Mega Thread Coronavirus & the AFL - Stage 4 Restrictions in Place in Vic - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is part Three.

Part One can be found here -

Part Two can be found here -

Part 4 can be found here:

Australian stats page:

Last edited by a moderator:
send 2 Vic teams to SA, 2 to WA, 2 to Qld, 2 to NSW and 2 to Tassie at end of this week. And start 14 day quarantine. Restart season on 17 July teams can then fly between perth, adelaide, sydney, hobart/launny and brisbane and continue the season thereafter

So Gold Coast still have to go to Geelong? Think they should put in a review/appeal for that.
And then return home to quarantine for 14 days? Is that correct or am I looking at it wrong?
No way this season will survive like this, just **** it all off from Victoria and if players don’t want to play the season then sit it out.

And then return home to quarantine for 14 days? Is that correct or am I looking at it wrong?
No way this season will survive like this, just fu** it all off from Victoria and if players don’t want t to play the season then sit it out.

Yep, since this block of fixturing was done the landscape has changed. Think with crowds being allowed in a few states, and generally the uncertainty regarding travel allowances for AFL teams flying to / from VIC, that we need to have the next block of games held interstate (or VIC teams playing here amongst one another whilst the SA / QLD / WA / NSW teams transit and play between themselves).

No just Victoria, "Eastern States". They use it as constant rhetoric in the media and politics as to why everything is not perfect in WA those Eastern States are to blame. Standard faux nationalism that unites the WA people against a common imagined enemy.

Creds - used to live in WA, many family still do.

Yeh, Victoria sure is proving us wrong on this count right now :D

So Gold Coast still have to go to Geelong? Think they should put in a review/appeal for that.
Nearly all Victorian cases are in Melbourne. Geelong has had 1 case in about 2 months. If Gold Coast are flying into Avalon, they’ll not have to go anywhere near Melbourne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So your suggestion would be to listen to someone whose response has been objectively worse and who lies habitually?

You guys fighting over who has the best politicians is a bit like arguing about who has the cutest rats in your pantry.

Nearly all Victorian cases are in Melbourne. Geelong has had 1 case in about 2 months. If Gold Coast are flying into Avalon, they’ll not have to go anywhere near Melbourne.

Depends whether they segregate Geelong from Melbourne, they haven't done so previously. And does Virgin have authority to land at Avalon (if Avalon are even accepting flights at the moment)?

Would another option for Vic clubs rather than head interstate be to have hubs in Country Victoria in places which are relatively unaffected by COVID in places like Bendigo or Ballarat?

Depends whether they segregate Geelong from Melbourne, they haven't done so previously. And does Virgin have authority to land at Avalon (if Avalon are even accepting flights at the moment)?
Yeah, fair point. I’m in Torquay and it feels like it’s as busy as the height of summer the past few days, with I’d assume many of the holidaymakers being from Melbourne.

Must admit I don’t know the answer to your questions regarding Avalon, but I don’t think it’s totally shut down currently.

Would another option for Vic clubs rather than head interstate be to have hubs in Country Victoria in places which are relatively unaffected by COVID in places like Bendigo or Ballarat?
It won’t be in the entire state of Victoria. AFL plays that straw, season is done. You’d think the other states will consider that option when coming back from country Victoria ? Don’t think so.

Doesn’t take into account anything. Community transmission is occurring, and Geelong players are mostly based around Melbourne CBD as well.

Maybe, but I’m not sure it makes a large difference. It just takes one affected person travelling to those areas and you can have an outbreak there. And depending on what happens within that time, Victoria’s numbers could grow such that they find themselves completely locked out of the other states (like what happened with Richmond today). Obviously a major risk.

Why not just reduce the risk and go play in front of crowds somewhere? It makes the most sense from a safety and economic aspect.

Doesn’t take into account anything. Community transmission is occurring, and Geelong players are mostly based around Melbourne CBD as well.
Have you been to Melbourne lately?
Somehow I doubt that most Geelong players would base themselves in Melbourne, then have to negotiate the traffic between Melbourne and Geelong up to 7 days a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back