Trade Requested Dan Houston [UFA 2027] - wants to head to Victoria

Remove this Banner Ad

Curious to see how Carlton gets this done. Clearly a gap between both club valuations and Carlton has its own priorities to fill. North becomes more of a genuine factor the longer this drags on.

Never said they had to trade pick 2. They have future picks. They might split 2.

He’s also 27. Don’t need to keep paddling those close to 30 that’s seemingly all over this thread. Same age as Rioli, he’s what apparently worth 6 and more? His age doesn’t seem to be an issue.

Yes he’d be worth slightly less next year. Instead of 2 firsts, it may be a first and a second. However he’s still contracted and won’t suddenly just become cheap as it’s 12 months down the road.

Adelaide paid 2 firsts for a 29 year old Gibbs… players still retain value in their twenties
So he will be 29 years old in 2026 and close to 30 which was what I said. The Gibbs trade ended up around pick 10 and 3 rounder which was overs for him in hindsight, Houston's value is around pick 10.

So he will be 29 years old in 2026 and close to 30 which was what I said. The Gibbs trade ended up around pick 10 and 3 rounder which was overs for him in hindsight, Houston's value is around pick 10.

His value is what the club decides it is as a contracted player for multiple years and a required player. It is absolutely reasonable to be asking what we are for a player of his calibre.

He won’t suddenly just become cheap if we hold him for 12 months and we’re back at the table again. He will still coast a first and more.

Nah, joking aside, in reality a trade only gets done if he goes to North.

Carlton and Port are way too far apart in terms of expectations of this deal. Carlton”we won’t give pick 11” port “we won’t trade unless 2 first rounders”

Just won’t happen. North is the only hope of getting Dan.
Carlton will come to the party with pick 11 (or pick 12).. and that will get the ball rolling on the deal..

Houston has already made the decision

His first preference is Carlton. His second is North/another Vic club. His third is staying at Port to his contract.

Carlton fans in this thread are losing their minds because club power is higher than player power and they can't get him cheap.
No we’re losing our minds on other players/possibilities in our sweaty trade-dream-state.

Houston’s a nice player - albeit he’s an old-ish half back flanker who doesn’t fit any of our three primary needs;

• KPD to support Weitering
  • crafty crumbing small forward
  • powerful & pacey mid

We already have a bunch of current & young HBF’s, even pushing Zac Williams to the forward line to get him a game.

Nobody’s losing their mind over an old-ish HBF - Port fans aside.

Nothing better during trade period than the spin people like to use when describing someone's age. Can't just say a guy is 27 when you can say that in 2026 this person will almost be 30
ferris buellers day off movie quotes GIF

Guess Carlton should be looking to offload Cripps since he actually will be 30 next year? Rather than worrying about the space time continuum in 2.5 years time.

When you are getting a top shelf player in their absolute prime, a couple years is what can make the difference between a flag or not. Houston will have 5-7 years of top level footy left (assuming no injuries). You’re not trading for a player that’s got 2 years left then put on the scrap heap.

Anyway, Cripps will be 30 so he’s up for grabs for a second rounder I guess? Need to offload those old boys for some draftees.

Nothing better during trade period than the spin people like to use when describing someone's age. Can't just say a guy is 27 when you can say that in 2026 this person will almost be 30
Saying Dan is 27 wouldn't suit the narrative his value in Carlton's eyes is Matt Owies and a future second.

Guess Carlton should be looking to offload Cripps since he actually will be 30 next year? Rather than worrying about the space time continuum in 2.5 years time.

When you are getting a top shelf player in their absolute prime, a couple years is what can make the difference between a flag or not. Houston will have 5-7 years of top level footy left (assuming no injuries). You’re not trading for a player that’s got 2 years left then put on the scrap heap.

Anyway, Cripps will be 30 so he’s up for grabs for a second rounder I guess? Need to offload those old boys for some draftees.
Haha nice one.

I suppose the difference between Cripps & Houston (Brownlows aside) is Cripps doesn’t want to leave his club.

Houston can’t see his future at PA & wants to get the hell out of there.

Unlikely that Houston moves & he’ll have to stew in Kenny’s world for a little longer.

Reckon Carlton will find another first round pick and then we will be OK with sending across Pick 11 with some change.

Surely the pick for either Owies or Kennedy would be sufficient with a first rounder, but I'd be interested to see how invested we are in getting a trade done. Houston might not fill a role we need, but I suspect we're still more than happy to have him and could use his kicking skills and line breaking ability.

He could just about play the role and be the player Williams was meant to be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon Carlton will find another first round pick and then we will be OK with sending across Pick 11 with some change.

Surely the pick for either Owies or Kennedy would be sufficient with a first rounder, but I'd be interested to see how invested we are in getting a trade done. Houston might not fill a role we need, but I suspect we're still more than happy to have him and could use his kicking skills and line breaking ability.

By some change you mean another first rounder than sounds good to us

Seems a counterintuitive to spend a first round pick on getting a 27yo to fill a role that doesn't need filling.

Nice avatar/username btw. Their 2001 Melbourne Big Day Out performance was probably the formative concert experience of my life. Left me obsessed for months afterwards.

Seems a counterintuitive to spend a first round pick on getting a 27yo to fill a role that doesn't need filling.

Nice avatar/username btw. Their 2001 Melbourne Big Day Out performance was probably the formative concert experience of my life. Left me obsessed for months afterwards.
You can always find spots in your best 22 for quality players.

If Houston came on board we'd find ways of adapting to suit. Currently our ball movement and transition is quite stagnant, so he would help with that part of the game, and we'd likely shuffle our lineup - maybe have Boyd play deeper etc.

We also have Newman to replace in the coming years, so he'd take over his role long term.

Yeh I'm a big ATDI fan. RoC is my all time favourite album.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Dan Houston [UFA 2027] - wants to head to Victoria

Remove this Banner Ad

Back