Speculation Dan Houston [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

It is clear Dan wants to get back to Melbourne, but also clear he preferred staying at Port than playing for the Demons.

Given he is contracted, he will need to be flexible to get home and not exclude clubs with the trade capital and willingness to satisfy Port.

Hawthorn's success this year is like 99% down to the elite ball use off half back and their wings..

They have Amon, D'Ambrossio, Scrimshaw, Sicily, Hardwick, Weddle as their distributors off the backline and wings and are now adding Battle to that mix too and another key defender in Barrass.

Saints have...Sinclair, NWM, Jimmy Webster and a 31 year old Brad Hill as their distribution off the backline and wing and they think they're stacked in those areas :/
Who was ranked no.1 in the comp this year for scoring from the back half, despite being ranked 15th for scoring overall?

I’ll save you the suspense. It was…

St Kilda.

The least of our issues, if you knew anything about us, is scoring from the back half/moving the ball down the ground.

Including Webster in that list- when he plays lockdown back pocket- and failing to include Mason Wood- who is bloody good and just signed for 3 more years- along with Liam Henry- who was instrumental in our ball movement when he was on the park- and the young jet Darcy Wilson, just further shows how little you know what you’re talking about re St Kilda.

You'd think some of these other clubs would actually look at what Hawthorn have done so successfully to shoot up the ladder this year. I can tell you it wasn't adding an inside midfield bull.
You mean so that we could play the sort of footy we were playing in the back half of the year, when we finally got our midfield outside of Steele back out on the park, and won 6 of our last 8 games? Including wins over Sydney, Geelong and Carlton?

If you think Paddy Dow, Hunter Clark, Jimmy Webster or Brad Hill at age 31 are the answers and you don't need another elite ball user who is arguably the best half back in the league, can play wing and midfield too, and defends 1 on 1 better than either of NWM or Sinclair you're in la-la land.
Our outside/running brigade is without doubt one of the best in the league, hence being no.1 in the comp for scoring from the back half- despite being 15th for scoring overall- so for us to go spending a top 8 pick and presumably a lot more, to get someone who doesn’t play in the area we are by far the weakest in, and who will be 28yo to boot next year, would IMO be irresponsible.

It would be the Brad Hill situation all over again. Paying way way too much for a guy that isn’t really going to move the needle that much for us, and missing out on some elite young talent in the process.

Hill cost us pick 8 (Serong), a second rounder, and Blake Acres, so with Houston being a dual AA, when Hill wasn’t, Port would presumably demand even more than that.

It would be crazy for us to pay that sort of price for a soon-to-be 28yo, who plays in a position we’re already loaded in, when we have huge needs elsewhere, and aren’t currently in contention.

The Saints link made no sense to me. Houston is too old, especially if he cost more than 7.

I think it only makes sense for teams in contention and I'm guessing none of them have the space and/or picks/desire to get it done.
Exactly, if we do this it screams “club doing a trade so that they look like they’re doing something, even if it makes little sense”.

And if Hill (and change) cost us 8, a 2nd and Acres, you’d have to expect that Dan would cost the two firsts that Port are supposedly demanding.

A club who are not a Dan Houston away from a premiership should not be going anywhere near that type of deal. Especially if he doesn’t play in the area they’re by far in the most need of improving.

do it jewish GIF

Criminally underrated by those wanting to get him cheap.

How close would this get?

Pick 20
Future 1st
Joe Richards

Houston and future 3rd back our way?

How close would this get?

Pick 20
Future 1st
Joe Richards

Houston and future 3rd back our way?
I don't think it's thay far off if Port are open to trading him but I think the crazier thing is getting 20 for Noble...

The Saints link made no sense to me. Houston is too old, especially if he cost more than 7.

I think it only makes sense for teams in contention and I'm guessing none of them have the space and/or picks/desire to get it done.

Makes zero sense for us, we need pure midfielders not half back flankers who can pinch hit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could see it being tied in with the Parish to Port trade rumour going around; if Houston wants out then Parish to Port, Houston to EFC, and some picks changing hands to square up the value.
Unless it is accompanied with your first this year, I can’t see it happening (I don’t see Essendon doing that deal either tbf)

Unless it is accompanied with your first this year, I can’t see it happening (I don’t see Essendon doing that deal either tbf)
Yeah Houston definitely has more value than Parish but can’t see us trading our first for a 27 year old.

Doubt we will even enter the Houston sweepstakes anyways and Parish will be dealt separately if it eventuates.

Another AA for Houston.

