List Mgmt. Dan Houston requests trade - but will stay if deal cannot be done

Remove this Banner Ad

Pot Ken all you want, but player retention has absolutely been his strength.

Even when Houston is leaving, he's done the right thing by his club as well as he can.
No one leaves and yet we have a “terrible list” and Ken has done wonders with the state of the list

And yet Ken is getting praised for player retention.

Cant have both

Good luck with that for a player who will be 28 next year.
One 1st rounder & with something else is more realistic.

No worries, he will stay at Port then.

“Yeah look, we didn’t want to lose Dan but in this instance it was in the best interest of both club & player that a deal was done in a concise & prompt manner. As they say, one door closes & another one opens, so we delighted to welcome back an old club favourite Billy Frampton & his teammate Joe Richards. We truly believe this is a win/win deal for both clubs.”

A week later Chris Davies will jump ship to the Pies as there Football Manager.

The fact you have already committed to Lukosius & potentially others like Perryman and not having any 1st round picks Houston will need to go to get some picks in, it just won't be two 1st rounders.

Perryman's a free agent and has yet to confirm where he will be playing.

The asking price from day one has been two first rounders, Melbourne set that when they made their play.

Houston has said he will stay if Port's asking price can't be met and he has 3 years left on his contract. We can pretty much do as we please.

Perryman's a free agent and has yet to confirm where he will be playing.

The asking price from day one has been two first rounders, Melbourne set that when they made their play.

Houston has said he will stay if Port's asking price can't be met and he has 3 years left on his contract. We can pretty much do as we please.

Yeah but I recall players saying they're happy to stay but then turn adamant on the trade happening as the trade prolongs ... and we tend to push a player wanting out regardless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah but I recall players saying they're happy to stay but then turn adamant on the trade happening as the trade prolongs ... and we tend to push a player wanting out regardless.

He has 3 years left on his contract. He could be as adamant as he likes but he can't go anywhere if it doesn't suit us.

I don't know what Fremantle might want, or how likely they'd be to trade out one or both of picks 9 and 10, but their best pick may not be a top 10 pick after bids (it would be good to take a genuine top 10 pick to the draft).
Who cares if a pick slides because of bids. Its only a negative if you're using the pick for points yourself. If you're picking a player with it, the exact same players are available, even if it was pushed back because of multiple bids.

Its only when a pick slides back because of free agency compensation that it actually gets worse.

Yeah, I get that ... but don't we tend to still let contracted players go and not squeeze a lot from it? i.e. Howard and Wingard.

Wingard was a pre-agent and we knew Clarkson was coming for him the next year, Howard they just lost interest in.

Houston is very much required.

But end of the day, who knows what will happen. I would hope they stand their ground and get a decent deal.

The fact you have already committed to Lukosius & potentially others like Perryman and not having any 1st round picks Houston will need to go to get some picks in, it just won't be two 1st rounders.
No you see this is where you have it wrong

The deal will be exactly as the club wants or he stays

That’s it

This isn’t a homesick walk him to the draft scenario

We can deal for Luko without this deal they aren’t tied together and as others have pointed out perryman is free (but he’s going to Collingwood anyway)

Your cognitive dissonance about the fact Carlton doesn’t have the currency doesn’t matter

The fact that Houston doesn't even nominate a specific club too and is happy with a bidding war.

What a man you are Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Dan Houston requests trade - but will stay if deal cannot be done

Remove this Banner Ad

Back