News Ivan Soldo's trade to St Kilda falls through

Remove this Banner Ad

He's a very handy backup and may even challenge for the starting spot again. Certainly not the end of the world if it doesn't go through.

I was content to keep him until a few minutes ago when I saw him post an Instagram story indicating he's at a Victorian Young Liberals event.

He’s worth more to us at the club than whatever pick we’d get for him as long as we don’t have a bulging salary cap.

That's still a lot to pay a backup ruck. Can't see anyone going after him as their #1 so he was relying on a team like St Kilda that might've thought they could play two.

It evens out because neither Sweet or Dante would be on big money.

One thing I'm not concerned in the slightest is Port's ability to manage the cap.

Puts off other clubs though?

Not necessarily. Plenty of Clubs will write a player off due to their medical whilst other teams will give the green bill of health to the same player.

He's a very handy backup and may even challenge for the starting spot again. Certainly not the end of the world if it doesn't go through.

I was content to keep him until a few minutes ago when I saw him post an Instagram story indicating he's at a Victorian Young Liberals event.
Hahahaha I just checked it and what the ****? It’s completely true 😭😭😭

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Dixon retired

Surely we can run a soldo and sweet team.
Anybody who makes this dumbass suggestion should be forced to rewatch the Collingwood game from earlier this year Clockwork Orange style. We tried it, both Sweet and Soldo had by far their worst games of the year, and we lost embarrassingly.

Anybody who makes this dumbass suggestion should be forced to rewatch the Collingwood game from earlier this year Clockwork Orange style. We tried it, both Sweet and Soldo had by far their worst games of the year, and we lost embarrassingly.
The two prong ruck dalliances have been an utter failure during Hinkley's entire tenure even with Ryder who was the best part time forward of the lot.

The two prong ruck dalliances have been an utter failure during Hinkley's entire tenure even with Ryder who was the best part time forward of the lot.
It's not just during 'Hinkley's tenure'. This isn't a Hinkley problem. It's everywhere. Melbourne had two All-Australian rucks on their list last year and even they couldn't make it work.

It's not just during 'Hinkley's tenure'. This isn't a Hinkley problem. It's everywhere. Melbourne had two All-Australian rucks on their list last year and even they couldn't make it work.
Yea I'm not sure two lumberers suit the current game, and it seems to me a number 1 ruck likes the work/responsibility and drops off in two prong setups.

I also think the ability of rucks to play forward has well dropped off in the last decade or so.

Through the 90s 2000’s it seemed like nearly every team had rucks who were dangerous when forward.

Rucks that had say, rowan Marshall’s ability forward were entirely common, rather than say, just being the one rowan marshall lol.

actually marking in general seems to be a skill rucks barely know exists. Probably cause they spend 95% of their development working on time trials / trying to be mids rather than skill sets that might actually make use of their height.

We can point to gameplan changing, which would be accurate , but still, I would be immensely more confident in any of primus / lade / brogan taking a mark than most of the rucks going around today not to mention the mark averse rucks we’ve fielded.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Ivan Soldo's trade to St Kilda falls through

Remove this Banner Ad

Back