Couldnt find Sinclair or NWM in the side though.

Best Half Back in the league.
I was actually quite surprised on the night to see Houston get another jacket last week, just off the gut feel of it, and now that I’ve dug a bit deeper, I’m actually baffled.

Last year he got in off a 62 coaches vote season. Perfectly understandable. No brainer. This year…

26 votes. 26!

Things That Make You Go Hmmm 🤔

Sinclair last year received 77, and this year, 44.

So almost 70% more coaches votes this year than Houston.

121 votes for Sincs and 88 for Houston, across the two years.

Some key stats for the year. Both played 22 games.

Disposals:
Sinclair- 596
Houston- 507

Contested possessions:
Sinclair- 186
Houston- 125

Effective disposals:
Sinclair- 448
Houston- 416

Clearances:
Sinclair- 67
Houston- 31

Centre clearances:
Sinclair- 26
Houston- 8

Ground ball gets:
Sinclair- 151
Houston- 89

F50 ground ball gets:
Sinclair- 11
Houston- 4

Score Involvements
Sinclair- 133
Houston- 108

Pressure acts:
Sinclair- 396
Houston- 292

Running bounces:
Sinclair- 15
Houston- 3

Then there were lots of areas where there was little to nothing in it (goals, marks, tackles, inside 50’s, goal assists, rebound 50’s, 1%ers, score launches), more areas where Sinclair was noticeably ahead, that aren’t really worth mentioning, some areas where Houston was up by a bit that aren’t really worth mentioning, and these are the only key areas where Houston had the really clear advantage.

Contested marks:
Houston- 12
Sinclair- 2

Metres gained (per game)
Houston- 488m
Sinclair- 457m

Intercept marks:
Houston- 36
Sinclair- 20

Spoils:
Houston- 29
Sinclair- 13

Fair to say, after looking through the stats, that it’s very easy to see why Sinclair received almost 70% more coaches votes than Houston did this year. Despite his team winning 5 less games.

90 more disposals, 50% more contested possessions, 70% more ground ball gets, double the clearances, triple the centre clearances, triple the F50 ground ball gets, 30% more pressure acts, 20% more score involvements.

Obviously spending more time in the midfield helps Sinclair get better numbers in many of those stats, but they are a whole lot of the most important stats in footy right there, and Sinclair was well ahead to smashing him in all of them.

AFL Fantasy
Sinclair- $938,000
Houston- $831,000

SuperCoach
Sinclair- $594,700
Houston- $526,800

Coaches votes:
Sinclair- 44
Houston- 26

Baffling decision to pick Houston over Sinclair.

Wanganeen-Milera also received 35% more coaches votes than Houston, with 35. Again, despite his team winning 5 less games, which significantly reduces your chance of receiving votes.

Total coaches votes
63- M Holmes
46- N Martin
46- B Dale
44- J Sinclair
43- D Zorko (AA)
41- L Whitfield (AA)
40- N Blakey (AA)
38- C Wilkie
38- T Stewart
35- Wanganeen-Milera
30- J Clark
27- J Impey
26- D Houston (AA)
25- A McGrath
24- L Ryan (AA)

Dan gets 1 more coaches vote than Andy McGrath and 1 less than Jarman Impey and makes the team, while Max Holmes (who spent plenty of time off HB- certainly wayyy more than Nick Daicos spent on the wing!) gets a whopping 63 votes, and misses out.

Truly astonishing.

Holmes to the bench, Whitfield to the HBF, Houston the hell out of there.

Last year the two guys named on the HBF’s received 77 and 62 coaches votes respectively.

This year, 43 and 26! WTF!

Port says no and Pies need mids and
key position players not a HBF.

On SM-A136B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Houston would be a huge addition to Collingwood. The Magpies dropped from #1 in points scored starting from defensive 50 to 15th in the league this year. A large reason for this has been Daicos' transition from predominantly attacking half-back to inside mid. Having Houston wander the back half of the ground would be like having 2x Nick Daicos' - one in the guts and one creating from defence.

Houston would be a huge addition to Collingwood. The Magpies dropped from #1 in points scored starting from defensive 50 to 15th in the league this year. A large reason for this has been Daicos' transition from predominantly attacking half-back to inside mid. Having Houston wander the back half of the ground would be like having 2x Nick Daicos' - one in the guts and one creating from defence.
Yep, it’s one of the most important roles in footy these days and unless you want one of the Daicos’s playing there (which is far from ideal, given how you also need them in the midfield/wing), it seems like a gaping hole you have in your team, so it makes a significant amount of sense for you guys to be targeting him.

