Coach Daisy Pearce

Remove this Banner Ad

That comment is in regards to AFLW.

1/ daisy isn’t free. The AFL cover $50k
2/ I don’t know how daisy does it.
She has twins.
She was an AFLW captain.
Has a full time job.
And she just finished the level 3 coaches course (which isn’t easy)

For balance, Shaun Grigg only just finished that course. He did it with daisy.

It doesn’t sound like she will be there for a while. She wants to get herself refreshed and sorted and go hard.
Maybe .I think this is the page referenced by teen wolf.

Actions We commit to
» Leadership and collaboration driven by clubs, players and the AFLPA through inclusive and broad representation of the AFLW Competition Committee. » A strategy for the 18-team elite AFLW Competition that considers economic sustainability, competition quality and state league enhancement.
» An AFL and AFLPA commitment to a model of professional careers for athletes that grows with the competition.
» Further develop the AFL Women’s Coaching and Umpiring Academy to support women’s progression into senior coaching and umpiring roles.
» A new player-to-coach pathway for AFLW players, with a specific education and accreditation model.
» A new AFL Women’s Coaching Acceleration Program based at selected AFL Clubs within AFL and AFLW football programs.
» The creation and implementation of workplay - a professional network and platform connecting female athletes to flexible work, education and career development opportunities.
» Ensuring every club has a strategy to full integration of the women’s and men’s teams.
» Ensure each of the 18 AFLW clubs has a dedicated Player Development Manager to provide player support in their lives outside of football.
» Support the health, safety and wellbeing needs of players through education, opportunities and support.
» State league structures and resourcing that enhances the talent pathways and ensures competition success.
» Greater promotion to increase the visibility of pathways to AFLW.
» Collaboratively develop a national U16 talent program and competition to ensure earlier exposure to high-performance expectations and environments. » Continue to evolve the national U18 competition to support the development and preparation of players entering AFLW.
» Continue to develop and nurture the engagement and progress of diversity talent programming for Aboriginal, Torres Strait Islander and culturally diverse girls.
» Using talent pathways to support the ongoing development of women involved in the game – coaching, umpiring, administration and high performance.
» Attracting the best emerging and experienced coaches pursuing career opportunities in women’s football. Challenges Scale of economy required for expansion for clubs and League. Facility readiness for integration at both the club and pathway level. Distribution of talent across all clubs for a competitive League. Resourcing of programs at club level and shared workforce pressures. Scale of economy required for enhanced pathway programming. Pathways and Performance Aspirational Targets
» 50% of AFLW senior coaching positions held by women.
» AFLW players are the highest paid sportswomen in a domestic competition in the country.
» Visible pathways for administrators to ensure that women are positioned for senior football positions.

Our Game Plan “Women coaching both men’s and women’s teams”

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe .I think this is the page referenced by teen wolf.

Actions We commit to » Leadership and collaboration driven by clubs, players and the AFLPA through inclusive and broad representation of the AFLW Competition Committee. » A strategy for the 18-team elite AFLW Competition that considers economic sustainability, competition quality and state league enhancement. » An AFL and AFLPA commitment to a model of professional careers for athletes that grows with the competition. » Further develop the AFL Women’s Coaching and Umpiring Academy to support women’s progression into senior coaching and umpiring roles. » A new player-to-coach pathway for AFLW players, with a specific education and accreditation model. » A new AFL Women’s Coaching Acceleration Program based at selected AFL Clubs within AFL and AFLW football programs. » The creation and implementation of workplay - a professional network and platform connecting female athletes to flexible work, education and career development opportunities. » Ensuring every club has a strategy to full integration of the women’s and men’s teams. » Ensure each of the 18 AFLW clubs has a dedicated Player Development Manager to provide player support in their lives outside of football. » Support the health, safety and wellbeing needs of players through education, opportunities and support. » State league structures and resourcing that enhances the talent pathways and ensures competition success. » Greater promotion to increase the visibility of pathways to AFLW. » Collaboratively develop a national U16 talent program and competition to ensure earlier exposure to high-performance expectations and environments. » Continue to evolve the national U18 competition to support the development and preparation of players entering AFLW. » Continue to develop and nurture the engagement and progress of diversity talent programming for Aboriginal, Torres Strait Islander and culturally diverse girls. » Using talent pathways to support the ongoing development of women involved in the game – coaching, umpiring, administration and high performance. » Attracting the best emerging and experienced coaches pursuing career opportunities in women’s football. Challenges Scale of economy required for expansion for clubs and League. Facility readiness for integration at both the club and pathway level. Distribution of talent across all clubs for a competitive League. Resourcing of programs at club level and shared workforce pressures. Scale of economy required for enhanced pathway programming. Pathways and Performance Aspirational Targets » 50% of AFLW senior coaching positions held by women. » AFLW players are the highest paid sportswomen in a domestic competition in the country. » Visible pathways for administrators to ensure that women are positioned for senior football positions. Our Game Plan “Women coaching both men’s and women’s teams”

Wall of text.
Will not read.

