Coach Craig McRae

Remove this Banner Ad

Very generational also. All my friends parents were always Mr and Mrs. Even to this day, not that there are many left, I would call them that and feel uncomfortable if they said call me Gwen or what ever.

At the same time I have never been called Mr by my kids friends or by juniors at work and would hate to be addressed that way. Things changed.
I insist my daughters friends call me "Mr Eyed" or Sir.

Or not.

Very odd discussion on how our new coach should be addressed on a forum?

My last post got deleted.

So I’ll focus solely on the current coach rather than past failings.

Fly’s training regime (so far) appears to have NOT increased soft tissue injuries. Bravo sir!!

I love that he and his new staff have kept soft tissue injuries to a minimum. They are protecting young players from unnecessary injuries so they can maximise development.

I just love Flys professionalism and understating of player management so far. Hasn’t put a foot wrong since he was announced coach.

I’m loving the new era!! Obviously a long way to go, but so far I’m loving that he wants us to play contested footy and move the ball fast into the fwd 50.

I love that he creates distinct roles for players like Grundy to make the game simple and identifies his weakness was connecting with midfields and coming up with strategies to improve him.

Can’t wait to watch this team evolve under him in 2022 and beyond!!
I love that you love all there is to love about Fly's presence, methods and impact. I had no clue what was happening at ground level but am now much the wiser. I feel now I have a fly on the Fly's wall eye view of events at the club. Let's hope the new back to basics approach bears fruit

My last post got deleted.

So I’ll focus solely on the current coach rather than past failings.

Fly’s training regime (so far) appears to have NOT increased soft tissue injuries. Bravo sir!!

I love that he and his new staff have kept soft tissue injuries to a minimum. They are protecting young players from unnecessary injuries so they can maximise development.

I just love Flys professionalism and understating of player management so far. Hasn’t put a foot wrong since he was announced coach.

I’m loving the new era!! Obviously a long way to go, but so far I’m loving that he wants us to play contested footy and move the ball fast into the fwd 50.

I love that he creates distinct roles for players like Grundy to make the game simple and identifies his weakness was connecting with midfields and coming up with strategies to improve him.

Can’t wait to watch this team evolve under him in 2022 and beyond!!
Remember - a deleted post is the highest award you can earn on this site.

he diffuses or ignores the headlines...,, often he deflects the headline to something else or to someone else. A great example is how mcrae deflects is with the flagmantle comment.

longmuir does it well too....even robinson acknowledges the he isnt a headline maker. Both coaches reframe questions as development opportunities.

This guy is a gem.
Watch from the 25 minute mark.

Yes, he is a beauty Fly. The Pies have hit the jackpot with McRae. He just looks like he is going to be a long-term successful coach. Obviously has a great football brain, but is also measured and calm.

we shouldnt forget that his presence encouraged the lepper and bolton to come on board. You have to ask yourself why they made that choice. He seems to be happy to sit back and watch others do their stuff. I think he would encourage others to use their skills and have some autonomy. I'm not convinced that he's the central figure in all the strategy stuff that people are obsessed with. He would be happy to embrace a plan that was agreed upon. I think those people who like to think that the coach is central to every decision in a club would be disappointed when they found out how macrae operates. Thats my feeling from watching him.

we shouldnt forget that his presence encouraged the lepper and bolton to come on board. You have to ask yourself why they made that choice. He seems to be happy to sit back and watch others do their stuff. I think he would encourage others to use their skills and have some autonomy. I'm not convinced that he's the central figure in all the strategy stuff that people are obsessed with. He would be happy to embrace a plan that was agreed upon. I think those people who like to think that the coach is central to every decision in a club would be disappointed when they found out how macrae operates. Thats my feeling from watching him.
Spot on and that's why the previous coach had to go

Spot on and that's why the previous coach had to go

macrae's had some advantages over buckley in that he was largely unknown by the footy public except for his footy.....buckley could say that he was going to decentralise and spread the load and concentrate on people rather than outcomes, but the problem was no one believed him even if he did change inside. Plus buckley had a load of supporters and haters at the club that he coached at...which is a burden both ways.

I've always said that the first thing a coach ...in fact anyone at collingwood, including the president... should do is to keep the lowest profile possible and just do their jobs. So thank god eddie has gone for that reason too.

macrae's had some advantages over buckley in that he was largely unknown by the footy public except for his footy.....buckley could say that he was going to decentralise and spread the load and concentrate on people rather than outcomes, but the problem was no one believed him even if he did change inside. Plus buckley had a load of supporters and haters at the club that he coached at...which is a burden both ways.

