WSYD Crackers says Port Melbourne would beat GWS and Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Crackers living upto his nickname. The Coast would slaughter any state league team by 100 plus points. GWS would find it more difficult, probably only winning by 70 plus points. You can't compare pro's with pretenders.

GC would easily beat them. GWS probably would too (Power, Scully, Ward, Davis, Palmer, McDonald, Cornes etc are all well above state level).

The bigger bodies might cause a problem, but with players of the calibre they've picked up they could outdo a state side.

There is a gulf in quality, other wise the Brock McLean types (solid skills, strong bodies, not too athletic) would all be up in the AFL.

Yep, when you look back to his season in the VFL as a 17 year old, David Swallow was one of the top players in that league.

Advance 2 pre-seasons and some AFL football and he would likely dominate. That mixed with a midfield of guys like Ablett, Brennan (if playing there), Prestia and Riscattelli with a ruck division of Smith and Fraser and it would be unlikely any VFL team could get near them.

GWS showed today that if a solid side like WC is even slightly off the boil they can rebound and be highly competitive. Add McDonald back in the mix and again I think they would be way to strong for a second tier comps side.

It is more the romantic notion that we have of the state leagues and promise of the unknown that makes people think a team like Port Melbourne would snag a win.

Crackers living upto his nickname. The Coast would slaughter any state league team by 100 plus points. GWS would find it more difficult, probably only winning by 70 plus points. You can't compare pro's with pretenders.

Pros or not that is rubbish, almost every player on the Eagles list that does not get a game is not a top 10 player at their state league club.

I cannot name you a Sandover medalist that was on an AFL list.

They are kids playing against men, may have more potential but bottom line is that as a kid playing against men they will lose in the state league just as they do in the AFL.

I am still to this day seen an AFL listed player dominate in the WAFL.

Pros or not that is rubbish, almost every player on the Eagles list that does not get a game is not a top 10 player at their state league club.

I cannot name you a Sandover medalist that was on an AFL list.

They are kids playing against men, may have more potential but bottom line is that as a kid playing against men they will lose in the state league just as they do in the AFL.

I am still to this day seen an AFL listed player dominate in the WAFL.

Priddis was on the WCE list when he won his Sandover in 2006.

Port simply could not win.

Their midfield would get smashed to pieces, no ifs no buts, period.

The kind of dominance GC would inflict in the middle would make it impossible for Port.

As for Claremont, no chance. A strong WC outfit that finished top 4 was solidly challenged by GC last year.

Claremont much like East Freo relies on a fair few fringe WC players to be so competitive. If they can provide solid competition on a good day to an Essendon (this year) or a WC they would annihilate Claremont.

Ok, not entirely accurate. We aren't relying on anyone from WC or Freo at Claremont. Claremont, for many years now have been producing players for the draft hand over fist. Some do well, some not so.
The vast majority of AFL listed players at Claremont were produced by and drafted from Claremont.
I'm willing to guess that it's often the case down at the old easts.

AFL listed players are a bit of a double edged sword at any rate, they are handy to have around but they often aren't as well versed in the current game plan and structures as the regular club players and are also frequently not there, being called up to their AFL duties.
Should an AFL player be dropped and going through a rough patch i.e. not performing well at state league level either then spats ensue when the WAFL club has the temerity to drop said AFL player down to the ressies.

Back top the point at hand.

Yeah, it's be interesting to see Claremont go up against GC or GWS, but I think we'd get our asses handed to us.

Take it back 17 odd years, a big chunk of the then Claremont Tigers went to play in the AFL as the newly formed Fremantle side. They won nine (predictions said zero wins) games and were only a couple of wins and a handful of points and goals outside of the eight that year.
Then is not now though. The level of the WAFL is good but nowhere near where it was, not even back in 1995.

Another point, The Northern Bullants beat GWS last year in the Foxtel cup, Claremont wnet on to beat the Bullants convincingly. Unless I'm mistaken GWS were literally just kids last year though.

Ok, not entirely accurate. We aren't relying on anyone from WC or Freo at Claremont. Claremont, for many years now have been producing players for the draft hand over fist. Some do well, some not so.
The vast majority of AFL listed players at Claremont were produced by and drafted from Claremont.
I'm willing to guess that it's often the case down at the old easts.

Koby Stevens and Mitch Brown aren't East Freo products but most of the AFL listed players are. In previous years Masten, Palmer and Griffin have all played a lot for East Freo and are East Freo products.

