Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing to remember with this "report" is that it is more of a sales and poitical document. The views of all concerned were well known before the report was commissioned. It was commissioned with a certain result in mind.

That said, I haven't read it yet and I'm sure there is good information in there. It just needs to be read with a wary eye for the salesmanship.
Maybe read it before you question its validity champ

One thing to remember with this "report" is that it is more of a sales and poitical document. The views of all concerned were well known before the report was commissioned. It was commissioned with a certain result in mind.

That said, I haven't read it yet and I'm sure there is good information in there. It just needs to be read with a wary eye for the salesmanship.

Well WTF are they supposed to say when writing an 'application'??? 'Dear Sir, Please, please, please, we want to play big boys footy, signed T. Squires CEO Tassie footy', or to that effect.??

The AFL is an overtly political & quasi commercial organisation. AFL management live in the Melbourne latte corporate bubble. I mean the gave us AFLX didn't they?? So they're flipping clever people.

So you'd have to stupid not to have an strategic, multipronged approach to try to get through the thick 'latte corporate mist' in which exist.

They have usurped control over all aspects of the football pyramid over the last 30 years, so do have some responsiblity to the 'whole' game.

I've said over the years you have to play the politics of the situation. Play every string to get noticed at least.

Whatever happens, & I'm 50/50 on our chances, I just pray the State Government piss Hawthorn & NM off.

Play the AFL's own politics. FK'm.

So have a read.

Softshoe the AFL & they feed the encumbents, not the game .
See the FIXture & the GF.

Tas has to play hardball in private, its got 8mil that the AFL want directed to the Melb teams & their self interest is what Tas is battling.
Yeah agreed it’s so obvious what the afl want they will happily continue to milk the Tasmanian government for the money and hand us shite quality fifo games for as long as we let them get away with it nothing would make them happier then seing north play 8 games a year down here it’s going to take our government to say no more if it’s takes a couple years of no games down here so be it

One thing to remember with this "report" is that it is more of a sales and poitical document. The views of all[No] concerned were well known [No] before the report was commissioned. It was commissioned with a certain result in mind.
You have no evidence of this.

How could both Gemba, & GWS Chief Financial Officer, have a pre-ordained view before they had even examined the evidence (some which is complicated, & not all the relevant facts were easily ascertained before they were appointed to do their financial analysis).
You are also suggesting disingenuous behavior, & a lack of rigour, on behalf of the Task Force, Gemba, & the GWS CFO (who had no connection to Gemba).

And you admit you haven't even read the Report, but have already formed your considered "conclusions"!

Tas has to play hardball in private, its got 8mil that the AFL want directed to the Melb teams & their self interest is what Tas is battling.
The $8m pa is of secondary importance to the AFL.

HFC, also, is financially, very strong now. NMFC could probably find approx. $4m pa by playing 4 home games in other parts of Australia.

The most important consideration for the AFL is how likely is it that Tasmania can, eventually (5-10 years?) again become a recruitment goldmine for the AFL?
If it can, this is worth many multiples of $8m pa for the AFL.

Support for a Tas. 19th team is building a strong momentum. If Tas. is rejected, the AFL executive team (paid $8.8m pa, an obscene & unprecedented amount in Aust. for a Not For Profit organisation) would face considerable opprobrium over the Tas. Disaster. The AFL would, also, have to "disprove" the strong financial arguments presented in the Report.

1. Rob Shaw, The Examiner sport journalist (not Rob Shaw, former Fitzroy coach, & strong Tas. team advocate) is pessimistic about Tas. being granted the 19th licence.

Shaw also argues, in The Examiner (Launceston) 11.2.20, that the AFL will not want to lose the $8.5m pa, for HFC & NMFC, from the Tas. govt. But Shaw fails to acknowledge that the Tas. govt., if spurned, has said it will reduce the quantum for HFC & NMFC (& would eventually abandon all sponsorship of parasitic AFL teams).

2. The WA West newspaper, MSM daily owned by Seven West Media ( K. Stokes has controlling interests, & has Channel 7 Network in its suite of assets) today had an article saying "momentum is growing for Tasmania to join the AFL"; & a Perth team might eventually become the 20th team in the AFL- This will be one of a gazillion similar stories!).

3. Tasmania Talks Radio program interviews 10.2 E. Stewart, Task Force member.

4. SEN Melb. Radio Bob & Andy program
Host & sports' commentator A. Maher is very strong in support for Tas. to become the 19th team

"All the economic data that has needed to be provided to the AFL to show that Tasmania can sustain an AFL Club has come back enormously positive by this Task Force Report".

