Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Conversely, Bigger stadium, more paying customers, higher revenue. ;)

I think the opportunity for more people to come to the footy, the better.

Clearly in a small place you wouldn't build a new MCG!! But a capacity more likely to accommodate the interest as well as some room for footy tourists. I'd think at least 27k for such a stadium.

I note the Jack Jumpers NBL have a 4800 stadium that is way over subscribed. They want an extra 2k added to the recently renovated DEC, Now My State Arena.

There is a tipping point though. IIRC the feasibility study said, to be most profitable, the stadium capacity should be somewhere between 21k and 28k. Typically, they’ve gone for a cheaper figure towards the lower end of the scale, so it will be really annoying if they got it wrong and it’s hard to secure seats.

A league can go where they like. I think not having a rectangle field of substance in the state, which could host RU, NRL regularly, would make things difficult.

The easiest option, which would create WW3, would be to convert North Hobart Oval.

The proposed MacPoint Stadium can't host cricket & soccer at the same time/season.

So------?
Bear in mind that you can still host "rectangular field" sports on ovals if necessary. It may not be a long term solution but in the short term it would do the trick.

Rugby League was a regular event on the SCG for years for instance. Another oval often used for Aussie Rules in Sydney, Henson Park, is still used for Rugby League also (the home ground of the Newtown Jets, both in their current incarnation and when they were in the RL top competition).

I remember a funny story about Henson Park, which is often used for the Sydney AFL finals these days. My club's girls were due to play a finals match there a few years ago, so we all turned up only to find that the RL posts were still in place. They couldn't be removed at short notice, so the match was hurriedly moved to an alternative venue. :)

Just thinking about the recent discussion comparing ticket prices in Perth vs Melbourne, and how the demand for Eagles games is so high compared to the capacity of Optus Stadium, which results in high ticket prices.

And then thinking about membership numbers of existing teams, and reported revenue for memberships and game takings…

If a TAS team can sell out their two ~25,000 seat stadiums in Hobart and Launceston and basically fill it with members, like Eagles, Freo and Geelong, they could have prices on the higher end and generate more revenue than the VIC teams who average crowds of only 25,000 where tickets prices are likely lower.

And this is probably a reason the AFL wants that brand new stadium, so they can up the ticket prices, as it is a better experience compared to Bellerive (just like what was observed when Optus Stadium opened in Perth), which would really bolster the financial stability of the team.

Well yes, that's pretty much it. The AFL wants Tassie to be one of the lower funded teams, and a low-crowd, low-price model doesn't achieve that outcome. So you have to charge high prices, and provide an experience that warrants people paying the big dollars. Which means first class stadium.

Has a formal decision been made on this or what? If so when are they coming in? Or has it only been tentatively agreed to pending the new stadium before a date is set?

It has been agreed to by the AFL and Tasmanian Government pending federal funding for the new stadium. The federal infrastructure department are currently doing their own review of the business case. It is expected that an announcement will be made in the lead up to the May budget, but nothing has been confirmed yet.

Is albo making the NBL contribute to the new entertainment center he is building in Brisbane?

It has been agreed to by the AFL and Tasmanian Government pending federal funding for the new stadium. The federal infrastructure department are currently doing their own review of the business case. It is expected that an announcement will be made in the lead up to the May budget, but nothing has been confirmed yet.
Cheers mate, read through a few pages but couldn't get a clear indication - I thought the AFL had agreed "in principle" but wasn't sure on timelines, conditions etc . Hopefully agreed to soon and can get the ball rolling.

Cheers mate, read through a few pages but couldn't get a clear indication - I thought the AFL had agreed "in principle" but wasn't sure on timelines, conditions etc . Hopefully agreed to soon and can get the ball rolling.

Yeah things have gone a bit quiet the past few weeks. As frustrating as it is, we just have to play the waiting game (yet again).

Is albo making the NBL contribute to the new entertainment center he is building in Brisbane?

