• South Melbourne

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yarra Valley

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been watching/reading with interest the posts on here for some time, and while most of it is light-hearted drivel, I feel compelled to respond to you (and some of your cronies), SurftheWorld. Firstly, you and your "clique" do not own this PUBLIC forum, anyone and everyone is entitled to an opinion, if YOU don't like it, then YOU go away. Secondly, your
derogatory comments on people who sweep the rooms and take down the goal post pads is an utter disgrace, and shows you have little or no understanding of the words "FOOTBALL CLUB". Improvement is needed by you.....[/quote]

Yeah true, agree after re-reading my original post and apolgise if I have offended anyone, next time I will use a different analogy. It was not meant to de-value the contribution those boys do for the club, we love them and they know that. I was more so pointing out that someone directly bagging a ressies coach from a public forum is gutless.

On your first point, DOGTOWN's drivel was not light hearted dont you think?

Well I think it demonstrates that I try to do everything I can for my club to win, why try to develop a team if you dont play to win??? I'm afraid its VAFA football buddy, not AFL. With the turn over of players and poaching of players to paying leagues, when do you find the time to develop a playing list that changes as frequent as the weather. When do you switch off the Development button and press play to win button? Tell me any player in any team that doesnt want to play to win, ressies or seniors. A ressies flag is a very proud contribution to any clubs back wall.

When you've got the best Junior Club in Victoria (450 kids and reigning U17 YVJFL Premiers) behind you, development isn't a 'button' on which you switch on and off, it's more of a modus operandi, 'buddy'.

You do what you have to do to get these kids up and playing good Senior football. If that means playing a kid who could one day play seniors in a key position in the Reserves ahead of someone who at this stage may be a better footballer, but whose senior playing days are behind them, then I'd play the kid every time.

When you've got the best Junior Club in Victoria (450 kids and reigning U17 YVJFL Premiers) behind you, development isn't a 'button' on which you switch on and off, it's more of a modus operandi, 'buddy'.

Seeing as though you want to turn it into a pi55ing comp, I would think St Mary's is a better club if your basing your juniors success on club numbers (St Mary's has a staggering 26 junior teams with your 17) but don’t get me wrong, you are the one claiming to be the best junior club in Victoria... but I think in reality you are a club in a highly populated area that can manage to fill that many teams, I'd put money on it that a junior team form the VCFL or an APS would easily challenge that theory that you’re the best Vic club. I've been defending the reds and their senior management, sounds like you are an upset parent of one of those U17 boys trying to step up into senior footy but can’t manage to make it onto the team sheet that those fat old washed up senior players are occupying...."buddy".

You do what you have to do to get these kids up and playing good Senior football. If that means playing a kid who could one day play seniors in a key position in the Reserves ahead of someone who at this stage may be a better footballer, but whose senior playing days are behind them, then I'd play the kid every time.
[/COLOR]

Let’s look at development at Old Essendon, Herald Sun shield winners last year, runners up the previous year, finalist the year before and runners up the year before that. Herald sun shield is the most prestigious award for all of junior footy combined, yet their 19 team has struggled year on year, even to the point where 3 years ago they folder mid season. Reason= All the school boys went to play for local clubs, get some cash, help out on those rising bourbon and coke prices at boutique while trying to juggle the uni life. Then once they have finished having a play around and coping a few in the packs, they head back to the Old boys. My point: Its rare these days to hold onto a player from junior footy all the way through into senior footy and beyond. Development is something you do with those blokes who play 19s who are good enough to play senior footy, but at the end of the day, ask them and they would tell you they are happy playing 19s where they don’t get injured every week. Development does exist to some degree, but I think you are either a Carlton supporter or a Richmond supporter where the only thing you have had on your brain for the last 8 years is "development".

Anyway, you have wasted to much of my time aready. Goodluck to Reds, Frase has my respect.

If this is a pi__ing competition, you may want to check your prostate.

And speaking of wasting time, thanks for wasting mine with the half-arsed football sociology lesson. I had not fully appreciated the devastating effect that Rudd's alcopop tax would have on the Amateurs.

