List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
And Geelong will get Bailey Smith for pick 15. This shit is foul, I hate how willing our club's been to get bent over come trade period. It's disheartening. WTF no deal, Pick 59 or walk

Well, no, players can nominate their salary so if he goes to North it wouldn't be on rookie wages.
Well... I stand corrected, I did not know that. Either way Baker doesn't want to go to North, and Richmond want something for Baker.... All the cards are in WC favour for this trade.

Personally if Lindsay, Travaglia and Berry are gone I’d be more ok with it but I think at least one of Lindsay and Berry will be there and it’s going to give me the absolute shits.

Pick 13 is the last pick (excluding NGA/FS) before the talent drops off to the next level IMO. It’s why clubs are going so hard at GCS pick 12 and unfortunately at this stage we’re seemingly too stupid to realise the same applies to pick 13. It’s hugely valuable and a drop to 21 should not be trivialised as an “8 pick slide”.
What would GC get for 12? I havent seen any hypotheticals thrown around for it yet

Would Sydneys 17+19(19 will be pushed back from fa compo) get pick 12?
If this got 12, then for 13 that probably puts Baker at pick 16ish. Still overs imo but not as bad

I think they will get Clarry for unders but I reckon Sam Power and the Dogs will push back massively if their best offer for Baz is pick 15. They’ve already asked the AFL to audit the Cotton On payments Baz was getting during his contract with the Dogs.

Going to go down to the last day or not at all I reckon.
Dogs will try and play hard ball, but will end up rolling over after haggling over 4th rounders, in the last hour of the trade period.

Geelong will go to both Melbourne and Bulldogs and say first team to say yes get's pick 15, loser gets our future first.

What would GC get for 12? I havent seen any hypotheticals thrown around for it yet

If this got 12, then for 13 that probably puts Baker at pick 16ish. Still overs imo but not as bad
Sounds like Future first is the starting point. They have their points covered for this year but will need plenty for next. Not sure what else would have to be included.

Melb, Carlton, Pretty much everyone has been included in a possible deal for it besides us and Richmond

Collingwood are going hard with Noble and a suite of picks but won’t be close to some of the other pick only offers that will come through. GCS really want Noble though so may well take it.

They’ll have offers packaging F1s with late 1sts/early 2nds and probably some late picks as well. 17 + 19 would be a pretty strong offer, they can then likely trade both for good F1s and still have enough points this year.

Pretty sure they want a future first round pick for their academy kids next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could just be a case that the recruiters see 13 and 21 as very similar in ability, and it keeps a 3rd pick in the top 30
If we give 13 for baker and 21, I'd like to think youre right. They'd obviously value someone like hamish davis the same as Xavier Lindsay and they'd call baker the steak knives in the deal. Davis is an example it could be hynes/Oliver etc

On SM-A155F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Collingwood are going hard with Noble and a suite of picks but won’t be close to some of the other pick only offers that will come through. GCS really want Noble though so may well take it.

They’ll have offers packaging F1s with late 1sts/early 2nds and probably some late picks as well. 17 + 19 would be a pretty strong offer, they can then likely trade both for good F1s and still have enough points this year.
Sounds like Future first is the starting point. They have their points covered for this year but will need plenty for next. Not sure what else would have to be included.

Melb, Carlton, Pretty much everyone has been included in a possible deal for it besides us and Richmond
Do we not just go to Sydney or whoever comes second in the race for pick 12 and offer 13 for whatever they were offering, their f1 + whatever, 17+f1/19 from Sydney ill use as the example

If thats the going rate, it sounds like it shouldnt be an issue to find a more suitable pick for Baker

Baker is 26, hes in his prime and should be for a few more years
He's a January birth, so will be 27 next year. He's 173cm and ~70kg.

He's a flanker who can support the midfield, but he's not a prime mover, or going to win you games off his own boot or grunt work.

Do we not just go to Sydney or whoever comes second in the race for pick 12 and offer 13 for whatever they were offering, their f1 + whatever, 17+f1/19 from Sydney ill use as the example

If thats the going rate, it sounds like it shouldnt be an issue to find a more suitable pick for Baker
You think that sounds logical, I think that sounds logical but all that matters is whether the club thinks it sounds logical.

5:50 is absolutely flying.
He's damn quick over 20m too, isn't he?

Speed and endurance combo
I don't think he'll do as well in the sprint and agility.
From Bendigo I expect to see Archer top those tests.
But Tobie's top speed when he gets going is very good.
That's why you see him cutting through the centre and burning off opponents.
And the great thing is that he's often doing this in the last quarter when everyone else is struggling to make it to the next contest.

Dogs will try and play hard ball, but will end up rolling over after haggling over 4th rounders, in the last hour of the trade period.

Geelong will go to both Melbourne and Bulldogs and say first team to say yes get's pick 15, loser gets our future first.
well dees can just say get f**d, given oliver still has, what 5 years to run ?

Max Rohr Claremont / WA 18s ruckman ...playing Claremont reserves has been invited to the WA State combine .
Wonder where the interest is from ...
In previous years, sometimes players get added without "interest" from other clubs to fill out numbers, especially in positions of low numbers of nominations.

Barrass for Baker and ????

Until we know what ???? is I’m reserving judgement but will acknowledge that at the moment I’m concerned that it’ll be less than optimal

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back