List Mgmt. Dan Houston requests trade to Victoria - will stay if deal can't be done

Remove this Banner Ad

Latest news:

Collingwood Getting even more pathetic, Deal with North exclusively!!!

John Ralph 7 Minutes ago- The Advertiser
Collingwood is still the resounding favourite to secure Dan Houston despite believing the Power's current demand for the dual All Australian equates to a trio of late first-round picks.
The Pies are prepared to secure Gold Coast's no. 13 and 23 picks in a swap with their future first-round selection and departing defender John Noble.
But they are not prepared to hand over 13 and 23 to the Power, believing Sydney would then trade its picks 19 and 22 for the cherished No. 13 pick.
It would leave the Power with picks 19, 22 and 23 and Richards for Houston.

There is a correlation between the ‘little club from Alberton’ and ‘everyone’s second team’ rhetoric and our poor negotiating. I reckon it also plays a part in letting the Victorian AFL media influencing the value we give and get for our trades. Essentially, Koch has set an environment where we need to be seen as reasonable in all trades. So, we start every trade from a vulnerable position.

This is certainly at play with Dan.
Doesn't mean we can't play tough though. Action beats perception. Don't trade him.

Okay Mr 5 post Horney Francis. They are not even remotely close to a deal that both parties are happy with, this is definitely not happening today. It would take one almighty backflip from either side for that to happen.
Righto mate, yes new to the thread, but just passing on news that I trust (particularly surrounding the tour last night). I'm just as pissed as everyone here if they go and fold this early, after talking a big show and demanding nothing less than 2 R1 picks. Shouldn't have to take unders on a contracted B2B AA

Judging from what Power supporters are rating Houston, Port still say no.
Maybe we send both Daicos brothers as a sweetener.
How about you...

gfy-f-u.gif

There is no way Rioli is worth pick 6, let alone 6 and 13. That is just nonsense.
My personal opinion (not that it means much, same as everybody else on Bigfooty) is that Houston is worth more than Rioli.
A fair bit more also.

That being said however, Richmond are in a better position because GC has the better picks, the Hardwick connection and well they just are.

Port unfortunately are not as blessed this time around.
Yes they could tell him to stay. But we all know clubs these days dont do that.
Be it culture, be it AFLPA pressure, who know, it just doesn't happen.

Port could send him to North but Dan may not want that. Personally I think players have too much power.

Eventually we may get to a position where if a player can choose to go wherever he likes as a FA, then a club can trade a contracted player to whomever they choose, without the players consent.

As a code, we are just not that mature yet.
This is not true. We are in the best position possible because staying in Adelaide, or going to North are all options on the table. We should not be just doing the deal with Collingwood unless they pay overs, as they should given the situation.

Port are literally in the best position possible. The only thing that would improve the overall position is if the Kangas had F/S or NGA picks in the top few and so pick 2 meant nothing to them.

Last edited:
Judging from what Power supporters are rating Houston, Port still say no.
Maybe we send both Daicos brothers as a sweetener.

Yes port fans are being totally unreasonable expecting 2 1sts for a contracted AA player.

Btw, how unreasonable do you think the requests for

6 + 2nd rioli
10 and 11 for Bolton
15 + 2nd (actually think they asked for 2 1sts ?) barrass

How the F*** can a club (Collingwood) without a current F1 pick trade an average player (Noble) and end up with a B2B AA upgrade in Houston. Absolutely bullied and an embarrassment to the league - we've gone out early and demanded two firsts and then end up with this proposed haul. Actually cannot believe it.
The incredible thing is what stops us from getting routed by the Pies could actually be the SUNS standing up for themselves and not giving in to their ridiculous demands.

Dimma still doing real Port things.

Exactly. Don't trade. Show some balls for once. The club may actually gain some respect for once.
Cant see it happening but agree if Port do hold him, it will change people perspective of them.
I lived in Adelaide and moved back to Victoria in May, so I have seen how Port get viewed from both lenses, including media.
Houston to Pies would be a nice to have but I am unfazed either way.

