Trade Requested Dan Houston [UFA 2027] - Wants to head to Victoria

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly, and we're paying for it now. Difference is at least he was a FA. Houston will cost the Pies their first plus change.

See you all in 2 years when the Pies are not in contention, have no good young kids coming through and have to rebuild in a compromised draft.
Well said it’s really not a good time at all to be trading out future draft capital with compromised drafts only a couple seasons away , Collingwood would want to win a premiership out of it otherwise it could backfire in a bad way!

Well said it’s really not a good time at all to be trading out future draft capital with compromised drafts only a couple seasons away , Collingwood would want to win a premiership out of it otherwise it could backfire in a bad way!
I have said it before and will say it again.

Draft picks are a lottery. Even top 10 picks can be hit and miss compared to say rookie selections.

Trading for proven guns, like Houston, and free agency is a more proven way to stay relevant. I get the narrative about pies trading their future away, but I think it is a false narrative with some of our drafting being more successful later in the draft In recent years.

Another week of this shit ffs.

My dream scenario..

Pick Collingwood, blow up their list strategy, miss the 8. Bloke is good, but seriously overrated.

Pies will have 1.8mil plus a year locked up in 2 HB flankers. One averaged 18 touches a game this year, the other has likely peaked.
Thank you for your concerns.
God bless.

One of the more interesting trades in years really. 13, low 20s and Richards is effectively the best Port are getting from Pies. I think that's a pretty reasonable return for Houston, just Suns being Suns with Rioli makes it feel worse.

I would think that is the absolute minimum though and Port should be telling Houston it's North or he stays if they dont get at least that.

F1 and Noble for 13 and 23 is some Bigfooty nuffy trade where you justify F1 is close to the value for 13 and Noble close to 23 when in reality, they are both unders and together, massive unders. Really, none of the power should be with the two big Vic teams here, interested to see what the final price is, they should be the ones being extorted, not the other way around.

Ralph says Carlton has "all but been ruled out of the race".

Key pars:

Collingwood is still the resounding favourite to secure Dan Houston as it is urged to hand over pick 23 as well as No.13 to secure the dual All Australian Port Adelaide defender.
Carlton has now all but been ruled out of the race for Houston given its determination to return to the draft, with extensive meetings on Wednesday between Houston’s management, Port Adelaide and Collingwood.
North Melbourne is still in a distant second place but not officially out of the race given it is prepared to hand over a future first-rounder for Houston.
The 27-year-old is keen to play for Collingwood and if the Pies relent on some of their trade demands they will get that deal done by the end of the trade period.
He has not officially declared he wants to play for the Pies given he needs to keep his options open but Collingwood is confident he is their preferred destination.
Collingwood would like to hand over John Noble and the Pies future first-rounder for Gold Coast’s picks 13 and 23, but the Suns are not happy with that deal.
In the end the Pies might have to hand over another later selection to get that deal done.

Even if the Pies hand over "another later selection", that's a daft deal for both GC and Port, but sure.

My dream scenario..

Pick Collingwood, blow up their list strategy, miss the 8. Bloke is good, but seriously overrated.

Pies will have 1.8mil plus a year locked up in 2 HB flankers. One averaged 18 touches a game this year, the other has likely peaked.
Pies add Perryman and Houston. Blues add Haynes. Levels.

The truth is Carlton can’t manage to fit Houston in and are going back to the draft as a means to reset their salary cap. Kennedy and Young made available to make things work but not successful.

One of the more interesting trades in years really. 13, low 20s and Richards is effectively the best Port are getting from Pies. I think that's a pretty reasonable return for Houston, just Suns being Suns with Rioli makes it feel worse.

I would think that is the absolute minimum though and Port should be telling Houston it's North or he stays if they dont get at least that.

F1 and Noble for 13 and 23 is some Bigfooty nuffy trade where you justify F1 is close to the value for 13 and Noble close to 23 when in reality, they are both unders and together, massive unders. Really, none of the power should be with the two big Vic teams here, interested to see what the final price is, they should be the ones being extorted, not the other way around.
There is no way Pies are getting anything close to 13 and 23 for Noble and F1.

Noble alone is not worth 23.

Draft picks are a lottery. Even top 10 picks can be hit and miss compared to say rookie selections.

Trading for proven guns, like Houston, and free agency is a more proven way to stay relevant. I get the narrative about pies trading their future away, but I think it is a false narrative with some of our drafting being more successful later in the draft In recent years.
If houst

in some cases I agree if it’s for a player that’s going to get you to the next level from contender but I’m not sure Houston is that player his not a star midfielder or match winning forward his a good half back , that’s turning 28 . With a aging list and compromised drafts coming I’m not sure it’s smart list management

My dream scenario..

As you have said so yourself, it is all just a dream…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely no idea. Houston is worth more IMO but Rioli at 6 is just insane to me.
The weirdest part is that since day 1 of the Rioli to the Suns rumours starting the narrative in the media has been a consensus agreement that pick 6 will be in the deal. This in absolutely bonkers, outside of our man Kaneo hammering the Suns I feel like they have been let off the hook massively here.

Pies rate Richards, as apparently your club does as well, so the mid 40s pick is a poor take.

I understand Houston is contracted and an absolute gun, so port shouldn't let him go for something they don't like in a trade, and I get that.
Isn’t Richards out of contract?

9 games & 25 years old?

What do Collingwood rate him for - cutting oranges?

Isn’t Richards out of contract?

9 games & 25 years old?

What do Collingwood rate him for - cutting oranges?
I probably shouldn't bite, but he is his 2nd year of afl football and had some injuries, especially last season which nearly cost him the whole season.

He is a decent level afl player. That is why Port offered him 3 years.

I don't think he is anywhere near a star, or even at owies level, but he looks a decent player when fit.

If I was port I'd see how desperate dan is to go back to Vic.
Give him the option go home to Vic via North or spend another 12 months in Adelaide with Port

Mull it over and get back to us.

North offering far more to port and even offering more money to dan. See how desperate he is to go back home

Give him the option go home to Vic via North or spend another 12 months in Adelaide with Port

North offering far more to port and even offering more money to dan. See how desperate he is to go back home
Pretty sure that's a human rights violation pal.

And that is totally Port's right as he is contracted.

I would expect the same if he was currently playing for pies, but I also want him so much. I rate him in the top 10 kicks in the comp.

If you asked me what he is worth, it is 12/13 plus an early to mid 20s pick plus a player I also rate in Joe Richards.

However, I try to be an unbiased pies fan.

Ralph - lol

He’s picked up the Age story & run with it.

Lazy!
Maybe, but Collingwood are the front runners now in line for Houstons signature.

If Carlton offered their pick 12 up at the start, deal would have been done by now. Instead the unknown wunderkid draft pick 12 who hasn’t played a game yet is a better option it seems.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Dan Houston [UFA 2027] - Wants to head to Victoria

Remove this Banner Ad

Back