Creating a North Man Cave

Remove this Banner Ad

And no North man cave is complete without one of those life size cardboard Wayne Carey cut-outs from the mid '90s. Anyone got one? :D
lol. My Aunty had one of those in her lounge room. I was shit scared of it when I was a little kid. :D

It's a tough one. I've got a Gray Nicholls Dynadrive twin scoop cricket bat signed by Neil Armstrong and Laurie Lawrence that I never use. It's been in a safety deposit box at my local State Bank branch for 30-odd years. Occasionally I'll go in there and ask them to get it out just so I can hold it and feel it. Certainly gets the hairs on my spine tingling.

I too recently got a house for the first time. In the many times I've moved from rental properties I've lost most of my gear (Roosistance poster - would love one of those back, poster from Archer's 300th when Drew kicked a bag in the first quarter against the dogs at the G etc.)... But this thread has got me thinking I may need to accumulate some gear again.

Chuck me a PM.

Some good stuff there, but is that your actual bedroom? What do chicks think when you bring them home?

Your mum's a North supporter, so I'm sure it tickled her pink

So are we thinking it a bad idea then anything paper based? If my mum has not thrown them out I may still have the hardboard team photos from 1994,5,6.. so I guess they will be fine. At the moment I have an F1 themed dinning room with signed prints from Mansell, Senna and Hill so I was really hoping I could get some of the prints into the garage to keep the peace :)

Again if has not been thrown out, I should also have a Winnie Abraham Mark of the Year signed photo.. If I put insulation in the garage walls will that help at all?

Oh no that's "sinister": Sam Lane

In my study/man cave I have posters of Archer, Carey and the Weg for the 75 Premiership. The painting of the bar fridge in North colours would be piss easy - effect could be achieved with royal blue duct tape. Also have a Jonathon Hay supporter button which I keep for a laff

Again if has not been thrown out, I should also have a Winnie Abraham Mark of the Year signed photo.. If I put insulation in the garage walls will that help at all?
If you haven't already, I'd do a bit of research on google. Surely somewhere in the world has had the same problem.
If all else fails maybe you can scope out an artwork/framing shop and ask their advice, I assume they'd have a fairly good idea of what to do. Good luck!

I've got a Brent Harvey caricature hanging above the throne in the bathroom.

His ball use has always been so assured that me makes me feel at ease when I'm holding the old fella looking at it.

Shirley while standing in said position this week you've pondered how many dicks Boomer has these days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have been looking actually on the net and cant find any Melbourne examples, lots of the examples are from the UK or the USA where they have much much colder winters

I've got a Brent Harvey caricature hanging above the throne in the bathroom.

His ball use has always been so assured that me makes me feel at ease when I'm holding the old fella looking at it.

Boomer has never laid a tackle, so you're probably safe

And no North man cave is complete without one of those life size cardboard Wayne Carey cut-outs from the mid '90s. Anyone got one? :D
I had one for a couple of years but it got thrown in the pool with me after my 99 GF drunken, naked pool swim celebration.
Thought it was funny at the time but p!ssed off now

Anything paper-based will last best in consistent conditions with minimum humidity, cool but not cold temperature and minim exposure to light and handling (especially sweat and oil from skin).

The thing with a man cave, or any kind of display, is that you are trading off some of the conditions that would help longetivity for the pleasure of viewing the items.

The kind of things you are talking about don't have huge monetary value so all you need to focus on is keeping them dry (safe from getting actually wet - normal humidity in the air is not a big deal) and out of direct sunlight. Then they should see you out and you will enjoy them as much as possible in the meantime.

Ball and jumper are cases of test on a tiny patch if you are keen to clean them up, and see what happens - we can't tell what kind of ink was used at the time so it's hard to predict results. I'd be inclined to live with their current condition and not risk the signatures - the general rule in conservation (like medicine) is to first do no harm.

Relax about the long term - all this stuff is only worth the fun you get from owning it, looking at it and showing it off. And a garage can be as safe as a room inside - often safer because you don't have heating and cooling messing with the conditions.

Anything paper-based will last best in consistent conditions with minimum humidity, cool but not cold temperature and minim exposure to light and handling (especially sweat and oil from skin).

Relax about the long term - all this stuff is only worth the fun you get from owning it, looking at it and showing it off. And a garage can be as safe as a room inside - often safer because you don't have heating and cooling messing with the conditions.

That is good to know for my garage, which I will get around to in a few years time (when I actually move in!)
My plan is that I have enough space in garage for two cars in front of each other, to cut off half of it, and build a wall, insulate and seal it. Then add another small wall using clear fibreglass or plastic (instead of glass as safer in earthquakes) around the corner for my home brewery equipment that is still visible to rest of the room also protecting the rest of garage from all the water and steam.

After all there will be a bar with 2-3 taps, couches, stools, big television on wall, to enjoy any sports, especially AFL from Wellington. My personal very own backyard pub :p Decorating it with some North Melbourne gear is no brainer especially signed jumpers.

Regarding light, perhaps putting on Safety Window film from Tap plastic can prevent damage from UV (that cause fading)

I was going to say your planning for an earthquake, then I noticed your in New Zealand..
Yeah heh, felt 5.3 the other day, fun!

I am relatively safe to be honest, good bedrock, location so on, house very sturdy to withstand 8 earthquakes on the Wellington Fault line which is under the city, away from us as we are between two fault lines, (American embassy employees lives up the road from us and they had USGS did the survey and declared this area the safest in wellington, go figure). The only time I am not safe is when I am in city if earthquake struck o_O

Meanwhile who knows, you may have to prepare for earthquakes from South East Melbourne :p

Here's what I've got floating around in my bedroom, for some ideas

Sorry for massive pics

2d11rp2.jpg
Obviously NOT married. :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Creating a North Man Cave

Remove this Banner Ad

Back