D4 2010 - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well done to the Monash boys thoroughly deserved. Tommy Wall was bloody awesome though..

I was very disappointed with Wall ... he was solid but not spectacular.

The 3 best players on the ground were all from MtL (Al Stuart, Gibbo, Evans) ... I really thought you guys were going to scrape home.

How is Rodwell's shoulder? It was a wicked bump that Rutherford (#4) hit him with ... right on the point of the shoulder.

Just woke up. Been sleeping for 20 hours. Getting too old for alcohol!
If I recall Broman the skipper was asked if he wanted to play the 'time on' rule and he said yes... Big Mistake!

Well done to the Monash boys thoroughly deserved. Tommy Wall was bloody awesome though..

Great day for the the Gryphons and certainly well celebrated. Terrific club effort to win both grades (as was predicted many weeks ago).
Roberts again well held by Madden. Entire Monash backline was great, often under extreme pressure. Poor kicking cost Monash early (3.10) but that came good after half time (10.2).
A pity for Lilydale that Roberts and Wall don't put as much effort into their footy as they do their mouthing off. That could have been the difference between winning and losing a grand final.

Congratulations Monash on a good win.

Does any one have the final D4 'team of the year' they can post on here?

B: M.Gower (MtL), T.Conn (MC), T.Woodberry (RC)
HB: D.Elliman (SU), L.Wells (MG), S.Harrison (BHN)
C: M.Fletcher (MG), D.Bennett (EP), T.Wall (MtL)
HF: A.Rodwell (MtL), M.Viola (EP), D.Wills (MG)
F: A.Marsh (PC), S.MacCallum (MC), L.Allan (MG)
R: J.Baughan (MtL), W.DeVercelli (MC), D.Lucevic (NB)

Int: D.Barry-Macualey (Ch), M.Clark (SM), D.McCabe (EP), G.McGaw (PC), M.Manning (SU), D.Penny (BHN), G.Pullen (SM)

Coach: Laurie Zarafa (MC)

B: M.Gower (MtL), T.Conn (MC), T.Woodberry (RC)
HB: D.Elliman (SU), L.Wells (MG), S.Harrison (BHN)
C: M.Fletcher (MG), D.Bennett (EP), T.Wall (MtL)
HF: A.Rodwell (MtL), M.Viola (EP), D.Wills (MG)
F: A.Marsh (PC), S.MacCallum (MC), L.Allan (MG)
R: J.Baughan (MtL), W.DeVercelli (MC), D.Lucevic (NB)

Int: D.Barry-Macualey (Ch), M.Clark (SM), D.McCabe (EP), G.McGaw (PC), M.Manning (SU), D.Penny (BHN), G.Pullen (SM)

Coach: Laurie Zarafa (MC)

Thanks, did not get the record on Saturday, no major suprises here.

The 3 best players on the ground were all from MtL (Al Stuart, Gibbo, Evans) ... I really thought you guys were going to scrape home.

How is Rodwell's shoulder? It was a wicked bump that Rutherford (#4) hit him with ... right on the point of the shoulder.
He has a dislocated AC joint - he sees an Orthopedic surgeon on Wednesday.

Sorry about bringing this up again guys, but I've been biting my tongue for the last few weeks and just wont to respond to the few blokes giving us no credit for the fantastic efforts we have put in over the past few weeks.

anyway swinburne won not on there ability just on norths errors which probaly cost them the week before as we no thats footy u just need a bit of luck at the right time just like the goal from a free kick in the last minute which was a point mind u and swinny got the luck, but in saying that nth have only themselfs to blame!!!! doubt swinny will get close to monash and im sure monash were releaved after the game knowing they are only playing swinny not nth good luck and i hope it buckets down with lighting/hail storm u name it cause ill be nice and relaxed watching the races Monash for the daily double both games 39+ get on know norm short $1.95 each of 2
Swinburne won because we were the better team. Every quarter we matched it with north brunswick in scoring shots and inside 50's, in most cases actually winning, however we were unable to hurt on the scoreboard. Unlike NB who made the most of nearly every time they went forward. And good on them for that as they obviously had some class in their forward line. However as the results showed we dominated most of the game and if it wasn't for wayward kicking we would have finished they game a lot earlier than with a minute to go.

Monash Gryphons v Swinburne - 8 points.
It's funny when Swinburne seniors are a chance to make finals that their reserves lose to Mt Lilydale(who were pretty ordinary) in round 18 but as soon as the finals come around they have taken on all comers. This will make the Gryphons pretty nervous come Saturday. I would even hazard a guess that Swinburne have been setting up their 2's since round 13. Are there any other reasons for their miraculous fortunes? I think it matters not as the Gryphons will snatch this in a tightly fought contest.

I'd like to know your reasons for how we started setting up our 2's since round 13. Do you mean that after the club losing both reserves and seniors for 4 consecutive weeks that we turned it around and then both the seniors and reserves won the next four consecutive weeks. As for teh Lilydale game, the reserves had secured a top 5 position and obviously took their foot off the pedal. With the windy conditions Lilydale got off to a flying start and swinburne weren't able to pin them back. Full credit to Lilydale, and swinburne reserves learnt a valuable lesson that day which held them in good stead for the following weeks.

haha that is absolute tripe! we beat you in the reserves by about 8 goals and 7 goals in the season and come second semi we lost by 2 goals, there is no way you can improve that much in such a short space, Monash should win by quite a margin. and i may point out this is not sour grapes on my part, we have a geniune 2's side and 5 goals to none in the 2nd quarter killed us, i just find it laughable that you can even defend that you haven't got geniune 1's players in that side.
First time we played you we had a number of players rested to give other players a go as early in the season we had about 15 players missing out on a game each week, and I dare say we underestimated you that week. Second time we played you we didn't have any players missing out on a game, in fact we had to call up blokes the morning of the game to try and get them top travel out to South Mornington to play and as a result of that we needed players to leave at half time to double up in the seniors. Not an excuse as we gave it our all and you guys were too good. However when everyone makes it back from uni holidays those positions that were filled by seasoned players and hence why were turned our form around beat you in the finals.
If you think we have genuine 1's players in our 2's side then by all means name them instead our just talking rubbish because we played bloody good footy in the finals. Our players improved out of this world this year and they deserve credit for their hard work. If all our players stick together next year we'll go a long way future than a reserves grand final.