However, he is pessimistic- because the AFL might think it can't make enough money if Tas. joins.

5. SEN Melb. Radio G. Whateley program 11.2

Whateley interviews B. Amarfio, NMFC CEO.
NMFC is VERY supportive of Tas. joining the AFL.

(then go to 11.2, click on "Ben Amarfio Interview" 14 mins 40 secs - 17 mins 20 secs.

Amarfio said:-

"...We support their ambition to own their own team...we're not going to obstruct them in any way, good luck to them...Football wants to remain strong in Tasmania. They have half a million people who are football-mad ....basketball is doing a good job down there, soccer is doing a good job down there ...it's important ...we continue to develop the game, make sure the elite pathway is secure and strong, producing great footballers for the AFL and AFLW (my emphases)".

Last edited:
You have no evidence of this.

How could both Gemba, & GWS Chief Financial Officer, have a pre-ordained view before they had even examined the evidence (some which is complicated, & not all the relevant facts were easily ascertained).
You are also suggesting disingenuous behavior, & a lack of rigour, on behalf of the Task Force, Gemba, & the GWS CFO (who had no connection to Gemba).

And you admit you haven't even read the Report, but have already formed your considered "conclusions"!

The $8m pa is of secondary importance to the AFL.

HFC, also, is financially, very strong now. NMFC could probably find approx. $4m pa by playing 4 home games in other parts of Australia.

The most important consideration for the AFL is how likely is it that Tasmania can, eventually (5-10 years?) again become a recruitment goldmine for the AFL?
If it can, this is worth many multiples of $8m pa for the AFL.

Support for a Tas. 19th team is building a strong momentum. If Tas. is rejected, AFL executive team (paid $8.8m pa, an obscene & unprecedented amount in Aust. for a Not For Profit organisation) would face considerable opprobrium over the Tas. Disaster. The AFL would have to "disprove" the strong financial arguments presented in the Report.

1. Rob Shaw, Tas. journalist & author (not Rob Shaw, former Fitzroy coach) is pessimistic about Tas. being granted the 19th licence.

Shaw also argues, in The Examiner (Launceston) 11.2.20, that the AFL will not want to lose the $8.5m pa from the Tas. govt. But Shaw fails to acknowledge that the Tas. govt., if spurned, has said it will reduce the quantum for HFC & NMFC- & would eventually abandon all sponsorship of parasitic AFL teams.

2. The WA West newspaper, MSM daily owned by Seven West Media ( K. Stokes has controlling interests, & has Channel 7 Network in its suite of assets) today had an article saying "momentum is growing for Tasmania to join the AFL"; & a Perth team might eventually become the 20th team in the AFL- This will be one of a gazillion similar stories!).

3. Tasmania Talks Radio program interviews 10.2 E. Stewart, Task Force member.

4. SEN Melb. journalist A. Maher very strong support for Tas. to become the 19th team

5. SEN Melb. Radio G. Whateley program 11.2

Whateley intrviews B. Amarfio, NMFC CEO- who is "supportive" of Tas. joining the AFL.

(then go to 11.2, click on "Ben Amarfio Interview".
The $8m pa is secondary to the AFL you say ..... if Tas takes it off the table, who kicks the can?
The AFL adds more games to the oversupplied Melbourne market & picks up the tab imho!

The AFL are compromised by its role managing the game & its cash cow the national comp.

How could both Gemba, & GWS Chief Financial Officer, have a pre-ordained view before they had even examined the evidence (some which is complicated, & not all the relevant facts were easily ascertained before they were appointed to do their financial analysis).

GEMBA wrote the original report in 2009.

"The AFL would need to provide access to the same model of AFL annual distributions that other member Clubs currently receive. Elsewhere, we have considered the equity of this and believe a Tasmanian licence would add broadcast or content value to the AFL and should therefore justify its participation in these distributions. Smaller Clubs in 2018 typically received in excess of $22M – while that could be a reasonable request of the AFL in pursuit and support of a Tasmanian licence, we have modelled just $17M. "

Asking for 17m + 8 million in government support each year. Im not sure thats a winning argument.

Report fail to note that the size of a Tasmanian tv audience is tiny - top AFL games rate around 45k. And under the AFLs current broadcast model would generally only be seen in Tasmania for the most part. Tasmania is entirely a regional tv market and the smallest in the country. Im not sure that its worth to league rights is what people think it is.
It is the 11 extra games that drives revenue, not people watching in Tasmania.