Most of East Freo's AFL products aren't playing reserves though.

Look at GC's record in the VFL in 2010. They were fairly competitive, beat quite a few sides. And that was with a bunch of 17/18 year olds. The current GC would annihilate any VFL side.

As for GWS, I could see them losing to top state league sides. But before too long they will be at a similar level to GC.

Look at GC's record in the VFL in 2010. They were fairly competitive, beat quite a few sides. And that was with a bunch of 17/18 year olds. The current GC would annihilate any VFL side.

As for GWS, I could see them losing to top state league sides. But before too long they will be at a similar level to GC.
They beat Frankston, Geelong and drew with Werribee.

Next two. Round 7 is Williamstown at Burbank Oval.

Nope, it got changed last week as Burbank Oval's restoration is about a month behind schedule.

So Round 7 is now at North Port Oval, while Round 18 is now at Willi.

The (I think) round 9 game for Willi v Coburg (I believe) has been switched to the Whitten Oval.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Without Ablett, Harbrow, Warnock, Bock, Richatelli, Brennan, Fraser, Brown, etc. Pretty good effort.
Wait, Frankston? The team that rarely holds onto senior players for even a year before they get poached? They've been at the bottom for a while now and it's because any quality players they have get snatched away.

I do admit that they did alright to draw with Werribee but Werribee got the short end of the stick when it came to North players that year and had just lost Barlow and Podsiadly so they hadn't replaced their two best players and they hadn't gotten O'Dwyer yet.

Wait, Frankston? The team that rarely holds onto senior players for even a year before they get poached? They've been at the bottom for a while now and it's because any quality players they have get snatched away.

I do admit that they did alright to draw with Werribee but Werribee got the short end of the stick when it came to North players that year and had just lost Barlow and Podsiadly so they hadn't replaced their two best players and they hadn't gotten O'Dwyer yet.

So ****ing what?

Well, maybe it's time to re-evaluate how Port Melbourne would go against GWS and Gold Coast.

Currently, both GWS and GC are winless.

Port Melbourne has started the season with a 7-0 start, including it's 28th win in a row.

However, one figure that stands out is this...

It's average winning margin at home (after 4 games) is 88 points! :eek::eek::eek:

Now before some people say "yeah, against the bottom sides I bet", these are the teams they beat at home...

Defeated Werribee (Preliminary Finalists in 2011) by 59 points
Defeated North Ballarat (Semi Finals 2011, Premiers 08/09/10) by 84 points
Defeated Northern Blues (Preliminary Finalists 2011) by 126 points
Defeated Williamstown (Runners up 2011, Foxtel Cup winner 2011) by 80 points.

That's nothing but brutal! :thumbsu:

Well, maybe it's time to re-evaluate how Port Melbourne would go against GWS and Gold Coast.

Currently, both GWS and GC are winless.

Port Melbourne has started the season with a 7-0 start, including it's 28th win in a row.

However, one figure that stands out is this...

It's average winning margin at home (after 4 games) is 88 points! :eek::eek::eek:

Now before some people say "yeah, against the bottom sides I bet", these are the teams they beat at home...

Defeated Werribee (Preliminary Finalists in 2011) by 59 points
Defeated North Ballarat (Semi Finals 2011, Premiers 08/09/10) by 84 points
Defeated Northern Blues (Preliminary Finalists 2011) by 126 points
Defeated Williamstown (Runners up 2011, Foxtel Cup winner 2011) by 80 points.

That's nothing but brutal! :thumbsu:

Have you watched the last couple of games GC and GWS have played?

GWS were down by 3 goals with a quarter to go against Carlton, and GC could have easily got wins against Freo and Essendon, two teams in contention for the 8.

It may be a competitive game against the Giants, but they would not win. Zero chance against the Suns.

Believed we'd smash Port Melbourne at the beginning of this thread, and even more confident now that we'd give them a belting so comprehensive that it would leave them with severe psychological damage.

Believed we'd smash Port Melbourne at the beginning of this thread, and even more confident now that we'd give them a belting so comprehensive that it would leave them with severe psychological damage.

No you won't. Will be a very tight match.

I've never seen a VFL game - what's the game style like? I assume it's more 'traditional' considering the lesser conditioning of the players. You're not seeing 100 rotations are you?

On that level alone I think any side would struggle against AFL teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

WSYD Crackers says Port Melbourne would beat GWS and Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back