but next year McKercher and Callinan look good too and are already playing very well.

All that money forked out on GWS and GC sure is paying dividends when it comes to producing talent.......
Meanwhile, a place who's passionate about the game. I'm at my house, sitting on the couch and I can here whistles from a footy game up the road. Serenity.

I keep hearing arguments that the Victorian teams in the 18s are doing poor compared to Tassie because there's more people in Tassie than in each of the teams regions.
people jim GIF

Each game is worth 2 million dollars in TV rights. So roughly 22 million a year or an extra 5% or so of the total TV rights! Tassie more than pays for its share of the distribution in just TV rights.

$2M a game might work as an average perhaps, but that doesn't mean they're all worth the same, or that an additional match would have the media rights go up by that amount.

Or are you suggesting that Collingwood V Essendon on ANZAC day is worth as much to the media (and advertisers) as GWS V North on Sunday afternoon?

What media rights are worth depends on how many eyeballs they get. Do you think a Tas team will add 5% to the total number of games/hours watched across the year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back