List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Apologies if it’s already been mentioned, Caro mentioned on The Age Real Footy podcast, that the AFL is looking to bring back NGA eligibility from pick 1. Didn’t say this year or next.

I wonder if Tassie will get their own academy, or priority access to local draftees.
Must be some quality Victorian NGAs available soon .

I wonder if Tassie will get their own academy, or priority access to local draftees.
Can't imagine anything but both.
Every new team has had a free hit at local talent (so I'd give that a 100%) and while Tassie is not a NRL invasion situation, an academy must be a near certainty.
They'll also get incentives to bring home local talent and may even get a war chest to give them better access to free agents.

Can play pretty much anywhere he’s pretty versatile, and he’s ready to go.
He started the wafl season on the wing/hhf then move to the forward line due to lack of options.

Wonder how he would play wing at afl level .

Whilst Ruscoe might help short term, you've got to ask what his longer term role, if any would look like in our 22.

I'd rather take a punt on a raw rookie who wasn't ready to be drafted last year, with a bit more upside to them, than a 23yr old utility who is only getting a look because he's playing for our WAFL team and is one of the Beagles better players.

Change Ruscoe from the Beagles to the Demons and he woudn't even be in the discussion IMO.

Maric on the other hand, looks like he can have a solid AFL career. Jury's out on Culley.

Whilst Ruscoe might help short term, you've got to ask what his longer term role, if any would look like in our 22.

I'd rather take a punt on a raw rookie who wasn't ready to be drafted last year, with a bit more upside to them, than a 23yr old utility who is only getting a look because he's playing for our WAFL team and is one of the Beagles better players.

Change Ruscoe from the Beagles to the Demons and he woudn't even be in the discussion IMO.

Maric on the other hand, looks like he can have a solid AFL career. Jury's out on Culley.
Are there any of those these year though?

By this time the last 2 years, Culley and Maric were clear standouts. I haven’t seen anything like that for this year yet and the draft is in 2 weeks

Agree with this. Don’t take the sugar hit. Ideally 18yo. 19yo max.

Really hope we don't take Ruscoe. Has looked okay at WAFL level but feel like we have a number of players ahead of him in our best 23 and there isn't a heap of upside.

A quality ball user off half back or a KPD would be my wish.

Also another player to add to the Beagles for the remainder of the season if we don't draft Ruscoe.

We don't know the players who chose not to go to those clubs due to managers advice .

Port as an example have built their backline around some B-C grade talls in esava and zerk-thacher as thats all that was on offer whilst losing duursma who has more talent than both of them
With respect, you overrate Duursma who had the makings of a star in his first year but looks to have shot his quiver.

By this time the last 2 years, Culley and Maric were clear standouts. I haven’t seen anything like that for this year yet and the draft is in 2 weeks
Correct, no clear stand out. Some pretty good options but no one to get really excited about.

Talent pool isn't huge, so just have to take best available rather than look to fill a positional need.

North
R13 v West Coast (A)
R17 v Gold Coast (H)
R21 v Richmond (H)
R22 v West Coast (H)
R24 v Hawthorn (Tas)

Richmond
R14 v Hawthorn (H)
R21 v North (A)
R22 v Saints (A)
R23 v Hawthorn (H)
R24 v Gold Coast (H)

West Coast
R12 v St Kilda (H)
R13 v North (H)
R16 v Hawthorn (H)
R19 v St Kilda (A)
R21 v Gold Coast (H)
R22 v North (Tas)

Hawthorn
R12 v Adelaide (H)
R14 v Richmond (H)
R16 v West Coast (A)
R18 v Fremantle (Tas)
R23 v Richmond (H)
R24 v North (Tas)

They’re the winnable games for each of the bottom 4 teams

If we can win all 6 of those games we’d end up on 8 wins. More if we can cause an upset or two along the way like we did in the derby

I think we likely have North and Richmond covered and perhaps Hawthorn if we do win all those games, particularly Hawthorn at home

Suspect a lot would need to go right to catch St Kilda (or wrong for them)

Reality is we probably don’t win all those games so end up 16th, maybe 15th at best
I am making the assumption we finish #16th, 6 wins, and with that in mind trying to figure out what and who North/Tigers will take.

North should split...
Tigers = Smilie
Eagles = Split or FOS

Not wrong.

I got nothing. Only real MSD candidate that sound appealing to me are the project types.

Josh Pike is 203cm 18yr old ruck, so not something we technically need, but it'd be nice to pay Jamieson out in the offseason finally and carry on with Pike, Archer and Barnett as developing rucks.

Will Mclachlan 18yr old medium forward, so once again, not my cup of tea normally as medium forwards usually die in the AFL unless they're very skillfull, He might grow a bit more and we'll no doubt develop him properly..... haha!

I do prefer the idea of picking up players who were part of the young guns squads though, which these 2 were. Also along with Maric and Culley before them.

Jacob blight from Peel looks solid, but we don't really need another KPD unless we're finally letting McGovern go forward. He is a decent size and 23yrs old so should be solid depth at least, given Hedwards is traditionally dead, and Bazzo has been cooked long term. Norf will pick him for sure anyway, so moot.

Ditto Scaife, although he's not going to get a game as a 197KPF in front of Darling, Waterman or Allen so.... #whatsthepoint

Just add a project player and see if we can unearth a gem. Worth the punt :shrug:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am making the assumption we finish #16th, 6 wins, and with that in mind trying to figure out what and who North/Tigers will take.

