News Dan Houston traded to Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m not sure I’m that thrilled with what the Roos were offering. They could drastically improve next year with Parker and Houston coming in so that Future first may not be that early.

I’d much rather we try leverage pick 2 from them or keep Houston.
Totally agree. I don’t want their future first. I think it will still be a single digits pick but in a weaker draft. The angle needs to be around pick 2. Wether we get that and give something or wether they trade down and give us some of what they get.

West Coast must not value pick 3 that highly or value whoever they’ll take at 12, or at least a combination of Baker and the player they take at 12.

On face value, that’s not the best deal. Especially given they could have waked baker to the draft and got Owies as a DFA.
But they could have got Baker for 14 by trading Barrass and keeping pick 3!

No wonder their supporters are exploding, seems all the Vic clubs winning trade period 2024

Wasn't Campbell Brown offered as part of the Shaun Burgoyne, to start with, and this was knocked on the head by the board after fan backlash.
Campbell Brown had signed for GC in that secret signing period GC got from the AFL. When his name was mentioned he cracked the shits publicly to help deflect any chance of a trade, he couldnt say that he had signed for the GC, he fired up the fans and they and Kennett said no way can we trade a premiership player away.

I get a lot of enjoyment out of this board, and a mental release by venting frustrations about the club, but I find the idea that we're influencing list management decisions fanciful to say the least. Just my uninformed opinion.
Yep the nuanced riddled list management area we have the cred to influence whereas the senior coaching area…

This is true but we aren't alone in this space, most of the top picks are mids. Mids just have better strike rates early in the draft.

We haven't had many early picks too. And would've you rather we didn't pick Rozee, Butters, Bergman (plays tall in defence), Georgiades, etc? Lachie Jones was worth matching a bid in the first round too. Sinn is the only one in recent times that seems like a bit of a miss, but there is still hope.

We did draft Tom McCallum with our first pick 2 years ago but that was only pick 36 and he is now already delisted.

I don't necessarily think trading in for talls is a bad strategy either.

Contrary to popular belief i think we got good service from Dixon, good service from Ryder but would've been much better if it wasn't for the Essendon suspension, Lycett was okay, Allir has been great (KPD), Finlayson good considering what we gave up, McKenzie was serviceable too and cost us nothing.

I'm willing to give Esava another year, i think there is still hope for him. We were into Mckay too but he chose another route. It's not like we aren't trying to find solutions.
Agree we are trying to find solutions but it's generally messy. Aliir has been a good pick up. McKenzie I rate highly but I'm talking taller than that. I believe CHB is one of the most important positions on the field to win a flag. Hinkley & the club do not share this belief. This lack of priority of drafting & developing tall top end talent (first round pick) has been there since Hinkley arrived. We continue to pay a high price.

West Coast must not value pick 3 that highly or value whoever they’ll take at 12, or at least a combination of Baker and the player they take at 12.

On face value, that’s not the best deal. Especially given they could have waked baker to the draft and got Owies as a DFA.

West Coast supporters are spewing.

I’m not sure I’m that thrilled with what the Roos were offering. They could drastically improve next year with Parker and Houston coming in so that Future first may not be that early.

I’d much rather we try leverage pick 2 from them or keep Houston.
I agree, the deal must incorporate high end draft picks this year or he goes nowhere. I’m predicting a dip year in 25, anywhere between 8th-15th.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just when you think our potential deal couldn’t be topped for one of the worst trades ever, this one comes in the next day
If you filter out all the crap this trade is essentially 12 & 14 for Pick 3.

The only reason you would do that is if there was nobody in the Top 10 that you are really interested in.

There could be method to their madness but it looks like they have been screwed.

Disagree completely. Collingwood were getting one of the league's elite players for a pick in the teens and chaff.

Collingwood were giving a pick in the teens, a fringe player, a VFL player and a 3rd rounder.

They were getting a guy who has been AA the last 2 years with 3 years on his deal.

Imagine if we were able to trade away pick a pick in the teens, Burton, McEntee and a 3rd rounder and get, say, Errol Gulden. That's the sort of trade we're talking about here.

I think it was GC not paying up.

GC wanting us to take Atkins wage (i hope that was the case and not us asking for him) but we get no discount on lukosious is what made the trade look bad.

Bowes who was a a good young player went with pick 7.

Then to hear Rioli will be traded for pick 6 and 23.

Bigfooty, and especially this board in relation to Port, is where a lot of ideas that spread widely kick off. Most of the hot takes on twitter that get shared around are fostered by opinions shared on this board and the media types like Kornes and Ralph actively scope bigfooty boards out for info and to gauge opinion. Kornes regularly actively trolls against the specific prevailing opinions on this board for engagement, and he's very successful doing so.

Individually posters on this board don't have influence, but us going absolutely nuts in here yesterday spilled out onto other social media and potentially influenced the board's decision to block the trade. The tweets getting shared around about how bad the trade was were full of bigfooty Port board members.

The AFL industry and the media surrounding it isn't that big and literally all of them are reading bigfooty. Our influence isn't massive but we absolutely have the ability to drive public opinion and perceived public opinion.
And wasn't it REH who put up the facts on here that stopped Gibbs going to the Crows as a father/son..

I think they are using the term “board” loosely. Snowden and Tredrea are board members who sit on the football department committee. This group would have to sign off on all player movements, contracts etc.

The proposed deal was likely shot down at this level and, with two active board members on the committee, it’s being exaggerated to “the board said no”.

How could Cripps and Davies tick it off which must have happened for it to get this far.

"Port feel they are being strong-armed into a poor trade by Houston's management group".

The same management group that negotiated a contract tying Houston to Port until the end of 2028?

I don't understand how the club can be strong-armed when it just needs to hold Houston to his contract. Are our people really that lacking in backbone?

Trade him to North, I don't give a shit if that's not where he wants to play. It's in Victoria isn't it?
I strongly suspect that where negotiations are currently at. Port have said that realistically North has the only offer they will accept, so Dan has to make the choice of going to North or staying at Port.

I think it was GC not paying up.

GC wanting us to take Atkins wage (i hope that was the case and not us asking for him) but we get no discount on lukosious is what made the trade look bad.

Bowes who was a a good young player went with pick 7.

Then to hear Rioli will be traded for pick 6 and 23.
The deal stunk in 2 ways firstly Collingwood made out like bandits. Remember they are getting a 2 x All Australian. And the Gold Coast part was just a shitshow where we take a whole load of salary off their hands but still pay full price for Lukosius. It's easier to hate that part but both clubs were trying to screw us.

I could vomit thinking the deal had to go that high to be declined. Surely they’re not that stupid

The only possible explanation (apart from rank stupidity) is that Cripps and Davies are being threatened by Connors re future deals and wanted to say to him ‘we tried our best to make it happen’.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Dan Houston traded to Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back