Crows in SANFL Round 7

Remove this Banner Ad

RooDog said:
point one) as someone said in another thread Begley is in for Doughty and Jericho has gone to Melbourne with the team incase stiffy or skippy or someone else for that matter dont get up. But he will be on the first flight back in the morning so he can play in the league team tomorrow. Knights should play league and yes since the AFL team was introduced stiffy

point two)Angus Monfries is the youngest player to make his league debut at 16 years and 2 or 3 months from memory.

Point one) why Begley for Doughty please at least Begley is the lesser of two evils and if he (Doughty) is out injured he can not play to ******** me off, and if we are not playing well he can not make it worse, why not bring L Jericho in for Doughty play Ben Hart as that defender and Jericho could pinch hit up forward. Begley has already been tried this season give a kid ago.

Point Two )Didn’t Jarred Rivers or Jarred Yonnie (possibly that’s his brother) play for North Adelaide as a 15 year old? I am 99% certain that North Adelaide played a few 15 year olds during the Darrel Hart eras

crows98 said:
Point Two )Didn’t Jarred Rivers or Jarred Yonnie (possibly that’s his brother) play for North Adelaide as a 15 year old? I am 99% certain that North Adelaide played a few 15 year olds during the Darrel Hart eras

I'm pretty sure that Jared was 16 when he debuted for North after winning the senior premiership with South Augusta as a 15 year old. I'm also pretty sure that
Chris Robertson etc were also 16 when they played SANFL football.

doiler said:
I'm pretty sure that Jared was 16 when he debuted for North after winning the senior premiership with South Augusta as a 15 year old. I'm also pretty sure that
Chris Robertson etc were also 16 when they played SANFL football.

thats exactly right, i went to school with Jared in yr 11 and thats when he made his league debut at the age of 16 and yes there were a few 16yr olds playing league footy under Hart but none of them as young as Monfries was when he played his first game in 2003 from memory.

I find that pretty amazing.. playing seniors already Bryce Gibbs :) All the players who started playing seniors at a young age seem to be very good players.. eg. Monfries and Rivers. Hopefully he'll be as good or better then them! Playing seniors at and early age is a BIG BIG advantage IMO because it will give you some experince against adults. Very Exciting stuff for our footy club. Good to see Knights hopefully playing seniors.. I am concerned that Fergus is playing at FB. I still think his best position is CHF and that should be where he is playing right now. The positive about this though is that he will learn more defensive skills and he could be more of a versitille player. But still be are lacking that power forward and i think ferus can do that job.

crowsarethebest said:
I find that pretty amazing.. playing seniors already Bryce Gibbs :) All the players who started playing seniors at a young age seem to be very good players.. eg. Monfries and Rivers. Hopefully he'll be as good or better then them! Playing seniors at and early age is a BIG BIG advantage IMO because it will give you some experince against adults. Very Exciting stuff for our footy club. Good to see Knights hopefully playing seniors.. I am concerned that Fergus is playing at FB. I still think his best position is CHF and that should be where he is playing right now. The positive about this though is that he will learn more defensive skills and he could be more of a versitille player. But still be are lacking that power forward and i think ferus can do that job.

I think that is also an advantage of growing up in the country. Most of these good young players that grow up in the country get the opportunity to play against blokes twice their age and size which prepares them well for senior footy in the SANFL etc then the AFL.

Also just on Watts I thought that he was still out injured for this weekend, or is this not the case?

Gibbs is playing seniors but Schuback, Andrews and Hinge aren't! :rolleyes:

Oh well off one bandwagon onto another!

Good to see Knights looks like getting a league game this week.

jo172 said:
Gibbs is playing seniors but Schuback, Andrews and Hinge aren't! :rolleyes:

Oh well off one bandwagon onto another!

Good to see Knights looks like getting a league game this week.

Comparing Gibbs to Andrews and Schuback is like comparing a recently built Rolls Royce with a couple of pushbikes!! ;)

Knights has deserved his promotion with a series of good games in the twos. let's hope he gets a reasonable amount of playing time and performs.

macca23 said:
Knights has deserved his promotion with a series of good games in the twos. let's hope he gets a reasonable amount of playing time and performs.

Lets hope he has a quiet one this week before he performs. ;)

i didnt go through every post... just the ones on the first page and this one

Watts will not play full back for the Eagles, as Hargy is our full forward and he is far too big and strong for little Watts, Pedler will probably get that gig

cheering about Gibbs playing As.... not hard to get an A grade game he is only at Glenelg!

i heard last night Watts MAY travel as an Emergency to Melbourne but obviously that doesnt seem to be happening anymore?

RoosterLad said:
i didnt go through every post... just the ones on the first page and this one

Watts will not play full back for the Eagles, as Hargy is our full forward and he is far too big and strong for little Watts, Pedler will probably get that gig

cheering about Gibbs playing As.... not hard to get an A grade game he is only at Glenelg!

i heard last night Watts MAY travel as an Emergency to Melbourne but obviously that doesnt seem to be happening anymore?
Watts isnt named in the eagles side and didnt play against south whats up with him?

DaveW said:
Interesting... So Gibbs is in the seniors, what, 18 months before he's eligible to be drafted?

