Trade Requested Daniel Rioli [UFA 2027] - Wants to join Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes but you're kicking out all your actual good players to do so.

The scorched earth approach hasn't work for any club that's done it yet, so it's interesting that Richmond appear to think it'll work for them.

North have way more talent than WCE for instance, but they've just finished bottom 2 for what the 4th/5th time in a row?

Eventually, losing doesn't mean all that much to players, so they end up just going through the motions and eventually requesting a trade to better sides.

It 'may' work out for Richmond but that would be defying history.
We aren’t kicking out anyone. They are all wanting to leave. We are just turning this into a great opportunity to replace an opportunistic fwd, a speedy hbf and a low skilled heart and soul type with some elite young talent.

We aren’t kicking out anyone. They are all wanting to leave. We are just turning this into a great opportunity to replace an opportunistic fwd, a speedy hbf and a low skilled heart and soul type with some elite young talent.
They're all contracted, other than Baker no?

If you wanted to keep them, you could.

Who's going to protect the kids?

Vlaustin & Nankervis?

How many free list spots are you guys likely to have? Surely not nine?
Pickett, Dusty, Grimes and Naismith already gone, Bolton, Baker, Rioli and Graham set to depart, Colina, Cumberland and Coultard to be delisted. That's 11
More than likely sending 21-22 into next year for 1sts if there's a suitable buyer/s.

Can someone please explain how rioli is worth pick 6 and 20? Or is this just the vic media trying to give Richmond the best draft hand.
The only way we get 20 is to stump up a sizeable proportion of Rioli's wage, sort of like band 3 compo at around $560k/year

Lol 6 and 26 for rioli!? No wonder port want so much for Houston!
It'll be 13 + 20. Richmond fans are this year's version of North fans last year.

That's more like it
There's a chance Richmond could squeeze more out of the Suns but it won't (shouldn't) involve pick 6. 13 + 20 is already valued at pick 4 so I would expect the Suns to be asking for something back on that trade even without adding another pick from their side.

It'll be 13 + 20. Richmond fans are this year's version of North fans last year.
Agree, and whether our fans like or not, that is still a bloody good deal for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You blokes talk in circles, one minute pick 6 is way overs, next minute pick 4 is about right (13 + 20)
I expect something minor to go back to the Suns but 13 + 30 would be the basis of the deal

Agree, and whether our fans like or not, that is still a bloody good deal for us.
Thank you! You guys are going to clean up this off-season and while it might hurt to lose some quality players now, you're going to be able to build a team to compete in Hawthorn and North Melbourne's window in a few years from the next two drafts.

I expect something minor to go back to the Suns but 13 + 30 would be the basis of the deal
Really depends on GCS salary cap, if they have issues then us paying a proportion of Rioli's wage might result in either an upgrade of the initial offer or a reduction in what has to go back in the 13-20 scenario. Losing Lukosius and getting him off the books would probably cancel that out though

Thank you! You guys are going to clean up this off-season and while it might hurt to lose some quality players now, you're going to be able to build a team to compete in Hawthorn and North Melbourne's window in a few years from the next two drafts.
We are, and it will come with a few years of pain which I am still coming to terms with, but at least we have the excitement of a bunch of kids coming through together, hopefully leading us to the other side.

I would rather be shit with hope than just shit haha

Can someone please explain how rioli is worth pick 6 and 20? Or is this just the vic media trying to give Richmond the best draft hand.
The simple answer is he isn't

The talk of us giving up a 2nd first rounder to have the Tigers pay part of his salary is highly unlikely considering the trade has been an open secret between the 2 clubs for months with the Suns knowing what $ they would need to fit into the cap

The Tigers fans are daring to dream and why not, they are going to have a mammoth hand in the draft

Edit: 2x picks would be possible if it’s 13 and 20 as some have suggested but not if 6 is involved

Last edited:
The simple answer is he isn't

The talk of us giving up a 2nd first rounder to have the Tigers pay part of his salary is highly unlikely considering the trade has been an open secret between the 2 clubs for months with the Suns knowing what $ they would need to fit into the cap

The Tigers fans are daring to dream and why not, they are going to have a mammoth hand in the draft

Edit: 2x picks would be possible if it’s 13 and 20 as some have suggested but not if 6 is involved
Jack Luko being moved on to make cap space rather than us contributing?

Jack Luko being moved on to make cap space rather than us contributing?
I believe it’s more to do with attitude, same with Rosas. Dimma is making a statement, one that’s been needed for quite some time. Both talented and will likely flourish in a new environment

Ellis’ contract amount being freed up and then Atkins next year will provide some cap relief.

I believe it’s more to do with attitude, same with Rosas. Dimma is making a statement, one that’s been needed for quite some time. Both talented and will likely flourish in a new environment

Ellis’ contract amount being freed up and then Atkins next year will provide some cap relief.
Makes sense, Rosas is a player we mentioned to GC as part of a potential trade option, the fact nothings been mentioned tells me he aint interested in us.

Yes but you're kicking out all your actual good players to do so.

The scorched earth approach hasn't work for any club that's done it yet, so it's interesting that Richmond appear to think it'll work for them.

North have way more talent than WCE for instance, but they've just finished bottom 2 for what the 4th/5th time in a row?

Eventually, losing doesn't mean all that much to players, so they end up just going through the motions and eventually requesting a trade to better sides.

It 'may' work out for Richmond but that would be defying history.
Except we are only potentially trading 3 or 4 players out of about 12 to 14 who are over 25 who will be on the list next year.

Off the top of my head the ones over 25 who are left will be

Vlastuin
Nank
Balta
Taranto
Short
Broad
Prestia
Lynch
McIntosh

And we have another cohort between 21 and 24 who have played 40 to 70 games.

Hardly scorched earth compared to North who basically traded or force retired (as you say) all its good and seasoned players.

I'm not saying we won't be near on or the bottom for the next 2 or even 3 years. Maybe it might be even more. But there are enough bigger bodies, experience and leaders in the meantime (on every line) to best avoid a long term wipeout that North have forced on themselves over the past 5 or 6 seasons and counting.

We also haven't ruled out poaching free agents over the next few years, something North have refused to do to date.

In any event, we have seen 3 flags in 4 years so if we did face an extended period on or near the bottom l, we can cry into our 3 flags 🤣

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Daniel Rioli [UFA 2027] - Wants to join Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back