Not sure how you’d get it done though. A future first ain’t going to cut it.

I was actually quite surprised on the night to see Houston get another jacket last week, just off the gut feel of it, and now that I’ve dug a bit deeper, I’m actually baffled.

Last year he got in off a 62 coaches vote season. Perfectly understandable. No brainer. This year…

26 votes. 26!

Things That Make You Go Hmmm 🤔

Sinclair last year received 77, and this year, 44.

So almost 70% more coaches votes this year than Houston.

121 votes for Sincs and 88 for Houston, across the two years.

Some key stats for the year. Both played 22 games.

Disposals:
Sinclair- 596
Houston- 507

Contested possessions:
Sinclair- 186
Houston- 125

Effective disposals:
Sinclair- 448
Houston- 416

Clearances:
Sinclair- 67
Houston- 31

Centre clearances:
Sinclair- 26
Houston- 8

Ground ball gets:
Sinclair- 151
Houston- 89

F50 ground ball gets:
Sinclair- 11
Houston- 4

Score Involvements
Sinclair- 133
Houston- 108

Pressure acts:
Sinclair- 396
Houston- 292

Running bounces:
Sinclair- 15
Houston- 3

Then there were lots of areas where there was little to nothing in it (goals, marks, tackles, inside 50’s, goal assists, rebound 50’s, 1%ers, score launches), more areas where Sinclair was noticeably ahead, that aren’t really worth mentioning, some areas where Houston was up by a bit that aren’t really worth mentioning, and these are the only key areas where Houston had the really clear advantage.

Contested marks:
Houston- 12
Sinclair- 2

Metres gained (per game)
Houston- 488m
Sinclair- 457m

Intercept marks:
Houston- 36
Sinclair- 20

Spoils:
Houston- 29
Sinclair- 13

Fair to say, after looking through the stats, that it’s very easy to see why Sinclair received almost 70% more coaches votes than Houston did this year. Despite his team winning 5 less games.

90 more disposals, 50% more contested possessions, 70% more ground ball gets, double the clearances, triple the centre clearances, triple the F50 ground ball gets, 30% more pressure acts, 20% more score involvements.

Obviously spending more time in the midfield helps Sinclair get better numbers in many of those stats, but they are a whole lot of the most important stats in footy right there, and Sinclair was well ahead to smashing him in all of them.

AFL Fantasy
Sinclair- $938,000
Houston- $831,000

SuperCoach
Sinclair- $594,700
Houston- $526,800

Coaches votes:
Sinclair- 44
Houston- 26

Baffling decision to pick Houston over Sinclair.

Wanganeen-Milera also received 35% more coaches votes than Houston, with 35. Again, despite his team winning 5 less games, which significantly reduces your chance of receiving votes.

Total coaches votes
63- M Holmes
46- N Martin
46- B Dale
44- J Sinclair
43- D Zorko (AA)
41- L Whitfield (AA)
40- N Blakey (AA)
38- C Wilkie
38- T Stewart
35- Wanganeen-Milera
30- J Clark
27- J Impey
26- D Houston (AA)
25- A McGrath
24- L Ryan (AA)

Dan gets 1 more coaches vote than Andy McGrath and 1 less than Jarman Impey and makes the team, while Max Holmes (who spent plenty of time off HB- certainly wayyy more than Nick Daicos spent on the wing!) gets a whopping 63 votes, and misses out.

Truly astonishing.

Holmes to the bench, Whitfield to the HBF, Houston the hell out of there.

Last year the two guys named on the HBF’s received 77 and 62 coaches votes respectively.

This year, 43 and 26! WTF!
I didn't watch every STK game but ALOT of the ones I did were them just chipping it round the back half racking up crazy numbers / DT scores but doing little damage. The weight the broader AFL community put on possessions when there is so much junk touches being accumulated is ridiculous. You don't see soccer fans make a point their central defender is best because he passed it back to the keeper 40 times a game.

Whereas Port play a less possession gamestyle that focuses on corridor footy. Maybe the selectors value players who pull the trigger on the very difficult kick through the centre where the risk v reward is far greater. Also not sure the point in comparing centre clearances, F50 ground balls etc for the HBF position which is solely where Houston played for the entire season.

In stats which are more important to the HBF position Houston was comfortably in front of Sinclair in Kick eff, metres gained, int marks etc.

Furthermore. Why is this trade speculation post about Dan Houston being dominated by some campaigner comparing him to Sinclair?

Who cares about Sinclair?

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Dan Houston [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back