If Port said "its ok, we will keep you" that would certainly gain instant respect.
It is well known that I hate Port (even more than Carlton strangely enough) but I would tip my hat at that move, as it would be awesome.
Maybe that is the thing, we all expect Port to fold (most of you probably do also), so imagine the surprise if Port just said "bad luck-no trade" The Vic media would go into meltdown from all the backtracking.

Again, I cant see it happening but a piece of me hopes it does.
Just for the melts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly. Don't trade. Show some balls for once. The club may actually gain some respect for once.
This is looking like the best option from here. It's the best result for the team - Houston is contracted and a top 3 player. Plus it'll help improve our reputation as pushovers at the trade table, which is much more valuable long term than doing 1 deal.

He may well end up leaving next year, but we'll have another prime career 12 months from an AA, and still get decent value with a 2 year contract. But he may well also decide the moment has passed and decide to stay.

There is no way Rioli is worth pick 6, let alone 6 and 13. That is just nonsense.
My personal opinion (not that it means much, same as everybody else on Bigfooty) is that Houston is worth more than Rioli.
A fair bit more also.

That being said however, Richmond are in a better position because GC has the better picks, the Hardwick connection and well they just are.

Port unfortunately are not as blessed this time around.
Yes they could tell him to stay. But we all know clubs these days dont do that.
Be it culture, be it AFLPA pressure, who know, it just doesn't happen.

Port could send him to North but Dan may not want that. Personally I think players have too much power.

Eventually we may get to a position where if a player can choose to go wherever he likes as a FA, then a club can trade a contracted player to whomever they choose, without the players consent.

As a code, we are just not that mature yet.
Why are you acting like Melbourne, Carlton and St Kilda don't exist? Even the Blues have been less ridiculous than the Pies, and I was laughing my ass off at them last week.

We literally hold all the cards here and have no reason to even speak to Collingwood. The fact that we are is likely moreso to do with the fact that we have a Collingwood man on our board and our GM of football is desperate to get to Collingwood too.

Righto mate, yes new to the thread, but just passing on news that I trust (particularly surrounding the tour last night). I'm just as pissed as everyone here if they go and fold this early, after talking a big show and demanding nothing less than 2 R1 picks. Shouldn't have to take unders on a contracted B2B AA
You are clearly just a troll account created to stir shit.

Any trade week result where we give up Houston and our F1 and only get one first rounder back (23 doesn't count) is an automatic massive fail. I don't care how many Jack Lukosius' or Joe Richards' or second rounders you throw in on top.

Remember when I said we'd only get a pick around 15 for Houston and y'all thumbs downed me ...

Why are you acting like Melbourne, Carlton and St Kilda don't exist? Even the Blues have been less ridiculous than the Pies, and I was laughing my ass off at them last week.

We literally hold all the cards here and have no reason to even speak to Collingwood. The fact that we are is likely moreso to do with the fact that we have a Collingwood man on our board and our GM of football is desperate to get to Collingwood too.
CARDONE THE SPY. F*CK OFF CARDONE TO THE PIES.

There's no way the Houston deal gets done today unless there is a massive backflip on both sides - and the odds of that happening are remote.

As of last night neither side was giving an inch and based on what I've been told it's not too dissimilar from the Nick Stevens negotiations in 2003.

There's no way the Houston deal gets done today unless there is a massive backflip on both sides - and the odds of that happening are remote.

As of last night neither side was giving an inch and based on what I've been told it's not too dissimilar from the Nick Stevens negotiations in 2003.
Thanks for the updates chewy. Do you think port will hold firm on the commitment to keep him or do you get the feeling we might be the ‘good guy’ as usual and take less than we deserve to maintain goodwill?
Do you know how stuff with North sits in this at all?

So you are suggesting that Houston lied when he said he'd stay at Port if no trade could be done or am I interpreting your comment incorrectly?

Remember when I said we'd only get a pick around 15 for Houston and y'all thumbs downed me ...

If we give up a F1 as part of this deal without getting 2 1st rounders back, we haven't really even gotten that.

If we get 13 but give a F1, they effectively cancel each other out, so we'd be looking at

Out: Houston
In: Lukosius, pick 23, Richards

Absolutely disgusting if he was uncontracted, let alone when he's got 3 years on his deal.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Dan Houston requests trade to Victoria - will stay if deal can't be done

Remove this Banner Ad

Back