D-Day for Didaka

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: R.I.P Didaka

RIP. Quality poster.

Condolences to all who knew him.

*edit, after having a bit of a read through his thread, I came across this.

You know probably for the first time I lost it today. I guess you can only hold it in for so long. Today was the day a lot of it came out.

I guess it's all new to me as well, and no matter how brave you try to be, how hard you fight it, you can't hold on forever.

My life in reality has been taken away from me right now and it may only get harder I guess, I suppose it's all about how you make up for it when all is said and done.

In reality it's just something you can't escape no matter how hard you try, no matter how many good people you surround yourself with the fact is you're not normal anymore and that's something I have to come to terms with and what a lot of people in my shoes have had to come to terms with.

When an ornchologist sits across the room from you when you're only 25 and tells you your fertility will be effected by the chemotherapy, now that's when things start to hit you.

I took a lot of it out on footy during this week. Footy is probably the one thing I love as much as my family and friends, and **** I wanted to win so bad last Saturday. It was more than any other game, not so much just for a win itself, but to say I enjoyed that because there hasn't been a lot of enjoyable times lately. It was my first game back. The day I felt a little bit normal again.

There's a lot to take out of football, and I just hope that anyone else in my position has something like this to help with a long hard fight, full of ups and downs.

All you have to do is look at some of the more inspirational acts in history and they will teach you lessons not only about football, but life.

I look at people like Ramanauskas and how he has overcome illness on numerous occasions just to do what he loves.

To me, although it's a completely different situation Jason McCartney and his battle for the game shows how hard a human is willing to work to do what he loves just one more time.

I love football, there's probably people on BF that love it more, there are probably people on this thread that love it more, but I would do anything to just one more time get out on the field, I wouldn't care if it was the MCG, or Tootgarook oval, just to prove to myself, and only myself that I can do it again. Just 1 game. Like McCartney I would train for 6 months for that 1 game alone, I would train for 2 years if I had to, but it is just something I need to do. I got struck down when I was only 22 with injuries and forced to sit out since, but I would sell my soul to just play 4 more quarters of the game, whether it was senior footy, reserves footy or D4 in the amateurs.

Our captain himself knows what footy means to me, and make no mistake when I say, even though I was sitting in a hospital bed, hardly being able to move, a cathater in my weiner and high as a kite on morphene, the day our captain came to visit me was one of the greatest days in my life.

I don't remember a lot about the week I was in hospital, but I remember every minute that Scott was by my bed. He is a super bloke, and I have to thank my dad for organizing it for me.

If I could give advice to anyone who is going through an illness, depression, anything that can bring forth horrible, sad time, it would be to realise that you're not superman, you're only human, and that's as far as it goes. Be human, don't try to be any more.

I am proud of myself, i'm very proud. I've showed courage, and a willingness to live a better life so far. I hate cancer, I ****ing hate it so much, but one thing it will do is make me a better person. I'm not going to thank it, but I'm going to remember it. When things get hard I will remember how hard they can be.

I'm going to the footy tomorrow night. I'll be going very low key, i'll distance myself from most people, I'll go with my dad and my girlfriend and that's it. I probably won't recognise anyone there, I won't speak to anyone there, and I don't really intend to because I don't feel like it at the moment, but while I'm there I will know that i'm apart of something, apart of something very special to me, whether it's the atmosphere, the cold wintery air, the $5 meat pies, or the blokes on the field busting their guts. All I know is that they are my favourite days, and life is worth living when you're doing the things you love to do no matter how hard you're fighting to live a healthy life.

I hope nobody minds me linking it back here because it is a magnificent post.

Condolences to the family and friends. The Army has lost a true soldier and the team did Didaka proud and left him with enduring memories of a flag. RIP

So tragic, cancer can be a bastard like that.

He was a true magpie man, witty and very knowledgable.

RIP didaka.

WOW! My heart dropped when I saw this thread title.

Like many here I have followed Didaka's journey and was continuously amazed and inspired by his candid postings. At times full of hope for the future, and at others gutted when he seemed to cop yet another undeserved set back.

I didn't know Didaka personally, but the memory of an extremely brave and humble young man taken way too soon will stay with me for a very long time.

RIP champ.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

:( :(:( Way to young to leave us, I enjoyed reading his posts when I first joined big footy and loved his view on footy and Collingwood. I did not see this coming at all, its a terrible feeling to lose one of our kind. I am so happy he got to see the Pies win the flag last year, it would have put a smile and taken his mind off things in what would have been a real tough time for him. My thoughts are with his family, friends and his girlfriend as they go through this very rough patch in their lives.

R.I.P Brent/Didak

When i saw this thread I was too scared to click on it and when I did my worst fears were confirmed.

What an inspirational guy. I'm so happy the Pies won a flag for him. So young, it just doesn't seem fair, he had so much life to experience.

A fighter till the end.

RIP Brent.

Very sad to hear. Read about didaka condition. I went through a very similar thing. Some of us make it and some us dont unfortunately. In the end all you can do is fight to the very end and you did that. Top poster and top bloke

R.I.P

I don't think I can remember one post from him, but reading through the other thread just now I wish I had of come across him before. What an awesome outlook on life he had, when everything in his life was turned upside down. He decided to fight and live every day as if it was his last.

With so many young people today just wasting their lives and throwing them down the toilet, he showed that you can take a bad situation and make the most of it.

The term "inspirational" is thrown around so often on the football field that it tends to lose all meaning. Guys like Didaka show you the true meaning of the word.

Having just lost an uncle to cancer recently, I saw in him the way to fight it. He decided to quit his job and when he could he travelled around the world doing some amazing things.

Didaka apparently tried to enjoy every minute he had left, whilst not always being able to do what he wanted to do. That's all you could ever ask from someone, to at least try and never give up.

God speed mate, you have touched so many people on this forum that you couldn't imagine. That is something for his family to be proud of.:thumbsu:

This is very sad, I wasn't aware of his illness until I read of his passing.
He was truly an inspiration, I read all the pages of this thread and to be honest it brought a tear to my eye.
So glad he got to see the pies win the flag.
RIP

Just revisited this thread after reading a few posts from Didaka.

I then went outside breathed some fresh air and spent some time living in the moment. Life is short, unforgiving and at times unfair. Tell everyone in your family how much you love them and always work towards everything you love.

RIP Didaka, thanks for the moments and reality checks.

Andy

I just opened BF for the first time in ages to see this heart-scalding news. But all Didaka's trials are at last over. We should be consoled by the fact that he must have had the grace of a good death with Emma faithful to the end, and the Pies at the peak of their powers.

And yes, Seldom Seen Kid - your Irish blessing will go with him; his soul will indeed be at the right hand of the Footy Gods, and he'll be urging them to keep favouring Collingwood.

We'll face this blow side by side lads, and keep good thoughts of Didaka whose honesty and courage elevated this board to something more than a place of casual interchanges. We will not soon see his like again.:(

Very sad news. I remember some of his posts but I had no idea he was so ill. The pies flag would of brought him so much joy, at least he got to see that.
R.I.P

Remove this Banner Ad

D-Day for Didaka

Remove this Banner Ad

Back