Trade Requested Dan Houston [UFA 2027] - wants to head to Victoria

Remove this Banner Ad

Port and Blues make out like bandits.

Blues perhaps would need to add more but couldn’t be bothered looking at their picks.

Certainly wouldn’t say we make out like bandits in that situation.

Houston’s worth would be on point at about picks 6 and 20. Luko is on point at about 20.

Therefor Houston for 6 and Luko (then us putting in an extra later pick as well), certainly doesn’t = making out like bandits.

It remains insanity that in the same trade period, Rioli is worth pick 6 plus+ but Houston is only pick 13 and steak knives.

In reality, it should be a 4 way trade between Port, Suns, Blues and Tigers however that won’t happen as they’ll demand 6 as we should be demanding they find a top 10 pick.

Port
Give: Houston, F3
Receive: 6, Luko

GC
Give: 6, 23, Luko
Receive: Rioli, Blues F2, Port F3

Rich:
Give: Rioli
Receive: 23, Blues F1

Blues
Give: F1, F2
Receive: Houston
Look I truly believe Houston is worth around 10-13. The Rioli haul is absolute madness and 10 and 11 for Bolton? WTF Must be lovely to have the media do your bidding

Look I truly believe Houston is worth around 10-13. The Rioli haul is absolute madness and 10 and 11 for Bolton? WTF Must be lovely to have the media do your bidding
Houston is certainly worth more than Rioli at least

Yeah absolutely but in this example Rioli isn’t worth that
You can attach whatever values you like to the respective players. I don't think Port would be out of line requesting two firsts for Houston (with something going back). I do think pick 6 for Rioli is ridiculous though.

I think that the idea is port has enough respect for Dan that they will try everything they can to get a deal done with his preferred clubs. But if none of them come to the party with a realistic offer it will get interesting for sure.

I think he will end up at the Kangaroo's. If he is that desperate to get to Victoria then that's where he should go if it works for Port. The money will turn his head eventually.

The same amount as James Sicily, Jordan Clark & Daniel Rioli too.

Tell us you don't understand footy by referring to brownlow votes for defenders.
Sicily is a BnF winner, and Rioli is also bog average.

I'd take Clark over Houston any day, blokes 23:

Houston:
23.1 Disposals, 5.4 Marks, 488 m per game @ 82% DE

Clark:
24.7 Disposals, 6.8 Marks, 441 m per game @ 82% DE

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sicily is a BnF winner, and Rioli is also bog average.

I'd take Clark over Houston any day, blokes 23:

Houston:
23.1 Disposals, 5.4 Marks, 488 m per game @ 82% DE

Clark:
24.7 Disposals, 6.8 Marks, 441 m per game @ 82% DE
Freo whole back line have inflated stats due to their game plan. The stats you didn’t include are 1on1 defensive losses, score launches, turnovers, score involvements and goals.

I agree 100%, but whatever way you split it, Port will get less return for Dan by dealing with Carlton vs North.

Sure. North are clearly in a position to offer the most in exchange for Houston.

Which is exactly why I’m ruling them out.

If it was about who could offer the best deal, he’d have nominated them straight away.

That's the crazy thing in my mind about this trading (not just this trade but generally speaking in AFL), the guys under a contract and Port will acquiesce and take a lesser deal for Dan because he wants to play in a team that will play finals (who they will compete with) and play with his mate Silvangi!

Maybe im a hard ass but I would be saying to him, we will let you go to Melbourne but your playing for the team we get the best deal for. Or you can stay.

The system is broken. But there is no perfect system and if you fix that part, other parts break.

Ultimately, players have the right to choose who they work for, just as you or I do.

It’s unfortunate for Port, but they got a number of great years out of him and will be well compensated.

Of course…they could hold him to his contract, but I don’t think they will. Not when there are clubs willing to pay.

In reality, it should be a 4 way trade between Port, Suns, Blues and Tigers however that won’t happen as they’ll demand 6 as we should be demanding they find a top 10 pick.

Rich:
Give: Rioli
Receive: 23, Blues F1

With Richmond & GC having the assets to get the Rioli deal done independently why would they be involved in a 4 way deal ?

Can you explain how this benefits Richmond to get involved?

Sure. North are clearly in a position to offer the most in exchange for Houston.

Which is exactly why I’m ruling them out.

If it was about who could offer the best deal, he’d have nominated them straight away.
Well it depends as long as his want is to return to melb it may not matter how or where he goes. I mean he hasn’t requested a trade to the blues specifically although it is likely his preference. As a north fan obviously I’d like to have him but I won’t be too disappointed if we miss because I think he’ll command a premium. I hate being a 10% chance to get him because it affects our interest in other deals

With Richmond & GC having the assets to get the Rioli deal done independently why would they be involved in a 4 way deal ?

Can you explain how this benefits Richmond to get involved?

As I said, it won’t happen.

Its purely hypothetical proposal as Houston is worth more than Rioli.

It’s ridiculous that he receives 6 and Houston is apparently at 13.

The proposed trade is closer to their true value however it of course won’t be happening and the reality is that their worth is reversed.

Well it depends as long as his want is to return to melb it may not matter how or where he goes. I mean he hasn’t requested a trade to the blues specifically although it is likely his preference. As a north fan obviously I’d like to have him but I won’t be too disappointed if we miss because I think he’ll command a premium. I hate being a 10% chance to get him because it affects our interest in other deals

Nice idea in theory, but there is always a preference.

I strongly suspect his preference is Carlton, but I don’t believe that will be made public until Carlton are in a position to get a trade done.

We know Carlton’s stance on their 2024 1st. Maybe they soften, but I doubt it.

We also know Carlton are actively looking to get another 2024 1st.

Do that and the path is clear. I suspect they will do it and perhaps overpay for it to be done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Dan Houston [UFA 2027] - wants to head to Victoria

Remove this Banner Ad

Back