ODI Cummins the new ODI captain

Remove this Banner Ad

You absolutely can choose which issues you want to be passionate and outspoken about. You have to do this, or it loses all impact and in our current disgraceful "us vs them" discourse of politics and you're immediately written off as a "woke lefty."

What position do you want him to take in regards to China? How is it related to his (alleged) stance on Alinta? (Which we should note he's denied involvement in.)

God I think it's hilarious... If we don't speak out against places like fast food giants we aren't militant enough, but when we do speak out against them we're annoying militant vegans who want to tell others how to win.

It's always no-win for the vegans unfortunately :(
Never said anything against Zampa being a Vegan. I have no issues with vegans. Good on them if that's the way they want to live their life. But don't tell me what I can and cant eat & how I should live my life.

The issue is the players picking and choosing just what suits them to whinge about. Zampa, being a Vegan never said anything about KFC being a sponsor so why is he now sticking his head up?

It is 100% hypocrisy that Cummins had no issues playing on the IPL for the last 5 years despite the fact that India is the 3rd largest polluter on the earth. He didnt raise any issues then when he was collecting his million dollar contract payments so why now is he taking the stance that he has? Has he 'seen the light'?

The Australian Netball team don't want Rinehart's logo on their uniforms ($15 million sponsorship) because of what Lang Hancock said 40 years ago (which was disgraceful). I cans see their point somewhat however do they realise that Rinehart pays millions in royalties & taxes which of course go the the WA and Federal Governments - which in turn helps the Federal Government pay the $20 billion per annum to assist Indigenous people in Australia.

I don’t think Cummins has ever offered an opinion on how you or I should live.

Pretty sure he has

He’s making a stand on fossil fuels - that he doesn’t believe that is something that is appropriate

That’s a reasonable position to take - if you have considerable changes in your life to be live that change yourself

Khawaja doesn’t support alcohol sponsorship - that too would be hypocritical if he got on the piss with the boys

As it was he was happy to miss out on a celebratory photo because alcohol was involved - he was prepared to make a sacrifice and live his values

Cummins flies all around the world crating more carbon than the vast majority - and then wants to take a stand on carbon emissions?

Spare me

Give up international cricket, downsize your house, sell your fossil fuel car - then he might be in a position to discuss it

Otherwise like many - he’s a shallow virtue signaller

All sizzle, no sausage

Never said anything against Zampa being a Vegan. I have no issues with vegans. Good on them if that's the way they want to live their life. But don't tell me what I can and cant eat & how I should live my life.

The issue is the players picking and choosing just what suits them to whinge about. Zampa, being a Vegan never said anything about KFC being a sponsor so why is he now sticking his head up?

It is 100% hypocrisy that Cummins had no issues playing on the IPL for the last 5 years despite the fact that India is the 3rd largest polluter on the earth. He didnt raise any issues then when he was collecting his million dollar contract payments so why now is he taking the stance that he has? Has he 'seen the light'?

The Australian Netball team don't want Rinehart's logo on their uniforms ($15 million sponsorship) because of what Lang Hancock said 40 years ago (which was disgraceful). I cans see their point somewhat however do they realise that Rinehart pays millions in royalties & taxes which of course go the the WA and Federal Governments - which in turn helps the Federal Government pay the $20 billion per annum to assist Indigenous people in Australia.

I think people underestimate how hard it is to be an activist. If it was as simple as just saying "we should ban fossil fuel companies trying to sportswash themselves" then everyone would do it. But it's not easy, there's a whole bunch of things that you have to weigh up.

I'm vegan, I obviously have a view on people's selfishness and barbarism - but it's something I rarely take on from the perspective of an activist. It apparently makes me a "bad vegan", but it's exhausting, and your chances of changing anyones mind are remote.

Pretty sure he has

He’s making a stand on fossil fuels - that he doesn’t believe that is something that is appropriate

That’s a reasonable position to take - if you have considerable changes in your life to be live that change yourself

Khawaja doesn’t support alcohol sponsorship - that too would be hypocritical if he got on the piss with the boys

As it was he was happy to miss out on a celebratory photo because alcohol was involved - he was prepared to make a sacrifice and live his values

Cummins flies all around the world crating more carbon than the vast majority - and then wants to take a stand on carbon emissions?

Spare me

Give up international cricket, downsize your house, sell your fossil fuel car - then he might be in a position to discuss it

Otherwise like many - he’s a shallow virtue signaller

All sizzle, no sausage
You used the key word:

"Sacrifice".

That's all there is to it. If you ask people to make a sacrifice you had better be making an even bigger sacrifice yourself.

