Speculation Dan Houston [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

It was 10 + 16 + 73 + F2 for Gibbs + 77 + F2 + F3.

The Future picks in 2018 were 19 and 37 from Carlton and 25 from the Crows (before compensation, and Academy/FS bids).

You didn't just downgrade 16 by 5 picks.

Its a clear two first rounders give up.
There isn't a big difference in pick 16 and 19 so the trade was pick 10 and a 12 pick downgrade from a 2nd rounder (essentially equivalent to a late 3rd rounder) so the trade was just pick 10 like I said.

^ yes but that’s the devil in the detail here there is no draft threat

Port will get what it wants or something virtually indistinguishable from that or he stays

Which given the quality of his disposal I am 100% happy with it’s not easy to find players like Houston even armed with high end picks
On the first point... ("It comes down to Port's willingness to let Houston go to Victoria") does anyone actually know whether something's transpired that means he needs to be living near his Victorian family next year? (eg health of a family member, etc)

Or is it a case of "I kinda miss catching up with my family every second weekend, so I'd like to move near them to make that happen"?

Feel like Port - most clubs - would respond differently, for a senior player, depending what end of that spectrum the situation lies.

On the first point... ("It comes down to Port's willingness to let Houston go to Victoria") does anyone actually know whether something's transpired that means he needs to be living near his Victorian family next year? (eg health of a family member, etc)

Or is it a case of "I kinda miss catching up with my family every second weekend, so I'd like to move near them to make that happen"?

Feel like Port - most clubs - would respond differently, for a senior player, depending what end of that spectrum the situation lies.
Not sure what the exact circumstances are

But his recent new partner is from and lives in melbourne

So I’m guessing she prefers to stay there then move to SA

That could be just 1 factor in this tho

Could be homesickness too and other family stuff

Can’t see him at Carlton - unless the waters parted & he fell magically into our lap somehow.

We don’t need another high profile HBF with a nice foot on a huge salary - unless he can play midfield/small forward of course!

Can’t see him at Carlton - unless the waters parted & he fell magically into our lap somehow.

We don’t need another high profile HBF with a nice foot on a huge salary - unless he can play midfield/small forward of course!
What wrong with Owies as a small forward? Kicked 32 goals, I don’t get it.

Dan showed his hand when he pulled out of the trade with the Dees: he wants to get home but not ant any cost.

He won't go to a Club he doesn't want to play for and Port won't accept an offer from a tyre kicker who can't put a top 10 pick on the table.
Won’t be coming to North then unless it’s for masochisim.

Doesn't really play like a traditional small forward - he plays more like a third tall. Good at finding space on the lead and is very reliable from a set shot anywhere within 40m but isn't a great crumber, doesn't put on great defensive pressure and isn't quick (the last two a bit of a microcosm of the whole team)

In saying all of that I would personally keep him because (without checking) he kicked just about more goals than the rest of our "small forward" options combined

In all seriousness if Port knocked back a future first from us for Houston they are insane.
Probably a 50% chance to be pick 1 next year
Unfortunately pick 1 is off the table for a view years, Richmond have that bad boy locked up.

Either do I - love Owies & a chance he stays. He’s a clutch set shot for goal - much required IMHO.

My comment re small forwards was more having a crack at how Williams has turned out for us - recruited as a midfielder, with a background as a HBF, now playing ( albeit well) as a small forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In all seriousness if Port knocked back a future first from us for Houston they are insane.

This same convo comes up every year. A team cannot trade a player to another club against their wishes in the current landscape. As much as Port may fancy that pick, Houston is never going to choose the Roos. A player nominates a club and they more often than not get there. Unless a bigger name player is purely money hungry, they never ask for trades to teams near the bottom of the ladder.

It’s an issue with the AFL landscape and equity. It’s crazy how this same topic comes up year after year and people still don’t understand that. Maybe one day the AFL will change and give clubs more power but as things stand, players have most of the power and dictate trades.

This same convo comes up every year. A team cannot trade a player to another club against their wishes in the current landscape. As much as Port may fancy that pick, Houston is never going to choose the Roos. A player nominates a club and they more often than not get there. Unless a bigger name player is purely money hungry, they never ask for trades to teams near the bottom of the ladder.

It’s an issue with the AFL landscape and equity. It’s crazy how this same topic comes up year after year and people still don’t understand that. Maybe one day the AFL will change and give clubs more power but as things stand, players have most of the power and dictate trades.
No I get it, he has to nominate us and I know he won't just playing out the value of our F1.

It's been mentioned North is willing to trade it out this year; no way we will get out of the bottom 3 next year absolutely no chance. It is a 1-3 pick in the draft next year.

The way you underestimate us is offensive; we could easily pull off another spoon.

I think you guys will improve next year there's some really good signs from a list management point of view of bringing guys like Parker and Darling in to help improve standards and help with leadership

I also really think you have nailed those really recent draft picks - Duurs Sheez Warlord etc

No I get it, he has to nominate us and I know he won't just playing out the value of our F1.

It's been mentioned North is willing to trade it out this year; no way we will get out of the bottom 3 next year absolutely no chance. It is a 1-3 pick in the draft next year.

Yeah it’s a tactic by Port to increase his value and you can’t blame them. They can turn around to other teams and be like ‘hey we were offered this by club X so up your offer’. Then the nominated club goes ‘yeah but he only wants to play for us’. With which the Power say ‘we’ll just hold him to his contact then’. Then it just comes down to how valid and important his reasons for leaving are. It’s the same thing every year. The result..Port receive less for him than how they rate him but more than what was originally offered. A middle ground. That strategy is pretty much the only power that clubs have as contracts mean very little.

I think North can move out of the bottom 3 next year. You should start to see some of the kids who’ve got 30-50 games under their belt start to have bigger impacts and for longer. You’ll soon jump past teams who have more experience but also more list cloggers.

Port Power won't be knocking it back despite them "saying" they want this year's pick, it would be Houston. He clearly want to play for a club in premiership contention which is why he knock back the Saints and picked Melbourne when they looked good before shit hit the fan and now Carlton.

Why would Houston be interested in going to North?
I doubt he would want us.
But if we are the only ones who offer Port enough we could pull off a Bradbury
At this stage we have a better chance than the blues because you want to keep pick 11.
Port will probably just hold him to his contract. They have said as much

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Dan Houston [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back