Health Coronavirus 2020 / Worldwide (Stats live update in OP) Part 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

What is with people acting like masks are some kind of physical assault? They wear them in Asia quite a bit. Maybe we should consider people coming into the office with ‘just a little cold’ or ‘just a cough’ wear them for everyone’s benefit. Could reduce the number of sick days, flu hospitalisations etc.

What is with people acting like masks are some kind of physical assault? They wear them in Asia quite a bit. Maybe we should consider people coming into the office with ‘just a little cold’ or ‘just a cough’ wear them for everyone’s benefit. Could reduce the number of sick days, flu hospitalisations etc.
I'm not wearing a mask when there are no cases for the same reason I dont take panadol without a headache. It's nonsense

There's still very little danger of asymptomatic spread and a faceless, dour, anonymous society isn't good.

I can't imagine any Governments will enforce wearing masks once the vaccination target is reached, we should be like the UK by that point and just go back to normal. I don't want to hear from or know of a CHO once this pandemic is over.
They're here to stay mate. They love their newfound fame! No chance they give up the spotlight now (some better than others of course)

Absolutely. In Japan, for example, it’s considered discourteous not to wear them on PT if you have a slight cold. People also wear them for their own protection. It’s hard to imagine that culture of consideration for others taking hold with Australians (muh freedums!) but you never know. Businesses could take a lead here.

I'm not wearing a mask when there are no cases for the same reason I dont take panadol without a headache. It's nonsense

There's still very little danger of asymptomatic spread and a faceless, dour, anonymous society isn't good.
Jack was talking about the common cold which has always been very transmissible and let’s face it, miserable when we get one. That’s when we get to the stage of not having to wear masks for Covid (if ever).

Last edited:

They're not very comfortable to wear, luckily in WA we haven't had to wear them all that much but the times I've had to wear one in shops and supermarkets I can't wait to get it off.

They're not very comfortable to wear, luckily in WA we haven't had to wear them all that much but the times I've had to wear one in shops and supermarkets I can't wait to get it off.
That's pretty much it, had a friend told me a while ago that there was a racial element to people not liking wearing mask. I told him that's ridiculous people just find them uncomfortable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Neither are seat belts, bike helmets and safety equipment in general, but we wear them anyway.

However did we made it this far without 🤔
We have been used to having a lot of absences, during winter especially, due to colds and flu, from all areas of business and particularly schools, with classes sometimes half empty. The ads on tv have even encouraged us to “soldier on”. It’s been noted that these illnesses have been down the last two winters due to different types of restrictions; even Brett has remarked on it ;)

I've come across American conservatives (who probably think some dumb shit like Beijing is the capital of Thailand) bagging out Asians getting their kids wearing a face mask as child abuse. It's been a thing in East Asia for the last few decades at least, understand context.

We have been used to having a lot of absences, during winter especially, due to colds and flu, from all areas of business and particularly schools, with classes sometimes half empty. The ads on tv have even encouraged us to “soldier on”. It’s been noted that these illnesses have been down the last two winters due to different types of restrictions; even Brett has remarked on it ;)
I agree with the soldier on mentality being a bit stupid but thats where wfh will ease alot of strain.

These illnesses are also down in part to everything being covid. Once vaccination is done, masks have to go. Wear them if you want but it shouldn't be mandated.

I agree with the soldier on mentality being a bit stupid but thats where wfh will ease alot of strain.

These illnesses are also down in part to everything being covid. Once vaccination is done, masks have to go. Wear them if you want but it shouldn't be mandated.
Agree about mandates, but then you think about “Do I want to pass on this nasty cough/runny nose to others?” Or “Listen to Joe in the next cubicle coughing, hope he doesn’t come near me!”
You can make your own decisions.

I don't think law enforcement would want masks to be encouraged any longer than necessary.

A lot of unscrupulous individuals embracing mask wearing for reasons far removed from public health. Quite the opposite I'm sure.

Is Spurrier saying that masks are still required once the vaccination target is reached, or am I misinterpreting this? Surely by that stage this would just lead us to return to a 2019 normal.

anyone making a call on masks right now is full of shit. it will depend on the risk profile at the time e.g. vaccination levels, international comparisons (which are still underway), different risk settings etc. i could reasonably see masks as being mandated for the first few months of re-opening as part of easing out of COVID zero.

anyone making a call on masks right now is full of sh*t. it will depend on the risk profile at the time e.g. vaccination levels, international comparisons (which are still underway), different risk settings etc. i could reasonably see masks as being mandated for the first few months of re-opening as part of easing out of COVID zero.
You will need them for planes ,hospitals, nursing homes and public transport for quite a while.

People will feel safer walking into a place where everyone is vaxed and masked and that will keep them around in lots of places for quite a while

well if you have a medical condition than ok obviously you are more risk prone and may need to wait for the preferred vaccine, the large majority of us however don't and thus should be getting AZ
this is all true but also irrelevant. it's not a risk issue but a marketing issue.

the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 was lauded as 'the greatest smartphone of all time' upon release until they started to mysteriously blow up. failure rate was less than 0.01% devices (35 reported cases in over 2.5 million sold). although the product was eventually recalled the damage was already done. most consumers had already decided to opt for the 'safer' alternatives (iPhone, Pixel etc).

Neither are seat belts, bike helmets and safety equipment in general, but we wear them anyway.

None of those things are as uncomfortable and suffocating as wearing a mask, I don't find seatbelts uncomfortable to wear at all.

None of those things are as uncomfortable and suffocating as wearing a mask, I don't find seatbelts uncomfortable to wear at all.

Word of advice, get a satin face mask.
Much better than the disposable or cotton ones, and won't case any skin issues that you can get from moisture build ups.
I've bought one after we went into the first lockdown and been using it ever since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back