Could Blair Hartley go to Port?

Remove this Banner Ad

Was listening to Rucci on AW last night, and he indicated that the broom will be going through Port, with coaches, development, fitness, and recruiting all being replaced.

Given Blair's Port Adelaide past, and his public success in leading our targeted poaching of existing afl listed players, could he be a prime target for Port to look at?

Heard nothing and know nothing, but for me I think he would be a very good get for them. As such, I hope Benny has him handcuffed to the ME Bank Centre. Personally I think his work in recruitment and the like has been a big factor in our improvement, and I'd hate to lose the guy.

We just got him from Port, why would he want to go back now that Port's at its lowest point in history, and he's being better appreciated and better paid at Richmond than he ever was there?

They are still paying Chocco Williams. The AFL needs to take the cheque book off them for a few years.

Actually they need the afl cheque book. They are suffering like we did when you cut recruiting, development, and the footy dept to the bone.

Afl won't want them to wallow, I predict their compo payment may be juiced this year to Kangas/dogs proportions

We just got him from Port, why would he want to go back now that Port's at its lowest point in history, and he's being better appreciated and better paid at Richmond than he ever was there?

The same reason we convinced people to come to us, the chance to build a club in your own image fom scratch, and create a true legacy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really? Who would replace him?

I am sure that there are more people than Blair Hartley available to identify opposition talent that could be picked up on the cheap. I think the success of the footy club has been placing someone in this role. Don't get me wrong he has done a good job, but I am sure someone else could deliver a similar outcome.

I am sure that there are more people than Blair Hartley available to identify opposition talent that could be picked up on the cheap. I think the success of the footy club has been placing someone in this role. Don't get me wrong he has done a good job, but I am sure someone else could deliver a similar outcome.

You said, and I quote 'easily replaceable' either give names or a statement like that is just silly.

You said, and I quote 'easily replaceable' either give names or a statement like that is just silly.

I don't know the names of specific recruiters.

Blair Hartley wasn't born with the god given skill of being able to identify talent from opposition sides more than say recruiter A or B. It is the fact he has been given oppurtunity to go out and perform this role that has made him a sucess. He was not a good recruiter at Port. All i am saying is I think the role is what has been a sucess and Blair has done it well but it is not as though there are not a million other recruiters out there who would be chomping at the bit to get in this kind of gig if Blair were to leave who could perform just as well.

I don't know the names of specific recruiters.

Blair Hartley wasn't born with the god given skill of being able to identify talent from opposition sides more than say recruiter A or B. It is the fact he has been given oppurtunity to go out and perform this role that has made him a sucess. He was not a good recruiter at Port. All i am saying is I think the role is what has been a sucess and Blair has done it well but it is not as though there are not a million other recruiters out there who would be chomping at the bit to get in this kind of gig if Blair were to leave who could perform just as well.

Well without names it's kinda stupid don't you think to say that he would be 'easily replaceable'?

In fact I've gone through Carlton's, Collingwoods, Essendons and Hawthorns staff list and not one of them had somebody dedicated to what Blair does specifically.

I think Blair's skills are a major reason as to why we have been one of the more successful clubs of late to pull off some amazing trades, how many other clubs besides Sydney has there been do as well in trading in the past couple of years as we have.

Hope we keep him but to be honest don't think he has the toughest job in the world and he is easily replaceable if moved on.
That's a bit harsh. He's done a corker job for us.
There's been some howler **** ups done over the years at Richmond, so if Blairs kpi is successful recruiting (if not, what?) then the boy deserves a pay raise and the corner office. "easily replaceable" = no.

Well without names it's kinda stupid don't you think to say that he would be 'easily replaceable'?

In fact I've gone through Carlton's, Collingwoods, Essendons and Hawthorns staff list and not one of them had somebody dedicated to what Blair does specifically.

I think Blair's skills are a major reason as to why we have been one of the more successful clubs of late to pull off some amazing trades, how many other clubs besides Sydney has there been do as well in trading in the past couple of years as we have.

I respectfully disagree.

I am not suggesting Blair is not good at what he does...he has been a great asset. I am just arguing I think the role he has been placed in has been more valuable than the man himself. There would be plenty of blokes who could have identified that Shaun Grigg/Bachar Houli and Ivan Maric were adequate trade targets suited to Richmonds needs at the time. I am not saying Blair is no good all i am saying is that I don't subscribe to the fact that he cannot be replaced by someone who could do an equally good job. I attribute the success more to whoever made the call that we hire someone to look directly at other lists............

You can't tell me Blair is the only recruiter walking around in the AFL that can perform this role....there would be a host of blokes with the ability to identify neglected/cheap AFL talent and bring it in. Matt Rendell is a name of a bloke who would do an equally good job.

Again I am not suggesting Blair is no good I am just saying I think if he were to get poached it would just mean someone else would continue in his footsteps...

I respectfully disagree.

I am not suggesting Blair is not good at what he does...he has been a great asset. I am just arguing I think the role he has been placed in has been more valuable than the man himself. There would be plenty of blokes who could have identified that Shaun Grigg/Bachar Houli and Ivan Maric were adequate trade targets suited to Richmonds needs at the time. I am not saying Blair is no good all i am saying is that I don't subscribe to the fact that he cannot be replaced by someone who could do an equally good job. I attribute the success more to whoever made the call that we hire someone to look directly at other lists............

You can't tell me Blair is the only recruiter walking around in the AFL that can perform this role....there would be a host of blokes with the ability to identify neglected/cheap AFL talent and bring it in. Matt Rendell is a name of a bloke who would do an equally good job.

Again I am not suggesting Blair is no good I am just saying I think if he were to get poached it would just mean someone else would continue in his footsteps...

I also respectfully disagree.

And I think you are under selling what Blair has done/doing greatly.

Look at what Collingwood paid for Jolly, and then look at what we paid for Maric.

Look at what the Dogs paid for Sherman, and then look at what we paid for Grigg/Houli.

And then Morris, well he's just the icing on top of the cake, we basically got him for free, and he'd easily slot into any teams best 22.

It's not just about identifying the talent, but also identifying the price at which we will have to pay for them, all players perfectly targeted at exactly the right time and gotten as cheap as chips.

I also respectfully disagree.

And I think you are under selling what Blair has done/doing greatly.

Look at what Collingwood paid for Jolly, and then look at what we paid for Maric.

Look at what the Dogs paid for Sherman, and then look at what we paid for Grigg/Houli.

And then Morris, well he's just the icing on top of the cake, we basically got him for free, and he'd easily slot into any teams best 22.

It's not just about identifying the talent, but also identifying the price at which we will have to pay for them, all players perfectly targeted at exactly the right time and gotten as cheap as chips.
Morris wasn't Blair Hartley's doing, whilst A.Maric appears to be his only failure and I.Maric, Grigg, Miller and Houli being hits.

I respectfully disagree.

rendell is a bad example as he would be the boss.

Remove this Banner Ad

Could Blair Hartley go to Port?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back