Dale Thomas..

Remove this Banner Ad

You'd be wrong. Swan was clearly the deserving winner last year - scarcely played a bad game.

Seems it's you changing your tune to detract from Murph's brilliant season.

how am i changing my tune. i never said i didn't rate the coaches award.just pointing out that majority of people on here last year said the coaches award meant nothing. so stop putting words into my mouth that i never said.

The hardest running player at the club for 2 seasons at least now. Covers an enormous amount of ground, no one can go with him. Runs the opposition into the ground and still has enough energy in the tank to do the spectacular as well as the chasing and tackling.

Read his twitter comments regularly and always puts in little comments about his love of the pies. Will be going nowhere, this boy.

..he's not Elite [yet].. ..and before you ask, no i don't think Murphy is Elite either [yet].. ..Pendles is borderline Elite.. ..all young stars, but you gotta play more than a season or two of top class footy to be elite [imho].. ..another year or two os the same level and consistency and they'll all be Elite..

..the query over whether or not he can overcome a tag is pertinent,and for what it's worth i reckon he should since it's basically hard, hard work and discipline breaking a tag and he's showing those traits consistently now.. ..and i think he's more dangerous on the flanks/wing vs starting mid/onballer..

Say what you will about Thomas. No midfielder can be considered 'elite' until they've had a good solid season at the top level with a close tag... something Thomas has never had. This may change, who knows. Mind you, I class elite as Judd, Ablett, Swan, Pendlebury, Goddard, Selwood. Thomas isn't in this bracket. Apart from the tag question, his consistency is not up to the level of those mentioned above either. The players above put in the performance Thomas put in today every other week... and have done for a prolonged period.

Geelong put a hard tag (Ling) on him in the PF last year. It lasted about 25 minutes!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Smokey for the brownlow?

Was BOG today, and was BOG against Adelaide last week, and he might manage to be in the votes for his game against Geelong and his game against Richmond too.

If Thomas continues in his current vein of form, he'd certainly be in contention for the medal at season's end. He regularly does the "eye-catching" things as well as the hard stuff, so I'd hope the umpires would notice him out there, and he'll get a few one and two votes games along the way that'll boost his total, along with being rewarded for his BOG performances.

It really is embarrassing that some people want to talk down other players instead of just celebrating their own player. I mean why are we talking about Murphy and Judd in this thread? They're both stars, as is Thomas.

For Collingwood fans, Murphy is a brilliant player, and if we had the first pick that year we wouldn't have gone for Thomas.
Pendlebury, Murphy and Thomas all look like being starting mids in the AA side this season...amazing that 3 out of the top 5 from one draft would be starting AA mids in the same season.
As others have mentioned, the amazing thing about Daisy is his work off the ball. You don't see it on tv, but at the game he gut runs all over the field not just to lay a tackle, but to man up or close down space. It's almost like he has been aware of people (wrongly in my opinion) seeing him as only a flashy attacking player, and he wants the footy world to know that he is as gritty defensively as just about any other mid in the comp.
He is starting in the centre a lot more this season and is just beginning to improve his clearance numbers. I have been secretly praying that Daisy would make the leap from small forward to midfield gun that Gazza jr has been able to. Not saying Daisy can ever make Gazza Jrs level because he is just about the best player I have ever seen, but he is certainly following a similar career path. Extremely talented players entering the competition but lacking the fitness base to make an extended impact.

Both Thomas and Murphy are quality players.

Difference, in my opinion, Thomas is the game-breaker, his last 40 or so games has produced some brilliant performances (like against the Eagles on Sunday). Murphy on the overhand is more consistent, but I would never call him brilliant, just quality.

Would have both on my team, without hesitation.

Quality player, now has the tank to run out a game, that has been the difference bewen Daisy of 2008 and prior and now. Superstar that makes things happen, we have a bloke that looks like him, I'd be damn happy if he is as good as Daisy!

Quality player, now has the tank to run out a game, that has been the difference bewen Daisy of 2008 and prior and now. Superstar that makes things happen, we have a bloke that looks like him, I'd be damn happy if he is as good as Daisy!

As an aside.

Chatted to Heppell at the club when I was in Melbourne - My wife said to Heppell that he looks like Thomas - Heppell's response - 'Thomas is a gun'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dale Thomas..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back