List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
That would be fine if he was not already dating Yasmin, we need to keep him happier than anyone else.

Pretty icky meddling in this shit. Young kids hook up and break up all the time. She's already on her second or third club. If we legitimately went down that road and they broke up, we can't just trade her back to someone else. The uproar about using an AFLW player as a commodity to support the men's program would be unprecedented.

They'll work it out one way or another.

Why are we suddenly linked to all these Richmond players? Surely not. No player over 25 unless they are free or a big crash and bash ruckman who can help our young mids. We need to scoop up as many early draft picks as we can possibly get.

He'd go into the PSD though if he just didn't accept our one year offer, no? Unless he doesn't fancy being at the mercy of the PSD / not his pick of clubs
I thought if you arent picked up in your first draft you automatically are an unrestricted free agent once out of contract . So Culley can go where he likes .

If we aren't into Garcia we clearly have no idea how to rebuild this team.

Absolutely ****ing ridiculous.

Easily best 22 and wouldn't cost much at all. Yeesh.

Josh Gabelich is reporting Garcia is going to stay now, but I agree it makes way more sense for him to go to WCE than Port if he is to leave.

He’s a midfielder, not a small forward.

Fair to say there's been a few melts about that speech of Bakers at their BnF. This is in their Baker thread alone:
I came equal 5th . Didnt know i would have a speech but anyways I will treasure this along with my 3 premiership medallions and from as far as I can get i will look at you guys thankyou .

This Garcia thing is WCE asleep at the wheel AGAIN.

Look at his VFL season, undoubtedly would get a start in most AFL mids. If it were not for the Bulldogs depth in this area, he would have got games for sure.

Would cost us 1/5th of what Baker will.

Just absolute rubbish once again.

Look at his VFL season, undoubtedly would get a start in most AFL mids. If it were not for the Bulldogs depth in this area, he would have got games for sure.

Maybe the recruiters just don’t rate him for whatever reason

Funny how the Richmond's president takes a swipe at the players leaving Richmond, but they are happy enough to rip players out of other clubs. So does this mean Richmond will no longer stab other clubs in the back by enticing players to move to Richmond.

Pretty icky meddling in this shit. Young kids hook up and break up all the time. She's already on her second or third club. If we legitimately went down that road and they broke up, we can't just trade her back to someone else. The uproar about using an AFLW player as a commodity to support the men's program would be unprecedented.

Meh , clubs do all sorts of things to keep players, why wouldn't we.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Welcome Bo Allan.
Let the melts begin in here.

Actually I don’t know why he’s so unpopular in here. Is it because some see him as a threat to be taken instead of Tobie?
I think part of it is he may be seen as a bit of another Ginbey. Do we want a half back /mid who we arent sure what ends up as or do we want a pure mid/pure half back?

I get the sense from what I've read and heard, we are pretty unwilling to give up much draft capital as we quite obviously want to hit the draft.
Baker is obviously high on Mini's radar as he knows the gamestyle and brings that pressure game, so the club views him as a must and as such draft capital given up for him (regardless of what it ends up being) is enough given away for the year.

So may only be 1 of Dev and Garcia we give up some picks for, or possibly neither of them.
Personally I'd prefer to bring both in with late picks, both would be pick 45 onward as they aren't best 22 at their respective clubs. But both would be best 22 for us, and less speculative then draftees beyond that position.

I also think Garcia brings speed and pressure in spades, and Dev is perfect for the defensive mid role.

Maybe, just maybe he doesn't want to return to WA?

I don't get the Bolton / Baker speech hate.
I'm a pretty confident public speaker, but even I'd be nervous getting up in front of everyone having to say anything after I've just said yeah I'm off after a wooden spoon.
Every club has fans that have nothing better to do than shout at clouds

Being that Dev is contracted, what would he be worth?

Also was Culley a rookie? I take it he would be leaving for free?
Hes worth next to nothing, id just offer pick 64 we get for Darling and theyd probably take it. Hes never going to get a game at Brisbane with their depth, especially when theyre adding 2 more first round pick midfielders this year too

Clubs need to trade for Culley or PSD I think

I get so excited when I see a few new pages have been posted in this thread

Only to click through and realise it’s the same posts about pick 13

We need this thread for recruitment news and a second thread for bed wetting, willsmithslap.gifs and WA footy mad shitposting.

So someone mentioned Preuss as a ruck backup on the cheap.

One year on the rookie list as a DFA I'd be ok with on low coin. $250k.

He seems to be permanently in rehab so no multi year deals or decent money.

If he comes good happy days. If not we had a crack.

Would prefer an option with better durability. However ruck is tough on bodies.
But why? So we have another ruck that is not at AFL standard to choose from? Briggs went past both Flynn and Preuss at GWS. I'd rather find our version of Jordan Sweet or draft a kid and bide our time than waste a spot on Preuss.

Then we'll recruit her to Freo instead

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back