Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since we know the "now or never" situation with Tassie forced the AFL's hand of expansion, did the AFL actually ever have any long-term plan at all to introduce a Tasmania team?
I think there preferred option would have been relocating a current club down here either way I think they would have preferred to wait longer before expanding again .

Since we know the "now or never" situation with Tassie forced the AFL's hand of expansion, did the AFL actually ever have any long-term plan at all to introduce a Tasmania team?
No. Around 2015 they were pushing for a hybrid model with North, where they would take over Hawks games (and sponsorship) in Launceston and play 7/8 games there. Tas/Launceston ignored that and signed the Hawks up for a new contract.

It wouldn't be a huge challenge to upgrade the UTAS capacity further if the team proves to be popular. Mac Point will be locked in at 23k for quite a while, which long term probably means Launceston will be able to better facilitate the high drawing games.

It is disappointing the new eastern stand at UTAS Stadium, in prime viewing position on the wing, is only going to be a single tier and so small. This is where you want to fit in the greater number of seats, as it’s where people prefer to watch from.
The eastern and northern sides will now be single tier all the way around (assuming there is funding at some stage). The best spot for viewing is the western wing where the function centre is. If they ever want to expand to 27 - 30k, they would need to extend the Gunn Stand along that wing, removing the function centre and temporary Carlton Draught stand.

No. Around 2015 they were pushing for a hybrid model with North, where they would take over Hawks games (and sponsorship) in Launceston and play 7/8 games there. Tas/Launceston ignored that and signed the Hawks up for a new contract.
I'm glad they did.

I like your setup you've laid out before; only thing you'd have to change is GWS because the Canberra deal runs through to 2032, so you could have maybe the Hawks play a game in Auckland and Bendigo from 2027 while the Saints play a game in Albury and Wagga Wagga until Canberra enter; then the Saints could maybe play up in Cairns again and you get the Suns playing all their games at GC, or the Suns still play a couple in Cairns and the Saints play a couple home games at the Sunshine Coast.

Last edited:
I'm glad they did.

I like your setup you've laid out before; only thing you'd have to change is GWS because the Canberra deal runs through to 2032, so you could have maybe the Hawks play a game in Auckland and Bendigo from 2027 while the Saints play a game in Albury and Wagga Wagga until Canberra enter; then the Saints could maybe play up in Cairns again and you get the Suns playing all their games at GC.
Realistically, assuming no more grounds are brought up to AFL standard, we could see this.
GC leave Darwin - 1 game to Cairns, one to Metricon
North 2/3 games to Darwin
Melb stay in Alice
Hawks and Saints play one game each in Albury (Wagga's ground is nowhere near capable of hosting AFL).

Although I think the AFL should take advantage of the timing or Hawks and Nth leaving Tas and push hard for the proposed 15K Newcastle stadium.

Realistically, assuming no more grounds are brought up to AFL standard, we could see this.
GC leave Darwin - 1 game to Cairns, one to Metricon
North 2/3 games to Darwin
Melb stay in Alice
Hawks and Saints play one game each in Albury (Wagga's ground is nowhere near capable of hosting AFL).

Although I think the AFL should take advantage of the timing or Hawks and Nth leaving Tas and push hard for the proposed 15K Newcastle stadium.
Yeah maybe the Hawks play 2 in Newcastle, Saints 2 in Albury. North could play 2/3 Darwin and 1 Alice, and open up the Dees for an Auckland game.

What about Bendigo?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WAIT! HANG ON!

On closer inspection, "thinking guy" seems to be a clone! Or maybe it is just a Tasmanian thing

View attachment 1600555
Cartoon Thinking GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

If the team gets a decent membership roll out of say 50k, how do they fit them in, more than 23k of them anyhow?.
Also any interstate visitors as well?

JJ's NBL team have been playing for <2yrs. They're already wanting an increase in stadium capacity!! As if 23k in enough, who is calculating all this?

Both grounds should be nearer the 27,500 mentioned before.

UTas will be upgraded more easily & first, getting first game is not an issue IMO. Nor should it be.
The same way West Coast fit 100k members in when their stadium only fits 60

According to Andrew Wilkie, virtually no-one in his electorate support building a new stadium for a Tasmanian AFL team -
“… voters in Clark are almost unanimous in opposing a stadium at Macquarie Point…”

However he does support spending tens of millions on a new soccer stadium (keep in mind, Andrew Wilkie grew up in Campbelltown, SW Sydney) -
“… Mr Wilkie was advocating for a rectangular stadium to be built in Hobart measured in tens of millions of dollars …”

According to Andrew Wilkie, virtually no-one in his electorate support building a new stadium for a Tasmanian AFL team -
“… voters in Clark are almost unanimous in opposing a stadium at Macquarie Point…”

However he does support spending tens of millions on a new soccer stadium (keep in mind, Andrew Wilkie grew up in Campbelltown, SW Sydney) -
“… Mr Wilkie was advocating for a rectangular stadium to be built in Hobart measured in tens of millions of dollars …”

Get Apple to pay for it, and call it Apple Isle stadium, a billion dollars is nothing to them. They can sponsor the Tassie Devils side.

In my opinion it's the cost of the Stadium for the AFL team. They are not opposed to a AFL team

Your usual Sydney born w***er, sooking every time something is going to increase the footprint of the AFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back