Crows Members: Club call you asking for donation?

Remove this Banner Ad

Crows2008

Draftee
Jul 9, 2008
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hi fellow crows supporters/members,
Just wondering if anyone else has been cold called about their latest fundraising/donation drive? The short of it is they want a $200 donation/entry then you go in the run to win various prizes.

The Crows pride themselves on being a professional organisation, but i do think they could have been more strategic about this appeal.

Getting a phone call after hours requesting a donation was pretty dam rude in my opinion. Perhaps they should target older members who may be more inclined to have this sort of cash spare (i am under 25) or at very least send via mailout.

Don't get me wrong i'm all for supporting the club, i pay my silver membership each year, by a new season guernsey, and see at least 2 games interstate. The phone call last night just left me very sour and jaded.

Thoughts?

I just got one about an hour ago while at work, it came from a mobile number which I found very weird, so I called the club and confirmed it wasn't a scam. Very disappointing, just adds to my feelings from last off season we are now seen as nothing but mobile cash cows.

So is it a donation, or is it a lottery?

The person that rang me said it was a 'donation' but then when I rang the club to confirm it wasnt a scam the word lottery was mentioned.

I donate to the club each year with my membership fees, so how about a free raffle! :)

Hi fellow crows supporters/members,
Just wondering if anyone else has been cold called about their latest fundraising/donation drive? The short of it is they want a $200 donation/entry then you go in the run to win various prizes.

The Crows pride themselves on being a professional organisation, but i do think they could have been more strategic about this appeal.

Getting a phone call after hours requesting a donation was pretty dam rude in my opinion. Perhaps they should target older members who may be more inclined to have this sort of cash spare (i am under 25) or at very least send via mailout.

Don't get me wrong i'm all for supporting the club, i pay my silver membership each year, by a new season guernsey, and see at least 2 games interstate. The phone call last night just left me very sour and jaded.

Thoughts?

I got one of these phone calls too about a month ago, I just assumed it was a scam as it was from a mobile phone number.

I can't believe the club has the balls to harass "members" after hours for cash yet they are too gutless to address the real reason we are struggling financially which is the SANFL pillaging all the game day revenue. Get some balls Trigg or get out.

The person that rang me said it was a 'donation' but then when I rang the club to confirm it wasnt a scam the word lottery was mentioned.

I donate to the club each year with my membership fees, so how about a free raffle! :)

That's pretty ordinary; there is no way the Crows should be asking their members for 'donations' of any kind - unless it's for the Crows Foundation and charitable purposes.

The $200 figure made me think it might be one of those raffles where they are only 100 tickets sold and the winner gets $10,000.

Thank god, because I was a little worried after I gave them my number, there was cheering in the background, like the caller gave some sort of signal before she then informed me not to worry by the name that takes it out, not being the AFC but some financial company.

She used the word 'donation' to which I responded "so is it a raffle then, and is it something you want me to sell?" yes and no. It seems like its a donation to help with costs of the new centre maybe, some money into the Crows foundations and then we give you a raffle ticket which means you get something in return for the donation and potentially not making in tax deductable.

She mentioned two prizes, one of $10K cash and the other was a signed guernsey by Goody and NC.

Ringing the club today before potentially placing a stop on my card was on todays agenda. I try and support them as much as a I can but it seemed a little odd. They called me yesterday during office hours, on my mobile, that is not odd as that is the number they always use when they ring me to see if i will sell their raffle tickets.

Earlier this year the rang me and asked if I would like to sell raffle tickets. Can't remember how much they were though. The club should make the donation/lottery tick more affordable for the average supporter.

The Crows have an annual raffle with the major prize being a Toyota. It is run throughout the year by all supporter groups, and I suspect are probably sold at games/functions in SA. Tickets are only $2 (or $5 I can't remember now) each. Funds from that raffle are used for youth development.

Reckon it's a bit rich that they now have a $200 raffle. I love my Club, but there's no way I am paying that sort of money for ANY sort of raffle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon it's a bit rich that they now have a $200 raffle. I love my Club, but there's no way I am paying that sort of money for ANY sort of raffle.

Not uncommon Jen, I'd be very surprised if this was the first time they'd done it.

At least a few of the SANFL Clubs run raffles where the tickets are $100 each.

I think you should all boycott, I will buy the only ticket and win $10k!

I can't imagine many supporters are dropping $200 on a cold call raffle. We should organise a BF drive and try to score the winning ticket and split the profits :D

I'm kidding, of course. It does seem pretty ordinary. At the very least, if you're going to ring up supporters, have a couple of "donation" options available. Who has $200 in disposal income just sitting around to donate to their favourite club?

I'd have to think twice about donating $200 if the "we have a cure for cancer and just need a bit of extra cash to finish developing it" foundation knocked at my door, I just don't have that kind of money lying around. For the Crows? I love them, but they may as well be asking for $2000. It's way over the line of a sensible donation request.

She mentioned two prizes, one of $10K cash and the other was a signed guernsey by Goody and NC.
I wasn't listening right because I knew what was coming (the ask for a donation of $200)
But I thought it was
1st prize - $30,000
2nd prize - $10,000
3rd-5th prize - a guersey signed by Simon Goodwin and Neil Craig valued at $240

but only 1,000 tickets were being sold

so assuming all 1,000 got sold, and all prizes go, they'd make $200,000 and lose $45,720. Making for a final amount of +$154,280

probably would of made more money if they went for $20 tickets, could of gotten 1 out of most people, more overall profit I probably would of considered buying 5 at $20, but not any of the $200 for a ticket shit :thumbsdown:

I wasn't listening right because I knew what was coming (the ask for a donation of $200)
But I thought it was
1st prize - $30,000
2nd prize - $10,000
3rd-5th prize - a guersey signed by Simon Goodwin and Neil Craig valued at $240

but only 1,000 tickets were being sold

so assuming all 1,000 got sold, and all prizes go, they'd make $200,000 and lose $45,720. Making for a final amount of +$154,280

probably would of made more money if they went for $20 tickets, could of gotten 1 out of most people, more overall profit I probably would of considered buying 5 at $20, but not any of the $200 for a ticket shit :thumbsdown:

you're right, 30K, 10K, guernsey, I found the piece of paper i was scribbling on at the time.

Atleast we've solved our financial problems.

Squeeze more money out of the ever reducing number of loyal fans we have.

Brilliant. :)

P.s. I'll 'donate' money to the club when they give me voting rights in return for my membership. Until then, when we want money we should go to Daddy cap in hand.

Most of the time, as I understand it, these raffles are run by a third party who pay a licencing fee to use the AFC name. So they can run the line of 'Supporting the club'.

I'd prefer the club run a raffle themselves with all the proceeds going to the AFC.

In the past they have used third parties. Most were dodgy backdoor 'marketing companies' where employees worked on commission only and cash payments (literally a cut out of what you earned that particular day). These were often the raffle they also contact members to sell tickets for as well as the old home match raffles.

However, a couple of years ago, some of the home match raffle sellers got sprung rigging the raffle. As a result, the club introduced the home match lottery (the one where you pay $20 at the start of the season and a winner gets picked every home game), which the club runs themselves.

I got a phone call today also. At first they guy said hi my names blah from the Adelaide Football Club, how are you...how do you think the crows will fare next season? I was wrapped - I thought how good is this - the club rings you to get your opinion on our list & situation.. When he eventually told me that they are looking for a $200 donation, it made me weak at the knees and I nearly fell through my screen door...

It wasnt till after the phone call when I realised "hey he didnt actually care about my thoughts on Tambling, Jacobs and Tippett" !!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Crows Members: Club call you asking for donation?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back