List Mgmt. Dan Houston requests trade to Victoria - will stay if deal can't be done

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So much for Houston wanting to ensure that Port get something decent in return for him which North have offered.

Time to tell him that you are staying at Port.

13, 23 and Richards doesn’t sound that bad after all now.

But now that Houston has chosen Collingwood I think we need to make things really difficult for him because he doesn’t give a stuff about us.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Collingwood probably finish higher than north Melbourne next year but from 2026 onwards i reckon they’ll be better.

Collingwood are old as the hills, it’s debatable whether this year was a premiership hangover or just them nearing the edge of the cliff.

Richards is effectively worthless at the trade table, he's a 4th round pick. Don't get me wrong, i'm happy enough to add some small forward depth, but he's a 25yo who has kicked 6 goals in 9 games.

For Houston, a mid first rounder, a 2nd rounder and a late pick is unders, especially given Houston has 3 years on his contract and the value at which other, lesser players are being traded this year.

If you're only offering 1 first round pick as part of your package, it would need to be in the single digits. I've regularly said that my standard would be 2 picks that add up to less than 30.

Given he's stated that he'll stay if we don't get a deal done, we have no reason to take unders for him.

In a toffee nose, upper crust voice

Yeah, but mother Victoria is calling, and their favourite son Collingwood wants Houston, so pick 13, Joey Ricardo, a couple of bottom-end picks. Shall suffice because we’re mother Victoria, and when we come calling, you must drop everything and you must accept what we give you.

Honestly, this ****ing entitlement gives me the shits. Unless any club is prepared to give two first-round picks in this year draft, they shouldn’t bother picking up the phone, and I hope this stance continues through the trade period.

**** ‘em.

Last edited:
I haven’t changed my opinion that 13, 23 & Richards is more than a fair trade for Houston, but not without 23 attached.

As for Dan zeroing in on Collingwood….

“You know how much I love you babe, & that I want to spend every waking minute of the day with you…..but that love can only occur if I’m wearing a Collingwood jumper”.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those having a go at Dan ought to pull their heads in. He has made no official team preference. It seems that all he has done is ask Port to negotiate with the Wobbles. Perfectly reasonable.

Collingwood playing games with their first offer, just to keep their fans happy- “we tried to get him for 13 and Jo but had to give 23 as well”.

Collingwood, Essendon in the thick of trade action with interstate clubs​

By Michael Gleeson and Peter Ryan

October 9, 2024 — 8.20pm

Collingwood, Gold Coast and Port Adelaide remain at an impasse in discussions that would effectively be a three-way deal for Dan Houston to get to the Magpies – which is now his preferred destination – with John Noble and Joe Richards moving to the Suns and Power respectively.
According to sources familiar with discussions, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, Collingwood have offered their future first-round pick and Noble to the Suns for picks 13 and 23, a deal the Suns have rejected.

Collingwood’s plan in securing pick 13 would be to tie it with Joe Richards in a deal with Port for Houston. They want to keep pick 23 to take to the draft.
The Power are unlikely to accept that deal for Houston. The Suns’ interest in negotiating with Collingwood is two-fold: They want to secure Noble, but they also want to provide Collingwood with draft capital to trade to Port for Houston.

Helping Port get a Houston trade completed would then clear the path for the Adelaide club to trade their future first-round pick to the Suns for Jack Lukosius. The AFL have told Port they won’t need special approval to trade their future first pick.
Lukosius is on a contract worth about $2.5 million over the next two years at the Suns – an amount the club is eager to move off their books – but would receive a longer-term contract on fewer dollars per year at the Power.

While there is still a week remaining in the trade window, the longer negotiations stall the more likely it is that Gold Coast open discussions with other clubs, including Carlton, over pick 13 or that North Melbourne, who have the draft capital to trade with Port, enters the negotiations for Houston.
WTF does the highlighted bit mean? We do need permission to trade our F1- either the AFL have granted it or not. This doesn’t make sense. Should it read, “The AFL have told Port they cannot trade their F1 unless they get a R1 from Houston.”

Otherwise, I don’t see how Gold Coast facilitating the Houston trade helps them in any way.

Also, is #23 a first or second round pick for the purposes of the AFL rules?

The problem with a contracted player trying to force his way to a big Vic club is that the big Vic club are going to act like entitled dickheads at the trade table, which is all well and good if you're uncontracted but doesn't do you much good when you're locked in at your current club for three seasons.

Dan needs to decide whether he'd rather play for Port, North, or the Demons, because those are his options. Carlton and Collingwood aren't options.

So much for Houston wanting to ensure that Port get something decent in return for him which North have offered.

Time to tell him that you are staying at Port.

Isn't this still what he's doing, more or less? My understanding is:
  1. Houston wanted to go to the Demons, who were putting together a fair return.
  2. He went cold on the Demons, at which point he (at least publicly) stated he was happy to remain with us. Houston continued to seek other opportunities to return to Melbourne.
  3. He was eventually sold on Carlton as a destination.
  4. Carlton couldn't put together a fair return.
  5. Rather than dig his heels in and insist on being traded to Carlton, Houston turned his attention to Collingwood. Whether Houston went cold on Carlton or Carlton went cold on Houston probably depends on who you ask.
  6. Collingwood is now trying to put together a return that Port will accept.
If Collingwood can't put together a fair return, we won't trade with them. If Houston then turns his attention to North, that's fine, and it'd be consistent with wanting to get us a fair return. He's not obliged to get us the best possible return, and I don't blame him for not wanting to go to North if he doesn't have to.

It might eventuate that there is no fair return to be had, and Houston stays for 2025. It wouldn't be the first time that the fair price for a player was more than anyone was willing or able to pay

Last edited:
Why is north future first seen as so much better than the other deals? They could easily spike up the ladder leaving us with a potential double figure pick next year. I think north has potential on their list to surprise. I think it’s risky dealing with future picks unless you were dealing with Richmond where it’s almost guaranteed they’ll be shit.

And this draft is meant to be strong too, so I’d rather take the guaranteed 13 now but Collingwood sure as hell need to sweeten up that deal a lot more than throwing in Richards.
Norths future first will be a top 4 pick. They suck. They've won 15 of their last 107 games. Teams like that don't just jump up the ladder. It will take years.

I’m glad we added Dan to the leadership group this year, lol.

Pretty poor from him picking Collingwood, when all he is doing is chasing a bloody girlfriend, with 3 years to run on his contract. Feel like this exit is the worst one we’ve had in a while, the whole thing stinks.

I don't believe for a second he's picked them. I think he is just siding with the option that has the best chance that isn't North.

I'd still be shocked after all we've heard that Dan wouldn't choose to go to North ahead of stay here.

Last edited:
They wouldn't be doing it if we said don't bother...
There must be something in it
We're going to roll over ..
Set the offer so low, so that when pick 23 is added it feels like an amazing improvement.

Basic negotiation. Hopefully we're smart enough to see through it.

We should be trying to deal on Richards separately with a 3rd/4th rounder

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Dan Houston requests trade to Victoria - will stay if deal can't be done

Remove this Banner Ad

Back