It is the 11 extra games that drives revenue, not people watching in Tasmania.

Those extra 11 games will mostly only be seen in Tasmania, or on Fox at ridiculous times against mostly small victorian teams and non victorian sides. See the GWS/GC broadcast schedules. Tasmanian FTA has next to no appeal to the broadcaster - theres almost no money there as a tiny and entirely regional market.

My prediction/summary is that Tas will get a team around 2025. Launceston expanded to 27K by 2025. Tas to play 6 games there (5 Hobart) until the new Hobart stadium is built, then it will flip to 6/5 Hobart's way. AFL will want Hawthorn to leave after 2021, with North playing six games there (3/3 or only 4 in Hobart if Launceston is out of action while it is expanded to 27K) until Tas comes in.
Hopefully Hawthorn plays all returned games in Melbourne and North have four years to find another secondary market (I suggest Albury, but with AFL now owning Marvel, they might want more games there).
Good for footy.
Happy days.

Those extra 11 games will mostly only be seen in Tasmania, or on Fox at ridiculous times against mostly small victorian teams and non victorian sides. See the GWS/GC broadcast schedules. Tasmanian FTA has next to no appeal to the broadcaster - theres almost no money there as a tiny and entirely regional market.
Seriously mate why comment in this thread if you’re going to write ridiculous posts that you have nothing to back up your becoming troll like on this thread !

Seriously mate why comment in this thread if you’re going to write ridiculous posts that you have nothing to back up your becoming troll like on this thread !

I’ve got to ask.

In what way is his post a troll?

Does Wook have a history of trolling I don’t know about?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Suck it up, the TV audience is relevant, just as it is for all the clubs/markets.
We need Tas imho, warts & all.

yeah I mean what the hell would i know about tv broadcasts and the AFL. Ill just throw out the 10 years of Oztam data I have here as useless then. Get a grip. I mean it cant be a shock that the Tasmanian market in its entirety is the smallest measured market in the country, and the facts of AFL broadcasting policies favouring larger audiences and victorian team isnt exactly an earth shattering revelation.

Im saying this isnt necessarily the clinching argument here, at a time when its likely the AFL will get less or similar money to last time.

My prediction/summary is that Tas will get a team around 2025. Launceston expanded to 27K by 2025. Tas to play 6 games there (5 Hobart) until the new Hobart stadium is built, then it will flip to 6/5 Hobart's way. AFL will want Hawthorn to leave after 2021, with North playing six games there (3/3 or only 4 in Hobart if Launceston is out of action while it is expanded to 27K) until Tas comes in.
Hopefully Hawthorn plays all returned games in Melbourne and North have four years to find another secondary market (I suggest Albury, but with AFL now owning Marvel, they might want more games there).
Good for footy.
Happy days.

Well my prediction is that the outcome of getting a team IMHO is 50/50 right now. Certainly 2025 seems a popular starting date.
Launceston will (as Ive always said) get a major upgrade. Bass is narrowly an LNP seat & the Premier is a northern polly.
A shiny new stadium at Macquarie point next to the CBD will never happen. A) its in Hobart & not an LNP electorate. B) The land is far more valuable for the slated developments. If Bellerive is ever dumped I think a KGV make over would be the best/sensible bet.
Thus Launceston will keep the bulk of the major games & crowds at Bellerive will be limited. ie game quality & access will ensure that.

Well my prediction is that the outcome of getting a team IMHO is 50/50 right now. Certainly 2025 seems a popular starting date.
Launceston will (as Ive always said) get a major upgrade. Bass is narrowly an LNP seat & the Premier is a northern polly.
A shiny new stadium at Macquarie point next to the CBD will never happen. A) its in Hobart & not an LNP electorate. B) The land is far more valuable for the slated developments. If Bellerive is ever dumped I think a KGV make over would be the best/sensible bet.
Thus Launceston will keep the bulk of the major games & crowds at Bellerive will be limited. ie game quality & access will ensure that.

Does that work for Tas tourism, put the politics aside for one moment, does it work for Tourism?

I dont share your optimism for 2025.

Does that work for Tas tourism, put the politics aside for one moment, does it work for Tourism?

I dont share your optimism for 2025.

I didn't voice any great confidence in any date. 2025 has been bandied about, that is all.

Tourism is a point the Government will push. I guess a bigger York Park should allow for more footy tourists.