North should split...
Tigers = Smilie
Eagles = Split or FOS
Looking at the draw and injuries I think 16th is most likely too. If North split then whoever gets pick 1 from them will take Smillie. I’m really hoping a KPF announces themselves as a top 3 pick at the champs so Tigers take them but they do need young mids.

Enough with him. You don’t need to explain and justify the club to Eaglessgio

Tell us about contract situation?

Any likelihood on Harley extending soon?

Have we made enquirers about Busslinger?

Rumours are that Chad wants to come home. Have we enquired? Would we try and do it this year or wait til he is out of contract?

Thanks in advance.
Really?

Not wrong.

I got nothing. Only real MSD candidate that sound appealing to me are the project types.

Josh Pike is 203cm 18yr old ruck, so not something we technically need, but it'd be nice to pay Jamieson out in the offseason finally and carry on with Pike, Archer and Barnett as developing rucks.
Why would you pay out a bloke who's shown promising signs as a defender, for yet another project ruck?

If we get Busslinger then yes, it might be something to look at in the rookie draft at the end of the year.

People say don't go for a sugar-hit of Ruscoe, then they want a sugar hit of a bloke who's likely to never play an AFL game to begin with.

Team is screaming out for reliable depth in Ruscoe's age range. it wouldn't be the worse thing to add a solid depth player who is AFL ready and clearly better than the majority of state league players available.

Just to water down getting an exciting prospect in the msd, gavin bell on sen earlier today went out of his way to make the point that the msd isnt the draft where getting a young gun is the priority.. long story short it sounded like an expect something boring aka ruscoe.

Ruscoe is only 22 and looks a class above WAFL level for mine.

He has the versatility that Clark and West never had also.

The main downside is that picking him won't provide any extra depth to the Beagles side.

Old mate noober stumbling into this thread with something useful to say like:

Oh No Fire GIF
Trust me this is nothing. I was posting in the draft thread on the Geelong board late last season when a full on racist row broke out and the mods had to shut the whole thing down for a few days.

Why would you pay out a bloke who's shown promising signs as a defender, for yet another project ruck?

If we get Busslinger then yes, it might be something to look at in the rookie draft at the end of the year.

People say don't go for a sugar-hit of Ruscoe, then they want a sugar hit of a bloke who's likely to never play an AFL game to begin with.

Team is screaming out for reliable depth in Ruscoe's age range. it wouldn't be the worse thing to add a solid depth player who is AFL ready and clearly better than the majority of state league players available.
The 18yos with upside aren’t the sugar hit and that’s the point, they need development and someone like Noah Howes has a far higher ceiling than Ruscoe. Ben Hopkins needs multiple preseasons but the raw ability is there. If we’re going down the path of a mature body then I’d rather get a mid to protect the young inside mids. We’re well stocked for bigger bodies forward and back.

Also, we’ve had 4 MSD picks, 3 have played AFL and 2 of those are still on the list so on that metric they are actually more likely to play an AFL game than not.

Despite the above, as I’ve said previously I suspect the club is thinking along the same lines as you.

The 18yos with upside aren’t the sugar hit and that’s the point, they need development and someone like Noah Howes has a far higher ceiling than Ruscoe. Ben Hopkins needs multiple preseasons but the raw ability is there. If we’re going down the path of a mature body then I’d rather get a mid to protect the young inside mids. We’re well stocked for bigger bodies forward and back.

Also, we’ve had 4 MSD picks, 3 have played AFL and 2 of those are still on the list so on that metric they are actually more likely to play an AFL game than not.

Despite the above, as I’ve said previously I suspect the club is thinking along the same lines as you.
Just doesn't really seem any standouts at this stage. I don't see the point of reaching for a player that'll likely be available at the RD anyway, or only be on the list for 6 moths and de-listed.

Bearing in mind that we'll have pick 3 also.

If we don't go Ruscoe, worst case it's another body to throw into the mix at the Beagles to bolster them.

Take the punt I say (just not on Ruscoe)
Highly doubtful they do that. Simpson made the comment against this exactly last year, when we only took 1 MSD pick. Said they didn't want to pick someone to play WAFL just for 6 months.

Just doesn't really seem any standouts at this stage. I don't see the point of reaching for a player that'll likely be available at the RD anyway, or only be on the list for 6 moths and de-listed.

Bearing in mind that we'll have pick 3 also.
Absolutely reasonable view to take if that’s your analysis of the available talent. All clubs with a pick would be hoping for a Jai Newcombe or a Ryan Maric but odds are they aren’t going to be that good whereas at least Ruscoe is a known quantity.

With an early pick my approach is that Hopkins has shown enough in the last 12 months to be worth a shot and Howes has some good senior footy under his belt in the SANFL this year. If our pick isn’t showing enough by the end of the year then we’ll take an extra pick into the rookie draft and have another crack.

We have 22 players who will be 22 or under at the end of the year but no 23 year olds, 3 who’ll be 24 and just 2 who’ll be 25

We’ll likely add at least 3 or 4 draftees at the end of the year, maybe more. So youth isn’t an issue

Having some maturity through that early to mid 20’s range wouldn’t hurt so adding Ruscoe who’s a known quantity and has been training within our system makes some sense

Reality is, he’d likely have already played for us this year had he’d been on our AFL list

We’ll probably have pick 3 so good chance there’ll be someone with more potential there but I won’t be surprised or disappointed if we add Ruscoe

I’ll also be pleased for him. Seems like a decent bloke who’s slotted into the club really well

Remove this Banner Ad

Back