Just as a comparison, how long was Cooney playing seniors before he was drafted?

Similar age i think. Was playing seniors over a year before being eligble. Same with Ryan Griffen too. And Shannon Hurn now too. And Angus Monfries. Jared Rivers is another.

crowsarethebest said:
Fergus's playing development is a learning experience with NC saying he is quite happy for Fergus to be playing in defence.

Your right he will learn defensive skills at FB, will be lead to the ball, and IMO is a good move. At 19 plenty of time to get his body beaten up at CHF.

Wayne's-World said:
Fergus's playing development is a learning experience with NC saying he is quite happy for Fergus to be playing in defence.

Your right he will learn defensive skills at FB, will be lead to the ball, and IMO is a good move. At 19 plenty of time to get his body beaten up at CHF.
Well he had a stinker today but so did Bock, and to lesser extent Ladhams and Stevens. Chris Knights was by far the best performed crow in this match. He added a bit of spark and picked up around 20 touches and kicked 2.3

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stiffy_18 said:
Chris Knights was by far the best performed crow in this match. He added a bit of spark and picked up around 20 touches and kicked 2.3
*drools*

Anyway, I didn't realise Schuback had recovered from injury. Good to see him back out on the park because it would surely be his last chance to stay on our list this year. I would like to see him get that chance as I think he could be a decent little crumbing forward.

Centrals V West

Doggies reserves won by 10 goals. I got there at 3/4 time. Griffen was dominating the centre bounces and easily beating Lenny Clarke but wasnt doing much around the ground. he went off half way thru the 3rd and returned at the start of the 4th but did not look well and was taken off 8 mins in. He was hobbling and couldnt run. He was walking around the boundry OK tho.

West seniors were smashed by Centrals. The only people interested in Westies winning were the umps. I dont know how a wests player can kick the ball out on the full and then receive a free kick for an infringement nobody saw. there were some pearlers out there today.

Jericho didnt get too many touches, Wests midfield were hopeless and LJ was well held. He was moved to defence in the last 1/4.

Once again Rehn went the flood early (3 mins in first term) and West played ugly football all day. 4 goals to the Dogs, One to the Bloods in the first term. All over at half time after the Dogs kicked 9 goals to Wests 2.

I hope Rehn never coaches at AFC I hate what he is doing to Wests. I think he has lost the players.

Eggzoi said:
Any reports on how Bryce and The Count did today?
With Stiffy out, and hopefully Doughty dropped, could Knights and VB get a run?
Gibbs went well first game and it was pretty quick game kicked a goal early,played on the wing and didnt go far into defence or the foward line to often but his reading of the play as well as his disposal was very good.Messen was used mainly at ff while he is tall he is also skinny needs weights and plenty of them but hopefully we have learnt our lesson with Kruger dont rush the weights.Schuback played reserves but will play seniors next week seems ok threw himself into everything. If the rumours are true about Bodey then lets hope he can progress nicely as he can play a foward role of some sort.Would be surprised if Gibson does not play for the Norwood A side soon he is not as tall as Messen but boy is he solid.

Stiffy_18 said:
Well he had a stinker today but so did Bock, and to lesser extent Ladhams and Stevens. Chris Knights was by far the best performed crow in this match. He added a bit of spark and picked up around 20 touches and kicked 2.3

Correct on all counts Stiffy. You didn't mention Watts, but I was pretty pleased with his game today. He started in defence, but did his best work further afield when he appeared to be having runs on the ball. Hard to tell from the telly but that's what it looked like, and he is coming along nicely IMO, although not quite AFL ready just yet.

Not much to get excited about with Ladhams or Bock, and frankly I was bloody disappointed with Stevens. Slow as a wet week and appeared to be dead scared of having to try and kick more than 30 to 40 metres. Is he carrying some form of injury, because IMO he looked very ordinary.

Knights deserves a special mention. He's about 6'1" in the old language, and a left-footer that's quite well put together for his tender age of 18. He runs very similarly to Mattner with a slight forward tilt of the body when he's running, even at full tilt.

He started on the bench but made a huge impact when he came on and kicked 2.3 from his HFF. He reads the play beautifully, is well balanced, holds his feet well, and is a good thinker. He crumbed the loose ball beautifully and looks to have a real future in the game.

He could well be a bargain basement draftee as we got him with our 5th pick. I liked the look of him.

Stiffy_18 said:
Actually I thought Watts was average and he even got benched once. He was MUCH better against the Doggies.
:confused: Now we have 2 astute posters: one says Watts had a reasonably good game, the other says he had an average game?

What was it?

birdmanptr said:
Gibbs went well first game and it was pretty quick game kicked a goal early,played on the wing and didnt go far into defence or the foward line to often but his reading of the play as well as his disposal was very good.Messen was used mainly at ff while he is tall he is also skinny needs weights and plenty of them but hopefully we have learnt our lesson with Kruger dont rush the weights.Schuback played reserves but will play seniors next week seems ok threw himself into everything. If the rumours are true about Bodey then lets hope he can progress nicely as he can play a foward role of some sort.Would be surprised if Gibson does not play for the Norwood A side soon he is not as tall as Messen but boy is he solid.

What are the Bodey rumours???

Remove this Banner Ad

Crows in SANFL Round 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Back