Once again the the AFL is pushing a social agender.

AFLW boss Nicole Livingstone said the program is the first “major step” towards the league’s goal to have 50 per cent of the competition’s senior coaching roles held by women by 2030.

Can't we just have best person for the job appointments and drop quotes.I have no problem with the AFL providing the pathway for women to enter into the coaching field,however the statement from Nicole rubs me up the wrong way.

Why is pushing a social agender a bad thing? Wouldn't have the AFLW without it.

In workplace recruitment bias is really strong force, it can take many forms for example Port Adelaide picking Primus over Scott, as an organisation Geelong showed is strength by avoiding that pitfall.

Bias against minority candidates could hold otherwise fully qualified candidates from the position. A good example of this is how few Indigenous coaches there are at AFL level. Given that roughly 10% of AFL players are Indigenous, and give that the being ex-AFL player is the strongest qualification to becoming an entry level role at AFL coaching, then all thing being equal that roughly 10% of the development and assistant coaches would be Indigenous. But that isn't the case.

The truth of the matter is there would be no shortage of qualified candidates regardless of gender for the AFLW coaching positions but there is a limited number of spots. Without aspiration goals such as the ones outlined by Nicole Livingstone you'd ultimately have a skewed pool and it wouldn't be driven by meritocracy any more than the example I provided above. You can see the same thing happening in most industries where a diverse entry level becomes less so as you move up the ladder.

It's always hard to institute or steer toward changes. The governing bodies can do all they like, but if the actual decision-makers at each club are at all biased or cliquish then it will be very slow going. Look at the NFL for reference.

I think the AFL should get as many female and indigenous applicants through the training program, keeping high standards of course. Then, don't try to force them into AFL clubs, but rather get them out to lower tiers and local clubs for experience. Not just for the coaches, but also the population needs to get used to it. Then maybe those in the backrooms will be more comfortable with turning over the ship to someone who doesn't look like them.

Once again the the AFL is pushing a social agender.

AFLW boss Nicole Livingstone said the program is the first “major step” towards the league’s goal to have 50 per cent of the competition’s senior coaching roles held by women by 2030.

Can't we just have best person for the job appointments and drop quotes.I have no problem with the AFL providing the pathway for women to enter into the coaching field,however the statement from Nicole rubs me up the wrong way.
Is that you suggesting this is a female gender novelty issue, or do you mean some other agenda?

Is that you suggesting this is a female gender novelty issue, or do you mean some other agenda?
Nothing sinister here from my point of view,1 I like Daisy 2 I'm more than happy to see women in coaching rolls both Men's and Woman's comp as is the end game stated by Nicole Livingstone ,My only gripe is the 50% bit and a time frame of 8 years,I just think for that to eventuate it will need to be manipulated by the AFL and better candidate could see Men discriminated against,it's already started in the corporate world.

Last edited:
,I just think for that to eventuate it will need to be manipulated by the AFL and better candidate could see Men discriminated against,it's already started in the corporate world.
Boo hoo -men being discriminated against, how will we cope? Reality is that this is just an aspirational goal - hence the use of the term "aspirational goal" in the wording in the doc you posted. And 50% of senior coaches in the AFLW (not mens) is not really that ambitious. And if the AFL says that it must be met, it would be a mandate not a goal. You dont have to feel threatened.

FWIW affirmative action in footy and the corporate world is rarely about mandating that women or other disadvantaged groups are given roles above better qualified men. What it usually involves is targetting recruitment messages to environments that are more likely to be seen by women, using language that is non-threatening and non-blokey, having interview panels that are diverse, removal of the influence of the old-boy network, improving training for women in those skills that are required for the roles, making sure that work practices are more condusive and supportive for primary family carers, having decent maternity leave. None of these things discriminate against men, but they really do help boost the number of highly qualified women that will apply for these roles.

Boo hoo -men being discriminated against, how will we cope? Reality is that this is just an aspirational goal - hence the use of the term "aspirational goal" in the wording in the doc you posted. And 50% of senior coaches in the AFLW (not mens) is not really that ambitious. And if the AFL says that it must be met, it would be a mandate not a goal. You dont have to feel threatened.

FWIW affirmative action in footy and the corporate world is rarely about mandating that women or other disadvantaged groups are given roles above better qualified men. What it usually involves is targetting recruitment messages to environments that are more likely to be seen by women, using language that is non-threatening and non-blokey, having interview panels that are diverse, removal of the influence of the old-boy network, improving training for women in those skills that are required for the roles, making sure that work practices are more condusive and supportive for primary family carers, having decent maternity leave. None of these things discriminate against men, but they really do help boost the number of highly qualified women that will apply for these roles.
Perfect response. I just don't get the bit where some guys feel threatened by this stuff. It's awesome. I've got the privilege of 16 weeks parental leave, the same as women because of this kind of thing. Seriously, everyone is winning not just the girls.

Excellent!

