Could Port Move to Adelaide Oval now?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not going to argue with you because it's pointless but...

Hypothetically are you suggesting the SANFL were NEVER planning on entering a team in the AFL? right

Of course they were going, whether that was 1993, 1996 or 2015 it was going to happen.

Therefore, it only quicken up the process.

no i didn't say that. i said that you do not know for a fact that a team was going to be entered in 1993. you have no proof of that you're just making something up to support your idea that the SANFL were going to put a team in anyway. maybe that team would have eventually been Glenelg in 1995. maybe Port Adelaide in 1991 after the two sides worked something out. maybe it was to be a composite team all along. but do you really know or are you just pretending they're facts?

no i didn't say that. i said that you do not know for a fact that a team was going to be entered in 1993. you have no proof of that you're just making something up to support your idea that the SANFL were going to put a team in anyway. maybe that team would have eventually been Glenelg in 1995. maybe Port Adelaide in 1991 after the two sides worked something out. maybe it was to be a composite team all along. but do you really know or are you just pretending they're facts?

As far as I know, that was fact but at the present moment, I can not prove it as I can not find the facts or a reliable source.

I remember reading it in a book in the mid 1990's as well as in an SANFL strategic plan from the 1980's. The information came from the same book that outlined how the SANFL trademarked the name "The Adelaide Football club" in 1983 whist talks were going on about entering a side in the VFL.

As far as i know - they were always going to enter a composite side before entering a stand along club.

Of course it’s great, it’s almost the greatest thing to happen to Adelaide since the 1980’s and early 1990’s F1 races. And of course Crows fans are going to get defensive when they (port fans) try and hijack it for their own use. Something so great is for everyone, not just one demographic.

Speaking of hijacking isn't this thread about PORT :rolleyes:

Damn right. Port Adelaide are the catalysts for everything in SA footy. We are the ones who got AFL footy to SA. Even if wasn't for us, there would not be the Adelaide Crows. Now we are the ones who got AFL footy to Adelaide Oval. Again if it wasn't for Port, AFL footy would be stuck at AAMI Stadium for the next 50 years.

I would suggest that Ross Oakley got AFL footy to SA, considering he played Port and Norwood against each other and therefore broke the SANFL's negotiation position.

As for Port playing there next year, if it can be worked out, good luck to them :thumbsu:

No - it's about the Adelaide Oval and both side have a vested interested, not just ONE.

I've read the thread title 5 times now just to make sure my eyes aren't playing tricks on me. Pretty sure is says "Could Port move to Adelaide Oval now?"

I've read the thread title 5 times now just to make sure my eyes aren't playing tricks on me. Pretty sure is says "Could Port move to Adelaide Oval now?"

Yeah and the second post should have answered with a NO and then the rest of the posts become about the Adelaide Oval.

Speaking of hijacking isn't this thread about PORT :rolleyes:

You can really sense the panic in some of their posts, can't you.

I've always been of the belief that when the Crows supporters start to wail, it means we're on the right track. :)

little Svetlana just arrived from deepest Lithuania.

"Daddyisk Adelaide is so beautiful but where do they play this Aussie Rules I've heard about".

"Vell Svetty In the SA Great brochure it says they have 2 local teams that play in something called the AFL".

"Oh Daddyisk can we go to one of their games I hear the players are sooooo cute with hardly any backhair!!"

"Well yes we can either see the Port Adelaide games at Adelaide Oval or we can watch the Adelaide team play at their home in Port Adelaide.............Vait Svetty this cannot be.........Perhaps the brochure has it wrong...........This is more confusing than when the Lithuanian womens weightlifters tested negative for female hormones!!"

"Daddyisk In this brochure it says the Power have won many times over many years and they are a very good team............Why do they not play where there supporters live?"

"I think Svetty the answer to that question lies in the availability of black plastic. Perhaps it is easier to procure in the city area and looking at the pictures of their previous home games the black plastic seems to out number their fans".

"Daddyisk this is a strange situation. The team that has been around since the 19th century seems to feel threatened by the team that started only a few years ago. This newer team must be pretty formidable I'm thinking".

"Svetty I'm thinking this team called the Power just needs an injection of male hormones".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Especially once the Chappell Stands get ripped down, you'll see basically nothing but construction work during the broadcast.