If you weren't so unappreciative, I'd be happy to regale you of the parallels of the shift in geopolitics with the emergence of Asia and their approach to foreign affairs with the changing dynamics of the VAFA with the Old Boy Clubs and those District Clubs based in upwardly mobile suburbs.

Long live the old hack forward whose senior playing days are behind him :D

Long live the old hack forward whose senior playing days are behind him :D

Don't subscribe to the 'hack' theory, far from it. However I do think there's some really good kids like Lee and Dawson-Smith (who may not yet be as good as the recklessly described 'hacks'), who should be given the opportunity to develop in a key position spot so as they can push for the seniors - with the support and encouragement from the older players.

In looking at the team that played on the weekend, NOB's had at least 5 of there top 10 players out so it seems they were undermanned. Cant take anything away from a good win by Mentone though.

Any word from the NOB's boys when these blokes will be back (Brady, Cassell, Kweon, Barker, Flanders. these names wernt on the list to play on saturday on the vafa website)

When you look back at the games on the VAFA website, there are more than just those 5 players out. Brady, Keown, Barker and Flanders should be back very soon. The others will be back over the next 2 weeks. Its a big month coming up for the NOBS boys.
I wouldnt write them off!

Dogtown,

I am somewhat mystified by this unprovoked posting, but will do my best to answer it without any recourse to personal attacks. Frankly, its a bit hard given I have no-idea of the individuals who have had a crack, but here goes.

As a reserves coach, my role is to continually provide the senior team with as many players who are capable of playing seniors on any given day, at any given time. Whether they are 20, 24, 27, 33, or 36 is not my main concern, but the younger they are, the better. There's little doubt that VAFA clubs move forward quicker when a group of players graduate together through juniors and bring each other along, continuing to enjoy playing footy with their mates. That is certainly the case with the past 2 x U19 teams, which made the GF in 2006 and won the flag in 2007.

The Club XVIII has had only 2 players from our 2007 U19 premiership side playing in it for any length of time, and in both cases they were starting their seasons very late and needed game time before coming up to the reserves. One is now playing key position in the 2nds, and the other has been advised (after playing a grand total of 3 club XVIII matches for the year) he will most likely play in the reserves this week. Interestingly, I'm losing 4 good players under 22 to pre-planned semester break holidays in the next couple of weeks, whilst the more mature lads are 'holding the fort'. So sometimes it's tough to play all the kids in the key slots when they're not available every single week. Having said that, they're getting a better run in the prime positions than the older crew, and that's the way it should be.

Interestingly, only 7 regular Reds reserve players in 2007 have been regular Reds reserve players in 2008. In almost all cases, those who have moved on/retired have been replaced by far younger players. My starting backline on the weekend had 5 kids under 21. When it became apparent that they weren't going to be particularly busy, then I sent a couple of veterans (including myself) into the defence and brought the young fellas forward onto the ball and into the forward line.

On the weekend just past, the coaching staff decided to play two fellas in the reserves for the 1st games for a long time, one who is nearing and one who is over 30. However, they are seasoned quality players who are very likely to play senior footy in the next couple of weeks, and that may be the difference between knocking off Souths or OMs, or falling short.

In the end, the short term goal of earning immediate promotion must be balanced against the long term goal of rising further up the grades. I'm comfortable that we're striking the right balance here.

If any player has an issue with the way they're being coached/developed at the Reds, then they have an opportunity at the end of each and every reserves game to put it in their match assessment / feedback form (which is then collated, and I write a match review from the players' data). I doubt many other D1 clubs go to that length. I have had many one-on-ones with my players, both young and old, and I am yet to hear of a player who is dis-satisfied with the manner in which they're being coached or developed. The odd request to be played in a particular position has without fail been accomodated during the following week's game.

I know the young players at Fitzroy have a lot to be optimistic about - its exciting times ahead for all concerned. Frankly Dogtown, I have no idea what you're talking about. It's good to know we have at least one thing in common.

Cheers

Frase

Dogtown,

I am somewhat mystified by this unprovoked posting, but will do my best to answer it without any recourse to personal attacks. Frankly, its a bit hard given I have no-idea of the individuals who have had a crack, but here goes.

