Could the hounddog go?

Remove this Banner Ad

SAbella

Team Captain
Jul 14, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
Just a question: Is there any chance Nathan Bassett could go to another team next year? Does he have a contract with the Crows and how fullproof is it?
Seems as though Ayres and him have had quite a falling out and it would not be surprising if he starts to feel disheartened at the club and maybe could lose his passion for the team-Ayres needs to becareful about the psychological impact he is having on his players, motivation is a key factor in winning games, I don't think suspending good players from games is a very effective way of winning games.

I bloody hope not, it's been common knowledge now for a while Stevo's only got a little bit left - he can't be our fullback, only Bassett can.

Can anyone tell me did he do something wrong it surely wasn't form or is it a fall out with the coach . What the hell happened !!!

Poor ole Blighty got the **** bagged out of him last week for daring to make such a suggestion on this board. Perhaps that was because he thought it was a good idea, but still, the odds have certainly shortened that way with Bassett's non selection this week.

settle petals!!!!!!!

Fred isn't going to be traded or delisted. Poor form is the key to Nathan's demise. He didn't play well for Norwood last week either.

I want him back too but I am not concerned about his future at all.

k
xx

Maybe Ayres has decided he wants to go with Aiden Parker and Ken McGregor as his key position defenders?

All I've heard about Bassett is that he's a bit "out there" with some of his beliefs. Doesn't change the fact he seems a good club-man to me. Could be he's rubbed Ayres up the wrong way?

If he is dumped by the Crows, I'd imagine several clubs will knock on his door

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And just to add insult to (my) injury, Bassett kicks an after the siren goal to win the match for Norwood against South this afternoon.

He played at CHF apparently. Not too sure how his match was.

Originally posted by maccas_no1
If they get rid of Nathan Bassett I WILL be joining Jars458 and Angle Eyes at the protest

We might have to find some WMD's for use on whoever makes that decision :( This club will go down the sh|tter if it starts treating good club men like the Hound like they do at StKilda or one of the other basketcase Victorian clubs. Hope this is just a nasty rumour.

Originally posted by Still Crowing
We might have to find some WMD's for use on whoever makes that decision :( This club will go down the sh|tter if it starts treating good club men like the Hound like they do at StKilda or one of the other basketcase Victorian clubs. Hope this is just a nasty rumour.

Tony Modra
Tony McGuinness
Chris McDermott
Rodney Maynard

anymore anyone?

hummmmmm

I agree with you about Maynard and McDermott, Dave, but I reckon Tony McGuinness had some good AFL footy left in him.

Modra is the one that the Crows stuffed up royally on, at least that's what my "red hot Crow supporting" wife says, I agree with her.

Originally posted by Asgardian
I agree with you about Maynard and McDermott, Dave, but I reckon Tony McGuinness had some good AFL footy left in him.
Yeah I thought the same at the time. Andrew Jarman too, although he was a recalcitrant.

But 1997 was rebuilding year (and what a rebuilding year! ;)), so pensioning McGuiness off was fair enough.

Modra is the one that the Crows stuffed up royally on, at least that's what my "red hot Crow supporting" wife says, I agree with her.
Yeah it's a shame he had to go, but his form had tapered off and by the sounds of things he might've had a destabilising influence.

We traded him for Stenglein (and Beinke), so with hindsight I'm not unhappy about that deal.

Andrew Jarman burnt every bridge on the planet when he refused to play in that game that Shaw called him up for.

Blight would be the last coach on earth who'd accept a temper tantrum like that

"Blight would be the last coach on earth who'd accept a temper tantrum like that"

Ayres was Blight's assistant at Geelong..... & would have seen first hand Blight's absolute iron hand discipline.

Ayres still acknowledges he speaks to Blight occasionally!

And don't underestimate Reid's role in this as it was Reidy who did the firing before Blight arrived in Adelaide.

Do you seriously think they'd put up with Bassett's petulant behavior given his poor form already acknowledged by the coach?

Ayres has already stated publicly he's told Fantasia he wants a key defender. If he was happy with Bassett do you really think he would have stated it so obviously?

Hawthorn are also looking for a key defender, with rumours Hay maybe available.He could be an obvious candidate.

I believe if a player is dropped in round 21 or 22 after being the prefered choice for many games previous it's signals the match committee have run out of patience with him.... & if you then add to that the coachs' criticisms of him about a month ago; you have a scenario where other clubs get the signal he may not be required as the first choice defender.......

He'll be one of the first put up in the trading period !

Steven Trigg was dead set serious on 5AA today when he said that if Adelaide didn't need Bassett and were looking to trade him that they wouldn't have signed him up for 3 years.

I think if Bassett doesn't play next week against WC the writing is on the wall as he had a pretty good game for Norwood yesterday.

Originally posted by Stiffy_18
Steven Trigg was dead set serious on 5AA today when he said that if Adelaide didn't need Bassett and were looking to trade him that they wouldn't have signed him up for 3 years.

I think if Bassett doesn't play next week against WC the writing is on the wall as he had a pretty good game for Norwood yesterday.

I heard that Stiffy but did you really believe him?? Normally Triggy is smooth and calm, but he was very rattled and explosive on this issue. My immediate reaction was one along the lines of "methinks the lady doth protesteth too much".

You don't think for one moment that any well run footy club is going to confirm something like this?? In my mind the way that Triggy carried on only confirmed the rumours.

Hopefully they will call a truce this week and restore our back line to what it was when we were playing well.

Originally posted by macca23
I heard that Stiffy but did you really believe him?? Normally Triggy is smooth and calm, but he was very rattled and explosive on this issue. My immediate reaction was one along the lines of "methinks the lady doth protesteth too much".

You don't think for one moment that any well run footy club is going to confirm something like this?? In my mind the way that Triggy carried on only confirmed the rumours.

Hopefully they will call a truce this week and restore our back line to what it was when we were playing well.
He was not a happy chap thats for sure. If Bassett does get traded then we better get one hell of a ruckman or a FB in the league of Scarlett or Mal Michael in return. I think Jonathan Hay would be handy too.

But I still think Bassett will be a crow next season.

But didn't Rowey give Bassett a bit of a spray. he said that he was disinterested and playing only for himself with Norwood yesterday. Apparently he was one angry man and went of at McIntosh in the huddle for playing him at FB.:(

Remove this Banner Ad

Could the hounddog go?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back