Telling coal workers to stop feeding their families when you won't even sacrifice a first-class seat on a plane? You are, quite frankly, the epitome of disgusting.

This whole saga is yet another dumbfounding reminder of how stupid this country can be.

Imagine simping for a billion dollar company. Now imagine thousands of people sipping for a billion dollar company.

Genuinely laughable. Like, get a life lol.

Whilst recognizing his ability to bowl, I often suspected Cummins wasn't particularly bright. My suspicions have been realised. He's just another virtue signaling do-gooder who can talk the talk but refuse to walk the walk. If he feels so strongly about it, then he must resign from all international cricket immediately. But he won't, guts of a garfish.

Last edited:
Not smart by Cummins. Just going to be more scrutiny on his own performance and his team now.

Also even if you don't like the company, really bad look for the partnership to end like this if Alinta did stick with CA after sandpaper gate. Don't really think Australian Cricket is in a position to be that picky with sponsorship money.

Not smart by Cummins. Just going to be more scrutiny on his own performance and his team now.

Also even if you don't like the company, really bad look for the partnership to end like this if Alinta did stick with CA after sandpaper gate. Don't really think Australian Cricket is in a position to be that picky with sponsorship money.

Really doubt there is anywhere near enough companies in the world that are good enough for the woke brigade and have enough money they want to spend on sports sponsorship.

So it’s a choice between your sport surviving and thriving or dying off. It’s interesting these athletes choosing the latter.

Really doubt there is anywhere near enough companies in the world that are good enough for the woke brigade and have enough money they want to spend on sports sponsorship.

So it’s a choice between your sport surviving and thriving or dying off. It’s interesting these athletes choosing the latter.

Atlassian is run by a very outspoken "do what I say" type who wants to change the world, but backed Putin in the Ukraine war until 2 weeks ago.

And even then probably only changed his view because his share price halved over the last year.

So much conservative anger in this thread. Glad I left that mental illness behind in my early 20's. :)

Choose peace, love, sex, drugs and rock n roll. You'll be much happier for it. I promise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not so much anger being displayed. Just bemusement at Cummins self indulgent hypocrisy.

Feigning concern at carbon emissions, yet happy to contribute by flying all around the world. Not to speak of playing in the IPL for the past 5 years, despite India being one of the worst polluters on this planet.

Though I suppose that’s ok, because he’s making a pretty tidy quid, so that doesn’t really count does it? But then again that’s par for the course with most virtue signallers like Paddy, Harry, Meaghan, many “celebrities”, etc.

Do as I say, not as I do.

Last edited:
Whilst recognizing his ability to bowl, I often suspected Cummins wasn't particularly bright. My suspicions have been realised. He's just another virtue signaling do-gooder who can talk the talk but refuse to walk the walk. If he feels so strongly about it, then he must resign from all international cricket immediately. But he won't, guts of a garfish.
ah the "he doesn't agree with me so he must lack intelligence" argument. The go to tool of the arrogant & shallow

This whole saga is yet another dumbfounding reminder of how stupid this country can be.

Imagine simping for a billion dollar company. Now imagine thousands of people sipping for a billion dollar company.

Genuinely laughable. Like, get a life lol.
Millions of people have shares in billion dollar companies. Millions of people have jobs in billion dollar companies.

Imagine being such a raving imbecile that you didn't understand this.

So much conservative anger in this thread. Glad I left that mental illness behind in my early 20's. :)

Choose peace, love, sex, drugs and rock n roll. You'll be much happier for it. I promise.
That's funny as leftists are vastly more likely to be on antidepressants and they're far more likely to be lonely and miserable.

So you've got the drugs part right. Not so much the rest.

That's funny as leftists are vastly more likely to be on antidepressants and they're far more likely to be lonely and miserable.

So you've got the drugs part right. Not so much the rest.
Mood What GIF by NBC

No issue with players taking a stand against what they see as an unethical sponsor, as long as they are willing to take the hit to their own back pocket.

Love the call that India is a big source of carbon emissions but Cummins hasn't yet cancelled an IPL contract due to his ethical concerns.

No issue with players taking a stand against what they see as an unethical sponsor, as long as they are willing to take the hit to their own back pocket.

Love the call that India is a big source of carbon emissions but Cummins hasn't yet cancelled an IPL contract due to his ethical concerns.
It's a pretty meaningless whataboutist argument.

Sure, India is a big source of carbon emissions. But per capita, they're not even one-eighth of Australia.

They need to improve, but it's a pretty weak counterargument against a very reasonable POV from Cummins.

Remove this Banner Ad

ODI Cummins the new ODI captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Back