I believe that Brisbane Live was going to be built with or without the Olympics because Brisbane is currently lacking a large, inner-city, roofed venue for concerts etc.

I didn’t realise the plan was for the Bullets to play their games at Brisbane Live. Nissan Arena was only constructed at Nathan a few years ago. I don’t follow NBL, have the bullets outgrown Nissan already?

I believe that Brisbane Live was going to be built with or without the Olympics because Brisbane is currently lacking a large, inner-city, roofed venue for concerts etc.

I didn’t realise the plan was for the Bullets to play their games at Brisbane Live. Nissan Arena was only constructed at Nathan a few years ago. I don’t follow NBL, have the bullets outgrown Nissan already?

Don't know, just pointing out the double standards, AFL have to put in, no other sport has to or ever has.

Well yes, that's pretty much it. The AFL wants Tassie to be one of the lower funded teams, and a low-crowd, low-price model doesn't achieve that outcome. So you have to charge high prices, and provide an experience that warrants people paying the big dollars. Which means first class stadium.

There is a tipping point though. IIRC the feasibility study said, to be most profitable, the stadium capacity should be somewhere between 21k and 28k. Typically, they’ve gone for a cheaper figure towards the lower end of the scale, so it will be really annoying if they got it wrong and it’s hard to secure seats.
I think a variable pricing system would be ideal. I think it would encourage people to become members. The 'big games' being priced differently to lesser attractive opposition. Even so,the idea is that locals would want see their own team play, no matter who the opposition might be.

Part of the calculation on stadium size would possibly be it needs to be large enough to attract decent concerts, as well as maximising Footy crowds. Not too big as to be expensive & not utilised enough to justify the added cost.

I still think 23k is a tad too small. I'd say 27k would be better. For both stadiums infact. IMHO. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

11 games in Hobart? They cannot be serious.

Tom Browne is a scumbag. He’s not reporting the news, he’s creating it. He said, “the North of the state are worried that the new stadium will see all of the games in Hobart.” That’s absolute rubbish. All along, the plans have been for some games to played in the North. Even the Premier said that Launceston will not receive any fewer games with a Tassie side than what they currently do (4).

Only a few weeks ago, stage one of a three stage redevelopment of UTAS was announced (link below). Do you think the government would be paying for this if they didn’t intend on playing games there?

Browne’s reporting of the Tassie AFL bid has been unsurpassed in terms of dishonesty and negativity. He is constantly rehashing the old arguments that were debunked by the Taskforce Report (which I’m sure he has never bothered to read).

While that’s the ideal, it does make it somewhat harder to do this considering Tasmania is not a particularly wealthy region

Because I want Tassie to be as successful as possible and having interstate clubs hanging on and leeching off the state is not exactly going to facilitate that. Hawthorn has done well out of Tassie and they did pioneer bringing games to the state and the development of UTAS, but enough’s enough, if a 19th license is awarded then it will be time for them to go.

When you consider the Melbourne tennis centre can be as much as 20k

Not sure what bit you're talking about.

Rod Laver can take ~15K (for tennis, for concerts it's closer to 10K because they close the area behind the stage).

Precinct as a whole, well the record daily figure for the Aus Open is just over 94K, but that would be split between day and night sessions, so 50K is probably closer to the actual maximum at any one time.

While that’s the ideal, it does make it somewhat harder to do this considering Tasmania is not a particularly wealthy region
Of course it's hard to do. If it was easy Tassie would have had a team decades ago.

One of the arguments in favour of a Tassie team was that it would have more fans than North or the Dogs. Whilst that was probably true, Tassie wasn't going to get the financial concessions those teams get annually (rightly or wrongly). They are being held to a higher standard before getting a licence.

I’m tipping a Tassie team gets good support in Melbourne too

If the seemingly engineered shortage of seats in the home stadium plays out, some may have a better chance to see Tassie live in melbourne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back