As a reserves coach, my role is to continually provide the senior team with as many players who are capable of playing seniors on any given day, at any given time. Whether they are 20, 24, 27, 33, or 36 is not my main concern, but the younger they are, the better. There's little doubt that VAFA clubs move forward quicker when a group of players graduate together through juniors and bring each other along, continuing to enjoy playing footy with their mates. That is certainly the case with the past 2 x U19 teams, which made the GF in 2006 and won the flag in 2007.

The Club XVIII has had only 2 players from our 2007 U19 premiership side playing in it for any length of time, and in both cases they were starting their seasons very late and needed game time before coming up to the reserves. One is now playing key position in the 2nds, and the other has been advised (after playing a grand total of 3 club XVIII matches for the year) he will most likely play in the reserves this week. Interestingly, I'm losing 4 good players under 22 to pre-planned semester break holidays in the next couple of weeks, whilst the more mature lads are 'holding the fort'. So sometimes it's tough to play all the kids in the key slots when they're not available every single week. Having said that, they're getting a better run in the prime positions than the older crew, and that's the way it should be.

Interestingly, only 7 regular Reds reserve players in 2007 have been regular Reds reserve players in 2008. In almost all cases, those who have moved on/retired have been replaced by far younger players. My starting backline on the weekend had 5 kids under 21. When it became apparent that they weren't going to be particularly busy, then I sent a couple of veterans (including myself) into the defence and brought the young fellas forward onto the ball and into the forward line.

On the weekend just past, the coaching staff decided to play two fellas in the reserves for the 1st games for a long time, one who is nearing and one who is over 30. However, they are seasoned quality players who are very likely to play senior footy in the next couple of weeks, and that may be the difference between knocking off Souths or OMs, or falling short.

In the end, the short term goal of earning immediate promotion must be balanced against the long term goal of rising further up the grades. I'm comfortable that we're striking the right balance here.

If any player has an issue with the way they're being coached/developed at the Reds, then they have an opportunity at the end of each and every reserves game to put it in their match assessment / feedback form (which is then collated, and I write a match review from the players' data). I doubt many other D1 clubs go to that length. I have had many one-on-ones with my players, both young and old, and I am yet to hear of a player who is dis-satisfied with the manner in which they're being coached or developed. The odd request to be played in a particular position has without fail been accomodated during the following week's game.

I know the young players at Fitzroy have a lot to be optimistic about - its exciting times ahead for all concerned. Frankly Dogtown, I have no idea what you're talking about. It's good to know we have at least one thing in common.

Cheers

Frase

You seem to be a very serious individual Scribe. It concerns me a little.

Speaking of concerns - tough game out at Ringwood this week for you guys. I'd imagine a fairly feral welcoming for the Reds with Aquinas needing to come up with a win or three to avoid relegation. Good luck with that.

You seem to be a very serious individual Scribe. It concerns me a little.

Speaking of concerns - tough game out at Ringwood this week for you guys. I'd imagine a fairly feral welcoming for the Reds with Aquinas needing to come up with a win or three to avoid relegation. Good luck with that.

Cheers Corey.

Rough day at the courthouse today, not helped by reading some of the dribble which sprouted forth. :mad:

Like most, I'll happily take constructive criticism face-to-face from those in the know and whom I respect. Sadly, not much of that went on today.

I'll try to bring out the whoopie cushion and cream pies for the Ammo Show taping tomorrow night. :D

Frase

Cheers Corey.

Rough day at the courthouse today, not helped by reading some of the dribble which sprouted forth. :mad:

Like most, I'll happily take constructive criticism face-to-face from those in the know and whom I respect. Sadly, not much of that went on today.

