Cyril Rioli

Should Cyril Play Next Week

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Carried to the Grand Final because he's Cyril. As far as I am concerned he is the least deserving player out there.

I know Johnson was different because he had match fitness but carried an injury in, in '11. Chapman burnt everyone in '08. Ottens missed 19 games in '11. You take the good with the bad.

Rioli is no longer injured, he'd just be lacking match fitness. Taking everything into consideration, if they need a specific role performed, is he the best they have available to play that role?

Box Hill got royally screwed by the hawks on the weekend, not a good look.

For all intents and purposes, they're the Hawthorn Reserves. I mean, does anyone support Box Hill that doesn't support Hawthorn, and really feel like the AFL side "screwed" the VFL side?

Last edited:
For all intents and purposes, they're the Hawthorn Reserves. I mean, does anyone support Box Hill that doesn't support Hawthorn, and really feeling like the AFL side "screwed" the VFL side?

I personally couldn't care less. Box Hill is Hawthorn with a sprinkling of VFL players topping up! If we win this week and Junior has an impact then Hawk supporters are happy.

I'm surprised the poll is so even. I realise Cyril is a unique talent, but playing him comes with an enormous risk. Is his benefit worth that much more than the man he forces out? I'd say no.

Wonder what the Swans are planning for.

If he can perform at his best then I would love him to play. But I've got concerns.

Easy to forget how much this guy can impact a game, and the gushing commentary causes a lot of people to go the other way and look for the worst in him.

Clarkson has been ultra conservative all year (and last year). For me it would worry me a bit to see him bring in a guy with such little match fitness. Fine during the year (even important games) because it's a matter of seeing if younger players can take the load - but when it's a grand final I would really struggle.

If the most successful VFL side wasn't chosen, then yes, the AFL side screwed the VFL side. They lose did they? With cyril?

Good luck picking him for Saturday. Those 08 goggles are powerful as shit.

For all intents and purposes, they're the Hawthorn Reserves. I mean, does anyone support Box Hill that doesn't support Hawthorn, and really feeling like the AFL side "screwed" the VFL side?

Vince didn't screw Bret.....

Bret screwed Bret

wrestling reference ftw

Just seemed like they could have at least managed Cyril's minutes earlier and have him play a close last qtr. would have been better preparation IMO and maybe helped box hill get over the line

I know Johnson was different because he had match fitness but carried an injury in, in '11. Chapman burnt everyone in '08. Ottens missed 19 games in '11. You take the good with the bad.

Rioli is no longer injured, he'd just be lacking match fitness. Taking everything into consideration, if they need a specific role performed, is he the best they have available to play that role?
Stevie in 09? Stokes in 08?

Some of you lot are crazy. Admittedly I didn't see the first half yesterday but he did two things in the third that led directly to goals and gave Box Hill momentum.
This is why he will play, he may be unfit but leave him forward and he will still make something happen. It also means one of Shaw or Malceski will have to be more defensive

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, plenty of people.

Stevie in 09? Stokes in 08?

Luckily Stevie in '09 was still able to manage to kick the ball laterally into Gaz in the centre which was the one that Scarlett toe poked to Gaz for the winning goal.

Did bugger all else all game but when a bit of skill and the composure to execute was needed, he came up with it in spades.

A moment or two or three from Cyril may be the difference.

If they play Cyril they will lose.

1. Could not compete against inferiors.
2. Mental damage from having to sit on the bench for a whole quarter while watching his mates get beaten in a Grand Final which means the world to them.

You know Cyril personally? For all you know, he might be the type of player where the badder the situation is, the more determined he is to get in there and try to turn it his team's way.

I'm surprised the poll is so even. I realise Cyril is a unique talent, but playing him comes with an enormous risk. Is his benefit worth that much more than the man he forces out? I'd say no.

Swans would be planning for Hawthorn's best side. Which means Cyril in.

Nothing ventured nothing gained I guess. ATM I feel it's Sydney's game to lose and we'd have to take the punt to find a victory. It's a massive risk either way to leave him out or put him in.

If the most successful VFL side wasn't chosen, then yes, the AFL side screwed the VFL side. They lose did they? With cyril?

Good luck picking him for Saturday. Those 08 goggles are powerful as shit.

Enjoy the next decade in the wilderness. I expect the 'master coach' Ross Lyon to jump ship after 2015, expect him to take up the reigns at the Gold Coast or another team ready to compete at the top. Ross Lyon would struggle to develop grass in the middle of Spring.

I hope we see Cyril, I think you have to roll the dice, I know we talk about structures and people playing a role but Cyril adds some serious X factor, work him over at training today and if he survives then he plays.

I feel gutted for whoever misses out but you gotta play your best players.

I love my footy team.

Cyril will play and his heart will find a way to help us win.

Heart will win this game. He has it in spades ... He'll get picked ...
GO HEART!
Ma-Ti.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Cyril Rioli

Back