Also congratulations to Monash. A great effort for them to win the double. They were just too good for us and clearly the best team all year.

I'd like to know your reasons for how we started setting up our 2's since round 13. Do you mean that after the club losing both reserves and seniors for 4 consecutive weeks that we turned it around and then both the seniors and reserves won the next four consecutive weeks. As for teh Lilydale game, the reserves had secured a top 5 position and obviously took their foot off the pedal. With the windy conditions Lilydale got off to a flying start and swinburne weren't able to pin them back. Full credit to Lilydale, and swinburne reserves learnt a valuable lesson that day which held them in good stead for the following weeks.

Lilydale 2nd's were a better team than their ladder position showed.

Best players on the ground in my opionion were BOG Gibson carved up monash in the middle deserved the medal, Wells does this man ever get beat/ play a bad one? Munro had it on a string and can take a grab. Great game to watch glad it was close well done to monash on their clubs first flags

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who were the vote getters in last nights B & F, other than Wells winning, is there a list anywhere of the results?

Who were the vote getters in last nights B & F, other than Wells winning, is there a list anywhere of the results?

I have heard that Bennett from Eley Park finished second. Dont know if he tied with anyone else though. Great year by our skip.

Best players on the ground in my opionion were BOG Gibson carved up monash in the middle deserved the medal, Wells does this man ever get beat/ play a bad one? Munro had it on a string and can take a grab. Great game to watch glad it was close well done to monash on their clubs first flags

with 2 min to go only a couple of points in it, great game played like it should be, big crowd enjoyed what they saw. Wills kicked a couple of freakish goals when it counted, well held by hampton but those 2 was about the difference. Tough for Rodwell not to get a free, right in front of the ump, acidental but still head (shoulder) high and he rodwell was getting plenty of it on ball. Was it a mark/free in the mtl goal with 3 min left?
Great 2's game that was also in the ballance until last qtr.

with 2 min to go only a couple of points in it, great game played like it should be, big crowd enjoyed what they saw. Wills kicked a couple of freakish goals when it counted, well held by hampton but those 2 was about the difference. Tough for Rodwell not to get a free, right in front of the ump, acidental but still head (shoulder) high and he rodwell was getting plenty of it on ball. Was it a mark/free in the mtl goal with 3 min left?
Great 2's game that was also in the ballance until last qtr.

From what I saw the bump was right on the point of the shoulder. Rodwell was ducking Selwood style looking for a free kick. It looked fair to me.

Would've been an interesting game if Pullka and Rhodes were in the team.

From what I saw the bump was right on the point of the shoulder. Rodwell was ducking Selwood style looking for a free kick. It looked fair to me.

Would've been an interesting game if Pullka and Rhodes were in the team.

Since when was putting your head over the ball "ducking"? The player with his head over the ball trying to gather it must be protected from head high contact. At no point had Rodwell gained possesion of the ball, stood up to see a bump coming and decided to duck to gain a free kick.
The bump was a 50/50 call for the ump to make as I believe it was not a deliberate act to take the player out, but it was reckless at least even if it was on the shoulder.

Rodwell - No Free Kick - Point of the shoulder, came from side on so I don't think there was high contact.

5 minutes to go in Mt. Lilydale foward line - Was probably both a mark and a free kick!

Perfect bump on Rodwell I thought. Just unlucky that it got him where it did.

On the thing that happened near the end - still not sure how the umpire missed that!

[FONT=&quot]
old%20westbourne%20fc.jpg
[/FONT]

Old Westbourne Amatuer Football Club

oldwestbourneafc.com.au

COACHES WANTED
Senior, Reserve, Club 18 (3rds), U19 & U18
Playing or non-playing. Remuneration negotiable.

All written applications to:
The Secretary,Old Westbourne AFC,
PO BOX 1680WERRIBEE PLAZA, 3030
Applications close Mon. 20th Sept., ’10.
Any enquiries to Pres. Adrian Lipscombe
Tel. 0427 129 667.

There are certainly some strange results.

Round 6: BHN vs MTL - 3 Votes Liston. I think they got the ruck man from the wrong team.
Round 8: BHN vs SU - No votes for D. Penny (8 goals, 35 possessions)
Round 13: MTL vs BHN - 3 Votes Rhodes. Was comprehensively beaten in the ruck and across half forward.

Any other strange results?
There's always strange results which is why I believe not a lot can be taken out of the league best and fairest.

Monash v Chadstone - 159 to 20 (Chadstones Barry-Macaulay 1 vote)
Swinburne v Chadstone - 244 to 21 (Chadstones Barry-Macaulay 2 votes)
Swinburne v Monash - 163 to 37 (Swinburnes Hyman 1 vote)

I find it hard to believe that in massive losses how someone can be in the top 3 best players on the ground when their team gets absoulutley thumped. How can a team be beaten by over 37 goals but have the second best player on the ground.

Now for the most important question at this tome of year. Where are all the various teams going for their end of season footy trips? Also a few weeks ago on SEN a guy from Richmond Central rang in talking about a trip from a few years ago and how the guys ended up in a massive street fight. Can anyone elaborate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back