Is that not at odds with the goal (the last 10 words) that everyone so far has chosen to ignore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is that not at odds with the goal (the last 10 words) that everyone so far has chosen to ignore.
At odds with what? Getting females experience in coaching men's teams doesn't mean that a man misses out. For starters we've already had female coaches in the afl alone on merit. Peta Searle for example. And what do think Daisy will be doing?, match day coach? Of course she won't, at least not until, like all coaches, she has proved herself. For example she may will be joining James Kelly in thinking up potential match strategies. What do you think all the coaches do?

I'm really happy with this appointment. Is Daisy going to be able to come up with a game plan to see us go back to back...I've no idea, but I had no idea what Betts, Kelly, Egan & Byrnes brought in that capacity last year. At the time Scott mentioned that those appointments were more about bringing in good people as opposed to specific roles. I would suggest Daisy is similar. On the evidence we have, she seems a person of high quality, she will bring a different dynamic to the coaching team and business evidence indicates that having female leaders has huge benefits.

Daisy is a quality person by all accounts, and she knows the game as well as anyone—male or female—IMO. She is a real get for the club, and I think Daisy will do very well. Disappointing to read misogyny in this thread, some ppl need to grow up.

For further discussion of the now deleted 13 posts, please take it to private message - there seemed very little to do with anything football related, and rather a discussion between posters that's better suited not on a public thread

Be serious now, what could a woman possibly have to offer to the men's game? Apart from the prospect of being a convenient subject of ridicule, based on nothing more than their gender and the sound of their voice?
I’m going to bite 😏

There are lots things women can do, GYCs, we have:
Voted + stood for parliament since 1902;
Child mortality rates dropped when women began voting;
WWII, Australia, women joined the workforce, replacing many male workers who had joined the military. Australian Women's Land Army;
1960s women confronted legal + social double standards, workplace discrimination + sexual harassment;
Equally, women worldwide began a push for female sexual freedom;
Equal Opportunity Act of 1984;
A biological superior body;
A higher EQ;
Poverty rate for households with a female reference person or main earner is almost twice as high (19.2% using the 50% median income poverty line) as when the main earner is male (10.2% using the 50% median income poverty line);

Women have fought for thousands of years to be given rights automatically granted to XY chromosome holders from birth.

Should I keep going?

Very interested to know your age bracket, if you’ll indulge me?

I’m certainly not an angry feminist, I did fight for women’s rights + benefited from many of those rights. It’s astonishing to read your comment in 2023, frankly. It saddens me that women still face discrimination because society sees, prioritises + rewards ‘masculinity’, + the traits, through social conditioning, that are assigned to men – assertiveness, confidence, knowledge, authoritativeness. Women are regarded as the weaker sex, physically yes. We’re stronger in so many areas.

To divide men + women in 2023, especially in AFL is wrong, considering supporters are the second (to Football) in female:male balance. AFL maintains female supporters as they age.
View attachment 1614011

Alert: Sensitive males might find the following content objectionable.

Copy + paste into your browser.

cats_09 please advise if I should remove the Twitter reference?

I’m going to bite 😏

WWII, Australia, women joined the workforce, replacing many male workers who had joined the military. Australian Women's Land Army;
1960s women confronted legal + social double standards, workplace discrimination + sexual harassment;
A higher EQ;
Poverty rate for households with a female reference person or main earner is almost twice as high (19.2% using the 50% median income poverty line) as when the main earner is male (10.2% using the 50% median income poverty line);

Women have fought for thousands of years to be given rights automatically granted to XY chromosome holders from birth.

Should I keep going?

I’m certainly not an angry feminist, I did fight for women’s rights + benefited from many of those rights. It’s astonishing to read your comment in 2023, frankly. It saddens me that women still face discrimination because society sees, prioritises + rewards ‘masculinity’, + the traits, through social conditioning, that are assigned to men – assertiveness, confidence, knowledge, authoritativeness. Women are regarded as the weaker sex, physically yes. We’re stronger in so many areas.

To divide men + women in 2023, especially in AFL is wrong, considering supporters are the second (to Football) in female:male balance. AFL maintains female supporters as they age.
View attachment 1614011

Thanks, Hello Kitty.

Sorry for not attaching the 'sarcasm' emoji in my post you quoted, which would have made it clear that I have no time for those who don't believe individuals like Daisy Pearce could add much of value to the broader football program at Geelong. If you read any of my other posts regarding Daisy's employment at the club, you will hopefully gather that I am entirely supportive of Pearce joining the GFC. To the point where I got more than a little riled by those on our board who have been mocking or dismissing her appointment.

So, again, apologies for not being clearer in my earlier post. Daisy can (and, I believe, will) make a really valuable contribution at the Cattery during her time with us. And her credentials/worth as a person of character and also acumen regarding football are simply not in doubt for me, irrespective of her gender.

I’m going to bite 😏

A higher EQ;

Should I keep going?

View attachment 1614011

love betty white she was a boss.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back