List Mgmt. Dan Houston requests trade to Victoria - will stay if deal can't be done

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reason 4356 On why the AFL sucks.

Trade Week.

Malbun "Footy Industry Experts" talk shit for 10 days about virtually nothing, over rate Victorian Players, Under rate Non Vic Players, claim to be "in the Know", arbutrary opinions on what a player is worth, their "draft currency", Future Picks, Points blah blah blah blah

Cal Twomey is actually a thing.

Bigfooty Mum's basement types coming up with ridiculous trade scenarios acting like Russel Crowe in A Beautiful Mind.

Its a massive pile of shit.

Unsure what we want from north.

I don’t see their future first as being anywhere near enough, too much risk it ends up being pick 8 alone. Why do that for Dan ?

Don’t want pick 2 alone either, don’t rate the top end of this draft that much that I would take just one pick.

Would tell north to get us 2 1sts with at least one being top 12. Happy for either both in this draft or one in the future is fine as long as we have one in this draft.
If we accepted pick 2 from NM, I suspect it would be because we've already lined up a trade to split it into 2 later picks.

If Gc accept 23 for Luko then 13, Luko, Richards isn’t the end of the world, its passable

Passable? Barely.

Barely passable for a contracted star who has openly stated he’s willing to stay in an offseason of other departures around the league like Rioli for pick 6 + a second , barrass and his cooked back for pick 15 + a second, and Bolton for picks 10,11 or 10,18 is lie down and play dead stuff.

If we’re getting less for Dan than teams are getting for Rioli and Bolton, and around the mark of what barrass “buyer beware” are then somethings wrong.

Bolton is the absolute floor comparison of what we should be accepting. If we can’t point to that and say, that’s the price then we have no spine.

If Gc accept 23 for Luko then 13, Luko, Richards isn’t the end of the world, its passable

Agreed, a lot hinges on the currency GC will require.

I don't know why we can't just loop into the Noble + Future 1st for 13 + 23 part of the trade and make it a 3 way:

Port Out: Houston
Port In: 13, Lukosius, Richards

GC Out: 13, Lukosius
GC In: F1 (Coll), Noble

Coll Out: F1, Richards, Noble
Coll In: Houston

Possibly because Houston behind the scenes is pushing a lot harder for Carlton than Collingwood?

I don't know why we can't just loop into the Noble + Future 1st for 13 + 23 part of the trade and make it a 3 way:

Possibly because Houston behind the scenes is pushing a lot harder for Carlton than Collingwood?

Because we get reamed so pies can get overs for noble?

I understand that teams want to get players traded for unders but this is Dan Houston we're talking about and it will take time but the offers will ramp up to where they should be and more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not comparable. Hinkley's comments this year "maybe we're not good enough" and Davies denigration of the list shortly thereafter to try and justify their continued positions as the most unsuccessful coach in VFL/AFL history and General Manager of Football is nothing compared to supporters critiquing or taking out frustrations on a footy forum.
Chris Davies has been very clear that he’s not giving up Houston for less than what he’s worth. Effectively three clubs trying to come up with the best deal with Davies saying he’s in no rush - if they’re clever they’ll let it run down to the last day of the trade period. Dan not nominating a club was fantastic for us - not sure how you can fault the way this is playing out.

GC said no to the Pies, for F1 + Noble offer for their 13 &23, said it was worth 13 only.
Next-Step: The pies need to pony up their offer to the GC

Chris Davies has been very clear that he’s not giving up Houston for less than what he’s worth. Effectively three clubs trying to come up with the best deal with Davies saying he’s in no rush - if they’re clever they’ll let it run down to the last day of the trade period. Dan not nominating a club was fantastic for us - not sure how you can fault the way this is playing out.
No reason to think Melbourne couldnt come back in either. Or even another side with a leftfield play. There are 10 clubs in Victoria

At this juncture, no offer is satisfactory, so Dan is staying put as far as I'm concerned.

Would hang up the phone on Carlton's offer.

If the Wobblers said 13 + 23 + a future 2nd I'd be tempted. We could use the F2 for Luko. Then package what we get for Soldo with 13 to get a top 10 pick this year.

Get Richards separately with what we get by trading someone like Clurey or Williams out.

Leaves us with top 10, 23, 36 and late picks for matching any F/S's and Barrett (at least 2 F/S's will be rookies anyway).

Alternatively, we wrangle something better from North, who appear to be reasonable after the deal we both agreed to for JHF.
The Port & North list managers get on very well together where all the JHF trade noises were from their feral supporters and not the North management team.

So 11 and 13 for Houston? Plus whatever other pick exchange sorcery Cripps is conjuring, possibly including Luko.

Last edited:
You can't really.

We're all just sitting here terrified though that we wont extract amazing value and will roll over and just take what we're offered.

Realistically I think Carlton's 12 + if they can get the 13, would be around the mark. I'd take that. When you hear though that Carlton are onlt planning on just one of those coming our way though, it gets you nervous the other clubs aren't serious and we shouldn't be accepting it, but I feel like at the deadline we will just take it. I'd rather Dan stay in Adelaide though if we aren't getting a deal like that.

No reason to think Melbourne couldnt come back in either. Or even another side with a leftfield play. There are 10 clubs in Victoria
I agree with this, even St Kilda could offload its contentious Battle pick, which is like a free hit and worth more than Carlton and Collingwoods offers.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Dan Houston requests trade to Victoria - will stay if deal can't be done

Remove this Banner Ad

Back