I've always said that the first thing a coach ...in fact anyone at collingwood, including the president... should do is to keep the lowest profile possible and just do their jobs. So thank god eddie has gone for that reason too.
It’s wrong, but you’re right unfortunately. Can’t help but love and admire these individuals for their passions of the CFC, but the tough decisions had to be made and they were.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Something really really encouraging and positive about him that could easily fly under the radar is (what seems like) his ability to develop players and transform underperformers into really important role players in a side.

This is an aspect of coaching that so easily goes unnoticed. You can take a look at Murphy, Cox and Cameron’s resurgence and even Noble’s elevation and say clearly he’s showing the ability to work with what he’s got, and make players that aren’t superstars into really good servants of the club. It’s early days, and this isn’t set in stone yet 13 games in, but a coach that can do that is exceptional and often are ride right to the top.

Hardwick, Clarko, even Goodwin have this knack and if you watch rugby or soccer two of the giants in coaching Bellamy at Storm, or Klopp at Liverpool have this ability which has set them apart.

Hopefully Fly further proves this because you don’t always need a team of 22 exceptional superstars (Richmond certainly weren’t imo) to be the best group of winners in a comp.

Another excellent press conference after the game. It was probably his best in many ways. The boys asked him 100 questions in rapid fire for over 10 minutes and he gave short sharp vanilla answers to each one. I just finished watching it and I couldnt tell you one thing that he said because he just doesnt say much ....other than the improvement thing....and just encouragement for the players ...and positivity.

Once again, he completely ignored questions about finals. Choosing to answer his interpretation of the question, reframing in a subtle way.

It will be interesting to see how he handles questions about finals if and when we make it a dead certainty. "I still don't know how good we are"...lol. He must have spent all summer coming up with that line. He's running rings around the media.

Pure Footy: Stats men David King, Daniel Hoyne lift lid on AFL trends after round 13​

Collingwood has risen from 17th to eighth with an exciting blueprint from new coach Craig McRae. And the key players in the surge will surprise you. WATCH

less than 2 min read
June 14, 2022 - 4:02PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

There was one hint in Collingwood’s disastrous 2021 season that things could turn around quickly at the Pies.
Despite finishing 17th with just six wins, the Magpies’ percentage of 85.6 was better than the three teams above them on the ladder.

But it would have taken a gambler to suggest they could produce the kind of footy they have over the past month.

Champion Data analyst Daniel Hoyne revealed on Pure Footy, the weekly AFL data analysis show exclusive to heraldsun.com.au, that new coach Craig McRae had created a clearly recognisable game plan that was unique in the AFL.

“They are so aggressive in how they move the ball from behind centre ... to be so strong without the footy and being so aggressive with it, is a massive tick for Craig McRae and what Collingwood are doing,” Hoyne said, adding the key players to executing the plan weren’t the biggest names at the club.

“They are the No.2 team in the competition this year at winning the ball back between the arcs. That’s them, they make it a really crazy, high-speed high intensity game in that area of the ground, and one player in particular I wanted to highlight in the past month is Nick Daicos – he’s had 25 intercepts in the past month between the arcs, that’s clearly No.1 in the competition.”

Nick Daicos is having an incredible debut season. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Nick Daicos is having an incredible debut season. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images
Hoyne also sung the praises of Brayden Maynard, who was ranked as the second-best player on the ground on Queen’s Birthday by Champion Data.
Maynard is the third-best player in the AFL at defending defensive one-on-one contests this season, losing just 11 per cent of his 27 contests.

“He’s just such a competitor, so hard to play against, he can play on talls or smalls – he’s such a weapon,” Hoyne said.

How do you know all this stuff about Buckley? Were you a fly on the Collingwood clubrooms' wall for the nine years he was there? :rolleyes: There were many stirring wins during his tenure, that demonstrated very clearly that the players were committed to the jumper, the team and the coach - for example in recent times, our last game of the 2020 season and the last game he coached.
Yes, the team has done really well under Fly to date and all kudos to him. Plus, he seems like a really likeable guy. However, it's very early days yet and he's had nowhere near the instabilities that Buckley had to contend with, such as continual serious player injuries, constantly changing footy managers, Eddie gaffs, Covid hubs and "Do Better" report. So labelling him a miracle worker is getting a bit carried away IMHO. Let's see how he copes under real pressure over a longer period of several seasons before he's labelled a miracle worker.
All coaches turn into psychopaths. It just takes the happier ones a bit longer to get there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Craig McRae

Remove this Banner Ad

Back