Crowds in 2006 - AFL vs NRL

Remove this Banner Ad

Sedition said:
I don't know about that - Swans are around the 30 000 paid members. I go to all the games and it appears to me sumtimes that its the members area that is sparse and the Hill is reasonaable full.

Apparently there are 22,000 paid up members in Sydney, about 9k in Melbourne (according to the Club memberships thread).

Just a point that the crowd v St.kilda was quite remarkable considering the conditions......and not all the members would have turned up, like all matches.....a good turnout.

fishmonger said:
You just don't get it do you genius.

Gawd, if some of these Melbourne nuff nuffs actually immersed themselves in NSW or QLD culture they'd realise that it is not about crowd figures at all.

You can't just sit in Melbourne and make estimates like this based simply on NRL crowd figures. :rolleyes:

It is a deep-rooted cultural thing that goes all the way from anti-VIC attitudes to workplace footy tipping.

We have club memberships. They have club pokies, cheerleaders and TV.

Chalk and Cheese.
My claim that there is only 50% of the rate of Support for RL in Sydney compared to that for AF in Melbourne is purely anecdotal, hence the "rough guess", this is based on newspaper reports talking to Sydney-siders etc and yes crowds does come into the equation. but I finshed by saying that despite all this. AFL people are more likely to turn out to the game than their RL counterparts and yes it's a cultural thing whether it's the cities culture or the codes culture? my guess it's a bit of both.
If I went on crowds alone than RL support in Sydney is about only 30% of the rate of support for AF in Melbourne.

fabulousphil said:
Pathetic compared to the AFL but in reality the NRL is one of the biggest average crowd pullers in the world.......... just shows you how big the AFL is in southern australia and pockets of Brisbane and Sydney.

I believe the AFL has higher average figures than english soccer...... piy the majority of the world has not heard about it....... although that may be changing

http://www.worldfootynews.com/

Take a squiz

AFL has no chance outside Australia.
But it will hang on to number one in australia for the next 5 years at least.

fishmonger said:
You just don't get it do you genius.

Gawd, if some of these Melbourne nuff nuffs actually immersed themselves in NSW or QLD culture they'd realise that it is not about crowd figures at all.

You can't just sit in Melbourne and make estimates like this based simply on NRL crowd figures. :rolleyes:

It is a deep-rooted cultural thing that goes all the way from anti-VIC attitudes to workplace footy tipping.

We have club memberships. They have club pokies, cheerleaders and TV.

Chalk and Cheese.

So what are you saying?

Vic and SA culture is about active support but NSW is about armchair zapping from NRL to the Playboy channel and back again til the tinnies run out?

gaelictiogar said:
So what are you saying?

Vic and SA culture is about active support but NSW is about armchair zapping from NRL to the Playboy channel and back again til the tinnies run out?

more or less yea, but thanks again for reviving a really really old thread. :rolleyes:

gaelictiogar said:
So what are you saying?

For League fans on a Saturday night:

5.30pm Live NRL game
7.30pm Live NRL game
9.30pm Delayed NRL game

For League fans on a Sunday afternoon:

2.30pm Live NRL game
4.00pm Delayed NRL game (ch 9)
6.00pm Delayed NRL game

When you tie this up with the fact that 49 of the top 50 shows on Fox in 2005 where NRL matches, it shows you that people would rather watch on the box.

This will be exacerbated next year when there will be a live game at 7.30pm on Friday nights, followed by a delayed game at 9.30pm.

Ronin said:
For League fans on a Saturday night:

5.30pm Live NRL game
7.30pm Live NRL game
9.30pm Delayed NRL game

For League fans on a Sunday afternoon:

2.30pm Live NRL game
4.00pm Delayed NRL game (ch 9)
6.00pm Delayed NRL game

When you tie this up with the fact that 49 of the top 50 shows on Fox in 2005 where NRL matches, it shows you that people would rather watch on the box.

This will be exacerbated next year when there will be a live game at 7.30pm on Friday nights, followed by a delayed game at 9.30pm.
Just goes to show how low brow Sincity really is if thugby rates so high - lucky they have the harbour to distract the tourists as the place hasnt got anything else going for it!

Well reference the title of this thread ie crowds .
I did a quick check .
The last for round attendances for NRL in Sydney(including the Gong) are :
52k , 40k , 54k (only one game outisde of Sydney) and 48k .
When you consider the Swans got 60k to Telstra and their average crowds match up well against the NRL , then topics like a second AFL team in Sydney are strengthened .

:)

whats got to be remembered about expansion teams is that nothing is better than the team itself for promotion. thats why its better to put teams in early, when there is awareness and a little interest, and use the team to fan those flames.

