Analysis Crows Player Ratings

Remove this Banner Ad

Seeing this is the champion data love-in page, Jordan Dawson is currently the 6th worst kick going into inside 50 in the competition (via SEN).

1722159552009.png

Pure Class Ratio: Josh Rachele (0.31)
Quantity Over Quality: Darcy Fogarty (-0.13)
1722159631072.png

Nothing against the poster but you know the system is hot garbage when Zac Taylor is rated our 7th worst today, and Laird is consistently amongst our highest rated.

Not really. A low disposal count and a sub 50% kicking efficiency usually don't mix too well in these ratings. Especially if you pair it with really bad score/xscore rating (as these ratings really punish missing what it deems as easy shots at goal, and Taylor recorded at -6.1), and not getting involved in scoring chains (Taylor had 0 GA/1 SI/0 SL).

Equally, Laird being rated at top 100 player levels (currently 61st) isn't surprising, or indicative of a poor rating system. The opposite really as it should be rewarding guys who win a lot of ball and use it safely (which Laird does as he's going at 27.1 disposals/73.7% efficiency). You worry when these guys end up in the top 20 or so, seeing it might be overselling the whole ball winning angle, but a 60ish rating seems fair seeing you have to rate ball winning highly to even have a remotely effective measure.

1723369062313.png

Pure Class Ratio: Darcy Fogarty (0.35)
Quantity Over Quality: Nick Murray (-0.02)
1723369104463.png

I cant believe English rated higher than ROB :oops:

I thought Lachie Sholl's touches had a higher value than the ratings gave him

Hitouts have virtually no correlation with winning, so they don't contribute much to most ranking systems

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I cant believe English rated higher than ROB :oops:

I thought Lachie Sholl's touches had a higher value than the ratings gave him
They were the two anomalies that stood out to me also - thought both had much greater impact than that.

I love the Wheelo site and thought it was worth sharing this view using the same AFL ratings points. This shows not only the ratings points that all players actually scored but also plots what they were predicted to score (i.e. Bont is the best player and he had the highest (furthest to the right) expected score).

Take a look at the two Bulldogs players who were the furthest below the line indicating that they underperformed the most. They were Weightman and Naughton so I reckon our two defenders (Bond and whoever was on Naughton) deserve plaudits for how well they locked down on two potential matchwinners.

1723426137793.png

I’d assume Rob had a heap of those given he had a heap of to advantage ones
It depends where they are too. The total change in points depends on how much the hit out changed the situation of the game.

(Quoting from memory, I can't remember the article I read this in. And these formulas generally aren't public)

A Hit out to advantage gives 2/3 of the credit to the ruck, and 1/3 to the rover. Sharked taps give 1/3 to the ruck as a negative, and 2/3 to the rover.

It depends where they are too. The total change in points depends on how much the hit out changed the situation of the game.

(Quoting from memory, I can't remember the article I read this in. And these formulas generally aren't public)

A Hit out to advantage gives 2/3 of the credit to the ruck, and 1/3 to the rover. Sharked taps give 1/3 to the ruck as a negative, and 2/3 to the rover.
Unbelievable how it all gets recorded

Unbelievable how it all gets recorded
Most of the hard work is in the location. Which is all thanks to GPS.

There is (or at least used to be) also a commentary feed that is purely statistics. The intro to the book "Footballistics" by James Coventry interweaves the transcript of the Channel 7 call of the 2015 AFL grand final with the Champion Data one in a way that I think it pretty neat.

1724512381851.png

Pure Class Ratio: James Borlase (0.51)
Quantity Over Quality: Billy Dowling (0.03)
1724512566402.png

Congratulations to Izak Rankine. The number 1 player rankings player when he can get on the field

His average was so far ahead that even scoring him 0.0 for the games he missed due to suspension, he only just finishes 2nd to Dawson by ~0.25

Incidentally, the dodgy "Callum Chambers Award" formula actually did a good job this year.

round 14 vs Sydney Swans
-------------------------
Positive Anomaly: Joel Amartey - 28.30 (3.30 std dev. above average 6.12)

View attachment 2090393

Pure Class Ratio: James Borlase (0.51)
Quantity Over Quality: Billy Dowling (0.03)
View attachment 2090395

Congratulations to Izak Rankine. The number 1 player rankings player when he can get on the field

His average was so far ahead that even scoring him 0.0 for the games he missed due to suspension, he only just finishes 2nd to Dawson by ~0.25
thanks for your fine service my G

With Rory Sloane retiring, here's how he compared to his fellow Crows midfielders.

1725198325140.png

From 23-26 he was in the top 10 players in the league. Easily our best midfielder post Danger.

1725199543339.png

Not everyone can be Danger, unfortunate he left us for his peak from 25.

1725199717781.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Crows Player Ratings

Remove this Banner Ad

Back