I'll try to bring out the whoopie cushion and cream pies for the Ammo Show taping tomorrow night. :D

Frase
Frase, as you know we go back a long way and you have my full support BUT I sometimes wonder why you as a coach posts on here. Why would you bother to respond to such utter garbage posted by certain people with bullshit agendas who will only slag off at you on a public forum behind a cyber username? There seems to be a lot of Fitzroy bashing on here and you seem to have become the BrianSpeaking of the D1 board. I recieved a similar PM from a weak prick who knows who I am but wont reveal his identity, obviously has a small penis and gets off bullying and threatening people anonymously(do u spell it like that? Its late).You may be better to ignore and hopefully they or he goes away. Failing that, get down to St Bedes with The Beasley Foundation, Supercoach Bevo, Micky Hazell and The Duke next year with yours truly.
The original Brian is back, sick of being nice to fw***ers...The King has spoken.

Far too much importance is placed on the reserves winning:cool:, ppfffftt, I'd give my right nut for one at the moment. I must admit though I did enjoy watching 7 of my 2007 reserves prelim team demolish Aquinas in the 1's last week, I'll have to sell myself as a development coach from now on.

Without trying to offend my peers past and present I'm yet to meet a more thorough reserves coach (Bling, you're a close second) than Frase. I can safely say that Fitzroy have both development and winning well covered with their reserves set up this year. Enjoy the finals Reds.

(cue the Harps loves Scribe posts, blah, blah, blah)

Far too much importance is placed on the reserves winning:cool:, ppfffftt, I'd give my right nut for one at the moment. I must admit though I did enjoy watching 7 of my 2007 reserves prelim team demolish Aquinas in the 1's last week, I'll have to sell myself as a development coach from now on.

Without trying to offend my peers past and present I'm yet to meet a more thorough reserves coach (Bling, you're a close second) than Frase. I can safely say that Fitzroy have both development and winning well covered with their reserves set up this year. Enjoy the finals Reds.

yeah!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lucky for those 7 players harps that they didnt learn how to take an overhead mark from u!! Also they probably could pick the ball up from the ground better than ur effort in the goal square on the weekend!! One of the funniest things i have ever seen on a football field!! Did a ghost spook u or something?? :D:D

How come there has been no talk about the big article on NOBS in the Age sport yesterday?

Fairly wanky story that i failed to find the need to let all of Victoria know about..

Anyone else catch it?

How come there has been no talk about the big article on NOBS in the Age sport yesterday?

Fairly wanky story that i failed to find the need to let all of Victoria know about..

Anyone else catch it?

Yeah, I saw it. The spin doctors in full flight.
They turned what most would see as a negative into a feel good story. President sacks coach, then appoints himself. Goes on a overseas holiday mid season and misses a couple of matches.

Yeah, I saw it. The spin doctors in full flight.
They turned what most would see as a negative into a feel good story. President sacks coach, then appoints himself. Goes on a overseas holiday mid season and misses a couple of matches.

Prob the reason there called NOBS, should be a K in front of that. Who cares anyway SMD have won out of it, Killer is hitting his straps now and no-oone pisses down Killers back and tells him its raining!!!!

Apprently David "the muffin man" Teasedale will be going out in Frankston after this weeks match. The muffin man used to be all over the revolving Dance floor at 21st century unfortunately this place has now closed down. I hear kittens is still in operation. Where ever you decide to go muffin man I'm sure you will attract some local "talent". good luck!

Can anyone fill us in on what 2 Fitzroy players and 2 Aquinas players will be explaining to the tribunal tomorrow night?

Any suspensions likely?

The Aquinas player might have a few weeks to think about what he did.

The Fitzroy player should get off (if it was any other comp). Was on the other side of the ground but it looked more like a push to the chest, the player stayed down for a minute but as he showed a little later in the game, it didn't take much for him to stay down.

The Aquinas player might have a few weeks to think about what he did.

The Fitzroy player should get off (if it was any other comp). Was on the other side of the ground but it looked more like a push to the chest, the player stayed down for a minute but as he showed a little later in the game, it didn't take much for him to stay down.

What was ur thoughts on the umpiring for the day? I have never ever been so confused while on the ground, me and my opponent at one stage couldnt do anything but laugh with some of the decisions...

Harps its Williams (Aq) and Biggs (Fitz)... Being biased i think both should get off but u never know what could happen at the tribunal, not takin the automatic 2 weeks suggests they believe they can get off!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back