However, if the bigger Melbourne clubs play there every year, the punters will soon tire of going. Whereas if it were year about with Hobart I think it would be more attractive to the visitors.

Its the politics which matters to the Government. They'll favour Launceston whenever they can, that's the political reality.

Proposing to base it in Hobart is a matter of football reality. Hobart will better cater for the players, staff & families.

I’ve got to ask.

I’ve got to ask.

for one I don’t believe anyone can predict the future viewership of a Tasmanian team before it happens? No matter what figures he may have and I’ve raised this point many times if I made this exact post on a gws thread I would be labeled a troll or broken record buy you or certain other posters

yeah I mean what the hell would i know about tv broadcasts and the AFL. Ill just throw out the 10 years of Oztam data I have here as useless then. Get a grip. I mean it cant be a shock that the Tasmanian market in its entirety is the smallest measured market in the country, and the facts of AFL broadcasting policies favouring larger audiences and victorian team isnt exactly an earth shattering revelation.

Im saying this isnt necessarily the clinching argument here, at a time when its likely the AFL will get less or similar money to last time.

A Tassy team would allow a bye every week, which would open up options to play a Thursday night game every round (great for ratings) and then give teams a bye after / before their Thursday game so the players don't have short breaks.

for one I don’t believe anyone can predict the future viewership of a Tasmanian team before it happens? No matter what figures he may have and I’ve raised this point many times if I made this exact post on a gws thread I would be labeled a troll or broken record buy you or certain other posters

He has explained many a time where he is coming from in regards to viewership on tv.
He has a history in that actual information.

Unlike you he doesn’t have a history of trolling and does actually know the details of the subject matter.

Tv stations/ratings do view Sydney and Tasmania differently. Like it or not that’s just a fact.

He has explained many a time where he is coming from in regards to viewership on tv.
He has a history in that actual information.

Unlike you he doesn’t have a history of trolling and does actually know the details of the subject matter.

Tv stations/ratings do view Sydney and Tasmania differently. Like it or not that’s just a fact.

No doubt he does make some fair points. Do not totally agree on TV ratings - believe a Tas team would have a lot of viewers for quite a lot of reasons including the fact that it would be a legit team.

Yep acknowledge the concern re television viewership, although I believe more would view Tasmanian games than just those lucky enough to actually live in Tasmania. The fact that the state is a footy state (long been a reason for the AFL to take it for granted, more than that actually rip $ and players out of it) is a reason for it to get support not only here but in other states as well.

One fact I am sure of is that if Tas had actually been subsidized (as opposed to subsidize the AFL ie prop up clubs so the AFL doesn't) a 100th of GWS or Gold Coast television ratings would not be a concern and it would be up and running by now and have good television / sponsorship that has been identified both by this current report and Gemba. Have always been intrigued that those benefited by the AFL handouts the most ie Hawthorn, North Melbourne, GWS and to a lesser extent Gold Coast (probably becuase there isn't a lot of them) supporters post the most on this subject.

Personally believe the Tas Government should stop the current arrangement with paying for both Hawthorn and North Melbourne, has been playing in to the AFL hands for over a decade. Should be playing hardball for a change instead of being treated like crap.

Last edited:
No doubt he does make some fair points. Do not totally agree on TV ratings - believe a Tas team would have a lot of viewers for quite a lot of reasons including the fact that it would be a legit team.

Yep acknowledge the concern re television viewership, although I believe more would view Tasmanian games than just those lucky enough to actually live in Tasmania. The fact that the state is a footy state (long been a reason for the AFL to take it for granted, more than that actually rip $ and players out of it) is a reason for it to get support not only here but in other states as well.

One fact I am sure of is that if Tas had actually been subsidized (as opposed to subsidize the AFL ie prop up clubs so the AFL doesn't) a 100th of GWS or Gold Coast television ratings would not be a concern and it would be up and running by now and have good television / sponsorship that has been identified both by this current report and Gemba. Have always been intrigued that those benefited by the AFL handouts the most ie Hawthorn, North Melbourne, GWS and to a lesser extent Gold Coast (probably becuase there isn't a lot of them) supporters post the most on this subject.

Personally believe the Tas Government should stop the current arrangement with paying for both Hawthorn and North Melbourne, has been playing in to the AFL hands for over a decade. Should be playing hardball for a change instead of being treated like crap.

And Saints supporters it seems.

Anyway I was only saying that Wook hasn’t a history of trolling and actually seems to know something about ratings and how they are done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back