Chappelli has finally pissed off the South Australian Cricket board off too much or they have just realised that Greg and Trevor went to play in different states.

The good weather made it looked attractive on Sunday.

Aami stadium on television looks a decent stadium.

Is it a different feel when you get there that they are looking to move?

The Bradman stand goes next year as well as the southern hill.

That leaves the western stand with capacity of 14k, the northern hill, say 3-5k and the Chappell stands say 5-7k...my guess is capacity will be 22-26k next year.

In 2013 the new southern stand will be built which should take capacity over 30k.

That's the sticking point to the whole argument as to whether its viable to play there during the next two years.

we all know who's stand that is. For Port games to be there 100 years of history would have to be turned in their graves to allow the common folk in otherwise 20,000 people will be standing on a dirt mound behind a 20ft cyclone wire fence and a Baulderstone banner.

Crowd numbers = $$$
$$$ = Faster construction

it's a win/win

****ing good effort for ~30k. location seems to be a huge factor.

Who wants to travel out to whoop whoop to see their team? Especially when they look in line for the spoon. Finals bound hells yes. But shit location is shit location

Wait a minute...

Hmmm...

Just possibly.

Why is that? Spending part of their handout on moving to a venue 2 years earlier then planned to help develop there membership base for the long term is not money well spent how?

That's the sticking point to the whole argument as to whether its viable to play there during the next two years.

we all know who's stand that is. For Port games to be there 100 years of history would have to be turned in their graves to allow the common folk in otherwise 20,000 people will be standing on a dirt mound behind a 20ft cyclone wire fence and a Baulderstone banner.

If you are saying that SACA members will expect free access to Port games I don't think you are right. I doubt they got that last Sunday and I don't think they got that for the Socceroos game in ~July.

Port would need to know in advance to perhaps sell FP memberships and an FP/AO membership.

Whether they make money shifting games to AO will be the clincher.

You can really sense the panic in some of their posts, can't you.

I've always been of the belief that when the Crows supporters start to wail, it means we're on the right track. :)

I guess the corollary of that is that the Crows have been on the right track since 1990 given that the Port supporters have been continously wailing and whinging since that time.

Hows about you so-called Port supporters who profess to be the greatest supporters in the world actually bury your victim mentality, actually show up and support your club so that it doesnt continually need handouts.

FWIW I and a group of 13 other Crows supporters actually paid and attended the AO to watch that PA v Melb game as a one-off.

The AO will be great for both clubs, and they should be working together to get as close to a "clean stadium" type deal as possible, otherwise in the long term many of the financial constraints suffered at AAMI will be repeated at the AO.

Crowd numbers = $$$
$$$ = Faster construction

it's a win/win

****ing good effort for ~30k. location seems to be a huge factor.

Who wants to travel out to whoop whoop to see their team? Especially when they look in line for the spoon. Finals bound hells yes. But shit location is shit location
They've got the money.

I would've thought construction would be a lot quicker if they didn't have to worry about games being played there every second week.

Even if AO capacity goes down to 22-26k whilst those stands get revamped, the atmosphere and soul at those matches will be 10 X better than the pathetic sight of 16k at Aami surrounded by black plastic.

Crows will still fill Aami twice a month so its revenue costs wil be ok.
It actually must lose money every time Port plays at Aami.

So Port playing at AO in '12 '13 is a win/win. :thumbsu::thumbsu:

If you are saying that SACA members will expect free access to Port games I don't think you are right. I doubt they got that last Sunday and I don't think they got that for the Socceroos game in ~July.

Port would need to know in advance to perhaps sell FP memberships and an FP/AO membership.

Whether they make money shifting games to AO will be the clincher.
I think what DB was driving at is that they don't care about access to Port games, they care about Port fans who aren't members of SACA sitting in the Members Stand.

As a member IDGAF.

I think what DB was driving at is that they don't care about access to Port games, they care about Port fans who aren't members of SACA sitting in the Members Stand.

As a member IDGAF.

Well if that was the case last Sunday wouldn't have gone ahead and the AO vote would have gone down in a screaming heap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Could Port Move to Adelaide Oval now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back