SEQ has been ready for a number of years for a team, i believe.

finders said:
Just goes to show how low brow Sincity really is if thugby rates so high - lucky they have the harbour to distract the tourists as the place hasnt got anything else going for it!

I guess Sydney falls down when compared to Dandenong.

fishmonger said:
I predict a big swing of fans of both AFL and NRL converting to both soccer and union in the next few years.
absolutely. traditional leaguies in the north are increasingly embracing soccer, union, rules.. while traditional rules fans in the south are increasingly embracing soccer, union, league. clearly, the future is multi-code following. the era of one-eyed one-code wonder football fans is rapidly drawing to a close.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

littleduck said:
absolutely. traditional leaguies in the north are increasingly embracing soccer, union, rules.. while traditional rules fans in the south are increasingly embracing soccer, union, league. clearly, the future is multi-code following. the era of one-eyed one-code wonder football fans is rapidly drawing to a close.

its still clearly one eyed afl in VIC, SA, WA, NT, TAS..

only NSW and QLD are in love with soccer and mugby

Drizt said:
its still clearly one eyed afl in VIC, SA, WA, NT, TAS..

only NSW and QLD are in love with soccer and mugby
the era of one-code following is ending everywhere (nowhere is immune, including VIC SA WA TAS), altho some regions are more advanced than others for various reasons.

zero said:
whats got to be remembered about expansion teams is that nothing is better than the team itself for promotion. thats why its better to put teams in early, when there is awareness and a little interest, and use the team to fan those flames.

SEQ has been ready for a number of years for a team, i believe.

Exactly .

cos789 said:
Funny , the idea for a second team in Sydney is to boost crowds .
Though attendances are heavily linked to onfield success , having two teams feed off of each other ,creating rivalries and blockbuster derbies endears the public to going to watch football every week .
This is easily seen by the effect of introducing the port sides in SA and WA .
People who follow the AFlL but not the Swans will take the opportunity to support a new team . Or there are people who will support the new team with memberships just to watch more football and only loosely support the new team .

Very unrealisitic in the next 20 years for that dream to come true.

ChrisFooty said:
Very unrealisitic in the next 20 years for that dream to come true.

I'm looking at all the indicators and there is good reasoned logic to be optimistic at the sustainablity of second teams in Brisbane and Sydney .
Through mutual benefit a second team in Sydney will boost crowds .
Though attendances are heavily linked to onfield success , having two teams feed off of each other ,creating rivalries and blockbuster derbies endears the public to going to watch football every week .
People who follow the AFL but not the Swans will take the opportunity to support a new team . Or there are people who will support the new team with memberships just to watch more football and only loosely support the new team .

:thumbsu:

dont forget, there is a huge cultural divide from one side of sydney to the other, with the westies hating the toffs and vice versa. it seems like the swans are the toff team

i think a working class team moving there would have no trouble whipping up a fair bit of a rivalry with the eastern sydney suburbs

There is some very interesting stuff happening out in the Blacktown District of Sydney.
It all centres on the Blacktown Olympic Park complex.
There will be two ovals for Aussie rules and Cricket to be finished by 2008 at the complex. Construction starts later this year. One oval will have a stand for 10,000 and the other oval will be for juniors and training. Will it be the base for a future 2nd team????
Meanwhile it looks like the AFL is laying the groundwork already according to the article below.
What we want for our great game is a fair share of the market in Sydney.
Read on
http://www.blacktownadvocate.com.au/article/2006/07/04/439_sports.html

There is some very interesting stuff happening out in the Blacktown District of Sydney.
It all centres on the Blacktown Olympic Park complex.
There will be two ovals for Aussie rules and Cricket to be finished by 2008 at the complex. Construction starts later this year. One oval will have a stand for 10,000 and the other oval will be for juniors and training. Will it be the base for a future 2nd team????
Meanwhile it looks like the AFL is laying the groundwork already according to the article below.
What we want for our great game is a fair share of the market in Sydney.
Read on
http://www.blacktownadvocate.com.au/article/2006/07/04/439_sports.html

Bump

Interesting last post from Kokoda, exactly 2 years ago

I'm looking at all the indicators and there is good reasoned logic to be optimistic at the sustainablity of second teams in Brisbane and Sydney .
Through mutual benefit a second team in Sydney will boost crowds .
People who follow the AFL but not the Swans will take the opportunity to support a new team . Or there are people who will support the new team with memberships just to watch more football and only loosely support the new team .

Great hindsight

Remove this Banner Ad

Crowds in 2006 - AFL vs NRL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back