List Mgmt. Dan Houston requests trade to Victoria - will stay if deal can't be done

Remove this Banner Ad

North Melbourne are exploring the possibility of trading for Essendon’s pick nine in a potential deal that could blow the Dan Houston race wide open. The Kangaroos are among the clubs chasing Houston’s signature, along with Collingwood and Carlton, and continue to look for ways to force their way to the front of the queue, even if the Blues and Pies loom as his preferred destinations.
Western Bulldogs, who want strong draft compensation from Geelong for Bailey Smith, are considered unlikely to force their way in despite previously meeting with Houston.
Two list management sources, who were granted anonymity to speak about trade matters, told this masthead that North would be prepared to part with their future first-round pick to secure the Bombers’ No.9.

The Roos would then be able to use Essendon’s selection as a bargaining chip for Houston, given they are unwilling to part with pick two, according to a separate source, outside “splitting” it for extra first-round draft assets this year.
In the worst-case scenario, North Melbourne would retain two top-10 picks in a strong draft under this outcome.

The problem in all this would be that, apart from pick nine, the Bombers have only No.31 in this year’s draft. They could gain an extra selection if Jake Stringer agrees to be traded to Greater Western Sydney. Houston, an All-Australian the past two years, wants to return to Melbourne, but has not nominated a club and has four years left on his Port Adelaide contract.

9 alone vs 13 23 and Richards!?
I would take the second of these, but it feels like a long shot that Collingwood would be able to get that much off of gc, and be willing to offer it. I don’t think 9 alone is a high enough pick either. 9 and 25 at a stretch but even that’s unders. North still might be able to split pick 2 and give us a later first along with 9…

I would take the second of these, but it feels like a long shot that Collingwood would be able to get that much off of gc, and be willing to offer it. I don’t think 9 alone is a high enough pick either. 9 and 25 at a stretch but even that’s unders. North still might be able to split pick 2 and give us a later first along with 9…

Should be asking north to trade for dons 9,

Trade pick 2 to Richmond for 6, 18 (after they get it from Freo)

Give us 9 and 18.

North get pick 6 to use on the kpp they want, and Houston who improves them out of sight, and nailing a player of his calibre signals to the afl world that they should be taken seriously now and are an option for players besides guys looking for games or a payday.

Richmond get pick 2 so they pick the first 2 talents in the draft.

Could even it up around with mid to late pick swaps

It’s so fair it’s amazing it hasn’t happened already, and it won’t happen, because why would they when there’s the potential to rip port off instead.

I'd still take pick 9 and 25 over 13, 23 and Richards. We can get Richards separately and in the process won't have to send Dan to the club that snubbed us of Perryman, the prison bars AND couldn't convince CD to leave which would've helped to advance change at PAFC quicker.

Deal with Norf, not with Cauliflower, thank you.

I'd still take pick 9 and 25 over 13, 23 and Richards. We can get Richards separately and in the process won't have to send Dan to the club that snubbed us of Perryman, the prison bars AND couldn't convince CD to leave which would've helped to advance change at PAFC quicker.

Deal with Norf, not with Cauliflower, thank you.

I agree 9 and 25 is better than the Richmond offer. I think between 9 and 13 we could lose a cpl of players off the board we might like.

Cal Twomey says it's between Collingwood and North

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1242795

DAN HOUSTON​

It's gotten complicated. Houston's options have narrowed down to either going to Collingwood or North Melbourne, or staying at Port Adelaide, where he is contracted for another four years. Ultimately Port will make the call dependent on if an offer comes through with strong enough draft outcomes in this year's pool to let the dual All-Australian go. Collingwood needs Gold Coast's pick 13 to have any hope of landing Houston but doesn't want to trade any other draft capital, as well as Joe Richards, to Port as part of the deal. The Pies have a six-year offer on the table for him. North also has a five-year deal for Houston and remains very keen. If the Roos can turn their future first-round pick into an early draft choice this year, which they have been working on for some time, they will get in the lead for the half-back. The Magpies are keen to tie Houston into the Richards move to Port, the John Noble trade to Gold Coast and the Jack Lukosius shift to the Power, but the clubs are also open to doing each deal independently of the other.

Sackings actually need to happen especially with our desperation to get a FRP in this draft after we traded the pick for depth players in last year's draft knowing that it would be a super draft.
Well heads need to roll if this deal goes pear shaped.
I can’t understand the confusion, it’s all very simple.
Dan being 2 time AA and a current AA tells anyone with half a brain that the starting price is two first round picks and no we don’t want the second one closer to 30 than 20.
That’s the minimum CD, your job is to try and squeeze out a player thrown in but don’t come home with less than 2 first rounders.
That’s basically the end of the conversation, have a good time and will see you when you’re back.
Hopefully this is the way it is.

Dan being 2 time AA and a current AA tells anyone with half a brain that the starting price is two first round picks and no we don’t want the second one closer to 30 than 20.
That’s the minimum CD, your job is to try and squeeze out a player thrown in but don’t come home with less than 2 first rounders.
That’s basically the end of the conversation, have a good time and will see you when you’re back.
And in our leadership group

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with everything you’ve said except I think we all know what’s going to happen. We’re going to accept some unfavorable deal at the last minute and come up with some ridiculous excuse that it’s a godfather deal or something similar as happened the last couple of trade periods.

So the two frontrunners have six and five year contracts on the table, yet one has virtually no draft capital and the other doesn't think he's worth their first. How does this work again?

I'm guessing we're seen as pushovers. Hopefully come the pointy end both will put on their adult pants and do it properly.

And in our leadership group
Well it seriously shouldn’t be a problem, everyone should be on the same page when it comes to Dan and what is acceptable.
You don’t have to be Einstein to work it out,if we fk this up the club is doomed for years.
They must have all had a pow wow and discussed what the requirements are.
They can’t be that stupid can they? 🤪

Agree with everything you’ve said except I think we all know what’s going to happen. We’re going to accept some unfavorable deal at the last minute and come up with some ridiculous excuse that it’s a godfather deal or something similar as happened the last couple of trade periods.
Well I’d be disappointed to say the least.
That would only enforce my long term view that no matter who’s coaching us with the people we have running things nothing will change.
We will never be successful if these trud heads can’t sort out a simple business deal like this.
Time will tell.

Starting to think this deal doesn't get done.

The valuation port has on Houston is much higher than the potential buyers valuations.

As things head towards deadline maybe that gap becomes smaller, but feel it is unlikely.

The valuation port has on Houston is much higher than the potential buyers valuations.

As things head towards deadline maybe that gap becomes smaller, but feel it is unlikely.
If it don’t get done I can live with that no problems.
Sometimes doing nothing is better than doing something.

The only party that has valued Houston fairly so far is North Melbourne. Has why it comes down to how much Houston wants to go to Kangas. Is it really for his girlfriend or are there other reasons?

The valuation Collingwood are putting on him is basically the position if he was out of contract & nominated them and thus you are dealing with all they can rattle up. It's really a silly position to put ourselves in.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Dan Houston requests trade to Victoria - will stay if deal can't be done

Remove this Banner Ad

Back